Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will i.struggle? Will The maths be difficult from the get go?

Bump

ReputationRep:
    BUmp

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's difficult for anyone to comment without knowing if you are studying straight economics/which university you are going to. However, in general I would think yes it's going to be quite challenging to do economics without having maths A level.

ReputationRep:
    Are you going this year? There's still time to start teaching yourself - I would get a C1 Edexcel textbook (they're quite thin), and just go through doing every exercise. If you get on well, do C2-C4, and maybe S1, and you'll have a decent grounding.

ReputationRep:
    I did GCSE maths and although there was an option to do Further Maths, which is on a similar level to AS Maths at GCSE, I didn't do it. We did OCR AS Maths, so we did C1 exam in January and C2 and S1 in June. I can say that it was a bit of a struggle as the other members of my maths class had already covered the majority of the topics in further maths, so I did need to work harder. I found that it the different modules, C1 and S1 in particular, wasn't that much different from the GCSE questions, obviously at A-Level standard. I'm not saying it's not going to be a struggle and you will have to work extremely hard, but it's totally worth it! I mean, you'll come out with a maths A-Level, now tell me that doesn't sound good! Just work hard, and start looking on the internet at some topics you'll be covering now so you can have that knowledge when you go into A-levels. Good luck and believe in yourself!

ReputationRep:
    Most straight economics courses require maths at level. Check out which course and unis you like as joint honours at lower unis may be best

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I was in the same boat.

Most people on here will tell you that you need A-level maths. This simply isn't the case. They say that because everybody on here is obsessed with talking about the top 5 unis, forgetting that there are a hundred others that do economics.

And I dont just meas rubbish ones. Sheffield, Birmingham, Nottingham and Leicester all do straight econ courses that have very manageable maths for GCSE students (as long as you're generally quite good at it). The first 3 are Russel Group Unis!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.