Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do you feel about birthdays? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've never really been too bothered about my birthday nowadays, I feel like I've grown out of the excitement. I guess ever since I stopped receiving presents the day just came less important. Other people around my age however and even much older are much more psyched about their birthdays and think its necessary to do something to celebrate, and when I tell them that I'd just like to spend my day in they find that really really weird? I really hate to be the centre of attention over something as trivial as a birthday so throwing a party or organising a big day out really doesn't appeal to me. Does anyone else feel like this? 18 in two weeks btw

ReputationRep:
    I tend not to make birthdays about myself. For my 21st I had a big party but it wasn't for me, I just wanted my friends to have a great time! I don't want to be the centre of attention, I just make sure that I enjoy myself, and everyone else does too. That's what I like to celebrate on my birthday, having awesome people in my life

ReputationRep:
    I don't like celebrating my birthdays and never really liked. I don't see a big deal in birthday anyway, it's just getting older and older

ReputationRep:
    Happy birthday for 2 weeks time! Also I'm the same, I never make a big deal out of my birthday. I'll order some food with my family, receive some presents and some money but that's it really, it's never a big event and I prefer it that way.

ReputationRep:
    I feel that as i grow older, i begin to care less about birthdays.

ReputationRep:
    Hate them with my life.
    They're one of the things that make me enjoy being a loner. Although I do like that they give me a reason to binge eat.

My friends know I can't take birthdays seriously and if they say they wanna celebrate theirs then I'm fine with that but when it comes to mine, I refuse to celebrate. They know this yet every year for the seven or eight years I've known them, they've pestered me about going out and doing something for mine. It's nice they care, it's just really unnecessary. Funnily enough, no matter whose birthday it is, if we do make any plans then they all get canceled because we end up either standing outside or sitting in a cafe or library and we just basically celebrate via conversation. It's the one thing we all enjoy doing more than anything so for all of us a birthday like this is always a birthday well spent.

The only reason I really dislike my birthday is that either during or after celebrations, disaster has a tendency to occur: Some time after my birth both my grandads died. It wasn't exactly on the day of my birth, but still I can't help but find it uncanny how both of their deaths were so close to the date. Every time I think about what my parents (specifically mum) had to go through during both of their fathers' deaths and working and caring for me all at the same time, I can't help but feel guilty and horrible because they were mourning and I was there just making things worse for them.
    Other reasons include my fifth birthday possibly instigating the trigger for my social anxiety; on my 8th or 9th birthday my cousin started a huge fight and threatened to stab either one or both of my sisters (he was a ****ing idiot - and still is - but that memory of him did get me my first B grade in my first GCSE English coursework. ); my 16th birthday was pretty much the last birthday my cousins and I celebrated together before our entire family broke apart. That really affected me because they were more like siblings or close friends than mere cousins and it may have led to a decline in my mental health.

Also, another thing about birthdays is that I don't understand why people celebrate in certain ways, like going to the cinema. Why would you want to sit in silence for a couple of hours when you could be having real fun? That's not much of a celebration, imo. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I think I've stopped caring about birthdays since the age of about 9, really.

ReputationRep:
    Well I stopped caring after I stopped getting good presents. Though the nearer my birthday comes, I always get a little bit excited and hopeful, only to be disappointed when the day comes.

ReputationRep:
    It's my 21st on Sunday and it all seems a bit of a hassle, I will appreciate any presents But going for a meal with the family and going out with mates with the focus on me is something I hate :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    I just like getting presents...that's all

ReputationRep:
    I don't find birthdays to be all that special. My birthday is during the summer, when all of my friends are gone, which means I can't do anything special besides receiving some presents and going to a restaurant. I appreciate the presents and the good food, but the entire thing seems a little forced to me. I would much rather do something with my friends and forget about the birthday aspect of the day, as it literally means nothing to me. Getting a year older changes nothing from my perspective, while others seem to have epiphanies and valuable life lessons or something.

ReputationRep:
    Im not really that fussed about them now Im older, however I dont know if thats partly due to mine being two weeks after christmas when everyone is skint so Ive never really been able to do much for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.