Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

i am a 26 year old hairdresser. One years care experience over 5 years ago...
    going to do an access course in healthcare and need to decide between adult nursing and midwifery...

I am wondering a few things from current students studying either courses...

- how many days do you go to uni generally?
    - how many days and hours do you work per week on placement?
    - which course is easier??
    - is adult nursing less stressful / responsibility than midwifery?!
    - if your studying nursing/ midwifery, how much care experience did you have before applying for uni?!
    - how many weeks holiday do you get?

if you have any info, it would be much appreciated!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nattynoo13)
    Hi everyone

going to do an access course in healthcare and need to decide between adult nursing and midwifery...

- if your studying nursing/ midwifery, how much care experience did you have before applying for uni?!

Holla! I'm starting this Sept in Manchester but each uni can be different so make sure you check when applying :^_^: Some unis are more focused towards having weeks where you spend two days at uni and 3 on placement whereas others have placement blocks of a few weeks each.

- Depends a lot on the Uni, but from what I can tell you're mostly going to be in 5 days a week.

- They say you should be averaging 35 hour weeks whether on placement or not, often when on placement you'll work the same shifts as your mentor

- I think it depends entirely on how much you enjoy it, Adult Nursing will probably have more variety but as such you may get placements in settings you don't enjoy. Just go with whichever looks more interesting to you.

- It'll depend a bit on what role you have, I imagine it's about the same but I can't be entirely sure. Either way you're still dealing in high-pressured environments where the patient will be expecting you to know your stuff

- I had a fair bit, I had done two placements for college, one at a care home and another with a mental health charity. I'm also an informal carer, have participated in charity events around college and volunteered with the learning disability students but that's it. It's not so much though about what experience you have but more about showing what you learnt in your personal statement (hence why being a hair-dresser can be very helpful if you know how to relate it) and how it will helps you as a professional and student. I will say though that Midwifery seems to be more demanding in what experience you have. If you can get a maternity ward placement or be a birthing parnter etc, then that would be great!

- Depends on the uni but I think most will have between 7-10 weeks. Normally there'll be a few weeks at the end where if you don't need to take resits or do extra shifts to make time then you'll have a longer summer holiday

Hope this helps! All the best for your application :hugs:

Edit: oh I forgot to mention, some unis have a 'Discover Day' where they'll give you taster lectures, show you the uni, the course and answer all your questions on the course so see if there's any you fancy if you're struggling to make up your mind :^_^: Looks great on the statement as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nattynoo13)
    Hi everyone

I'm going into my 2nd year of adult nursing so I'll try and answer

- It varies, if you're not on placement at the same time it's about 4 days a week but it's not always all day. When you are on placement it might be 1 or 2 days in uni and the rest in placement.

- Again it varies, some placements require 24, 32 or 40 hour weeks. You have to do 2300 hours of placement over the 3 years to register with the NMC.

- Neither course is easy, they both have their difficulties. Midwives have to know a hell of a lot about a certain area where as nurses have to be knowledgeable about different areas.

- You're dealing with people, both careers have a lot of responsibility. I would say nursing is very stressful, can't really comment on midwifery.

- I volunteered on an ortho ward for 2 hours a week for a year before I left to go to uni. I also shadowed a midwife and a nurse for a day.

- We get 7 weeks annual leave each year with about 4 reading weeks thrown in.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.