Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I bought the 'The Official Cardiff Freshers Week Bands' from Fatsoma, but I went on the SU site, and they're selling the only official band.
    Did I buy the wrong band? Does this mean I won't get into any of the SU events? :/

ReputationRep:
    Exactly the same thought processes that I'm going through except I havnt bought a ticket yet. There's so many club promoters posting about the Collective Events that its really confusing.

I just made a thread trying to find out which events the most people will be going to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kelcea)
    I bought the 'The Official Cardiff Freshers Week Bands' from Fatsoma, but I went on the SU site, and they're selling the only official band.
    Did I buy the wrong band? Does this mean I won't get into any of the SU events? :/
    Can i have a link to the one you bought and i'll let you know

ReputationRep:
    Yer, the Su ones are the official ones

ReputationRep:
    the one you got is the collective events one
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    With regard to freshers, be careful with choosing which wristband to buy. Everyone that I know +myself only bought the Cardiff students union 'official' band which can be brought through their website, they are a bit pricey this year but the basic one is still good value. It does sell out closer to freshers so get it within the next fortnight. You will probably only go into town a few times so there really isn't much point getting the other wristbands (e.g. collective) as you are limited to one club per night, you can't just choose.

(I copy and pasted this from a post I made a few mins ago)

Be weary of promoters - they are not affiliated with Cardiff uni in any way and so are peddling their own events.

ReputationRep:
    The only 'official' wristband is the one on the SU website. Don't panic though. A lot of others have bought the collective events band.
    I would look into buying the SU one as well though, if you can afford it. You will still use the wristband you have bought so don't see it as a waste of money, because you'll still attend some events in town that it gives you access to.

ReputationRep:
    Hey quick question for people! on the SU sight it says that the 'all-inclusive' ticket does include the Freshers Ball .. but then at the bottom of the flyer (on the same webpage) says that tickets for the Freshers Ball are sold separately for a price of £20? Bit confused, can anyone help out?
    http://www.cardiffstudents.com/ents/event/912/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MazCam)
    Hey quick question for people! on the SU sight it says that the 'all-inclusive' ticket does include the Freshers Ball .. but then at the bottom of the flyer (on the same webpage) says that tickets for the Freshers Ball are sold separately for a price of £20? Bit confused, can anyone help out?
    If someone hasn't got the band but wants to go to the fresher's ball they can buy a ticket separately

(Original post by Kelcea)
    You got the wrong band. Easily done, message around and see if anyone wants it? I'll ask my friends for you and message you if anyone wants it .

ReputationRep:
    The all inclusive band includes entry to the ball, the standard band doesn't. They sell entry to the freshers ball so people who buy the standard band could also buy a ticket for the ball, if they wanted to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by themedicalgeek)
    With regard to freshers, be careful with choosing which wristband to buy. Everyone that I know +myself only bought the Cardiff students union 'official' band which can be brought through their website, they are a bit pricey this year but the basic one is still good value. It does sell out closer to freshers so get it within the next fortnight. You will probably only go into town a few times so there really isn't much point getting the other wristbands (e.g. collective) as you are limited to one club per night, you can't just choose.

(I copy and pasted this from a post I made a few mins ago)

Be weary of promoters - they are not affiliated with Cardiff uni in any way and so are peddling their own events.

Couldnt agree more. Most of the Facebook groups such as 'Cardiff Freshers 2013/2014' and the accomodation groups are actually all run and made by club promoters who are just trying to sell there wristbands as the 'official cardiff freshers wristband'. If you look on the website it there is even an offer for people to sell the wristbands at a £1 commission.

if you post on any of these cardiff Facebook groups and ask if anyone's bought the Student Union wristband then they'll delete your post, propaganda style.

ReputationRep:

There are two bands. The budget band (£30) doesn't include the freshers ball but the all-inclusive (£65) does.

ReputationRep:
    This is all sounding insanely pricey! Am I gunna be missing out if I just hit the clubs for Freshers instead of fussing around with wristbands? What do these wristbands actually get you?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

So don't panic first of all, you HAVEN'T bought 'the wrong' wristband.

There are the university SU run wristbands which are for all events over the two weeks at Cardiff's SU and all the events are in ONE club. These are available through the university.

Then there are the outside events company bands. There are a few competing events companies operating in the Cardiff university space and so this can also be confusing.

The Collective Events wristband which is what you have bought is for outside clubs and events such as Tiger Tiger, Soda, Oceana etc all the big venues in town and also the VIP includes the Tuesday night Boat Party. The benefit of having this is that it's available to ALL universities in the Cardiff area; Glamorgan, UWIC and Cardiff. This means the events will be bigger than the ones held only by one university.

Collective Events is behind the Cardiff Freshers Facebook page with about 9000 likes at the moment as well as the Halls facebook pages. It's my friend from home who runs the company and I've worked for him for the past year. I can assure you it's a well run company and anything you buy from them is never going to be a scam. They're just trying to increase their social presence but at the end of the day want you to enjoy your time at Freshers. They're in Cardiff for the long haul so wouldn't sell something that's not going to be good otherwise they'd never get anyone's repeat business.

I'm working for Collective again this year when i start at Cardiff as I trust their events and enjoyed the perks we get. They offer 50p per wristband sold and £1 per boat party ticket. Anyone who wants to work for Collective can apply so you could all earn some extra cash I'm a rep manager so will be looking to build a team up to promote regular events so if anyone wants to work then let me know!

In conclusion about the wristbands though, I'm going to buy both so I have a choice of where to go as not every night on just the one band is going to be the best. It also lets you decide when you get there and find out what everyone else is doing.

Sorry for the essay but I understand this is confusing but just wanted to let everyone know what is actually going on with Freshers. If you have any more questions please reply to me about this and I'll help

Look forward to meeting everyone at freshers wherever it may be; SU, Oceana, Boat Party etc xx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.