Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It didn't go we'll and I got BDD, the D grades are maths physics . My insurance uni has offered me a foundation engineering course. Is there any where I could get on a full course with these grades rather than a foundation do you think?

I had expected get bbc really. My as levels were bcccc and gcse were all v high. Am just annoyed really.

any advice please?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    The "lower" universities may accept you onto the course purely from UCAS points, but I would not suggest it. I am not a university elitist, but the lowest universities (I'm talking about really low down, not the "if it's not top 10 it's not worth doing" ones) do usually have a disadvantage in the quality of their equipment, resources and reputation. Many are not accredited, which means they might not be teaching to the industry standard. As such, I would really not consider going to one of them as you may put yourself in an even worse position.

A foundation year is probably your best bet, although you will still have to meet the standards to go onto the full course. If unsuccessful, you may have wasted a year of student finance and time on that, and you will have to pay that back when you start working and earning over £21k.

Is it not possible to do a resit year or more study at college? It would either be free, or vastly cheaper, so there is less risk to you that way.

ReputationRep:
    No definitely not at decent unis , engineering needs mathematicians like myself

Have you thought of other disciplines with foundation year

ReputationRep:
    Is the foundation part of the course not just a year extra on the front of the course to get you up to scratch in terms of maths/physics knowledge. If so that may not be the worst thing. An extra year but going to the right uni or being on the right course is surely worth it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    No, since the minimum A-level maths grade required for entry to an accredited bachelors of engineering degree in England and Wales is a C grade, and I don't know any Scottish universities that will take a D at A-level maths either.

ReputationRep:
    I also failed maths

ReputationRep:
    My foundation offer is for uwe, which really is nice. I could do retakes and take a year out, but then still only get an increase from dd to cc, which is only marginally better, and won't really get me in a better uni.

so I am thinking the foundation offer is my best option really?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cherrycrumble)
    My foundation offer is for uwe, which really is nice. I could do retakes and take a year out, but then still only get an increase from dd to cc, which is only marginally better, and won't really get me in a better uni.

so I am thinking the foundation offer is my best option really?
    just stick with it, people who usually do f.y. first perform better first year because they are well prepared.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.