Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What would you do?? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I received my AS level results today and am completely dissapointed with them,

Maths - E
    Economics - D
    ICT - E
    Business btec - D*

What would you do/recommend if you were in this position?
    Resit a year?
    Continue onto A2 (believe it or not)
    Drop down to a vocational course (BTEC etc.)

Would love some advice from people who have gone through this phase.

ReputationRep:
    I got BDDEE at As level, and after retakes, and continuing with A levels and a bit of hard work I came out with ABBCC. I'd definitely contiune if you're willing to be in the work and want to go to University next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shezshez)
    I got BDDEE at As level, and after retakes, and continuing with A levels and a bit of hard work I came out with ABBCC. I'd definitely contiune if you're willing to be in the work and want to go to University next year.
    Wow, Congrats and thanks, I'm definitely thinking of continuing, hopefully they allow me.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, don't be too disheartened. I'm sorry to hear you are disappointed, but A levels are quite a step up from GCSE and can be quite a shock to the system. Now that you know what to expect, you have to be honest with yourself. Did you really work as hard as you could? If so, then perhaps those subjects just aren't the ones for you, because if you're not achieving what you want at AS, you aren't likely to at A2. It's difficult for people on here to advise you simply because we are all different. What works for one person might not work for another. I would chat to your tutors who have had the chance to teach you, and probably understand you, your work ethic and your achievements to date a lot better than anyone else. If you believe you can turn things around, then going onto A2 might not be the craziest thing, but you have to be realistic. Starting afresh with new subjects could also work. I think what's most important to bear in mind is what the end goal is. What do you want to do after A levels? If you want to go to university, then you would probably need to do A levels, but you'd need to be realistic about your choices. You could also look into universities that offer a foundation year, as that too could be an option and they often have lower entry requirements. Your goal should help you decide what you need to do next, and should be what you keep in mind whilst working towards it. Good luck with it all!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stressworthy)
    Firstly, don't be too disheartened. I'm sorry to hear you are disappointed, but A levels are quite a step up from GCSE and can be quite a shock to the system. Now that you know what to expect, you have to be honest with yourself. Did you really work as hard as you could? If so, then perhaps those subjects just aren't the ones for you, because if you're not achieving what you want at AS, you aren't likely to at A2. It's difficult for people on here to advise you simply because we are all different. What works for one person might not work for another. I would chat to your tutors who have had the chance to teach you, and probably understand you, your work ethic and your achievements to date a lot better than anyone else. If you believe you can turn things around, then going onto A2 might not be the craziest thing, but you have to be realistic. Starting afresh with new subjects could also work. I think what's most important to bear in mind is what the end goal is. What do you want to do after A levels? If you want to go to university, then you would probably need to do A levels, but you'd need to be realistic about your choices. You could also look into universities that offer a foundation year, as that too could be an option and they often have lower entry requirements. Your goal should help you decide what you need to do next, and should be what you keep in mind whilst working towards it. Good luck with it all!
    Thanks a lot dude, i'll definitely take all of it into consideration. I am going to speak to my tutors and find out their opinion also on the matter, i am ambitious about progressing onto to University and the course that i want to do requires me to achieve AAB-BBB so I am definitely thinking of resitting a year with slightly changed subjects because these ones maybe weren't right for me. But the reason i am disappointed is because i cut off from everything for 5 months just constantly revising and putting in 10 hours on weekends and 4-5 on weekdays so that was a bummer for me, but i might need to change my style of revising. But thanks for your advice man, appreciated.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.