The Student Room Group

Do I still have a chance at vetmed with my AS results?

I'm incredibly disappointed with my results- I got CCCD in biology,chemistry, psychology and maths respectively but I tried so hard. I know I could have got As, my mocks went well and I was getting high grades all year so I felt so confident before opening my envelope this morning :frown:
I'm desperately trying to find somewhere to let me start year 12 again as I wasn't well for much of the year causing me to be absent and not focused, and I feel I could make it work if I had the chance again. Should I bother with that (as it may be frowned upon by unis) or just take my chances and try 10x harder at A2?
I would retake year 12 if I was you. A2 is harder than AS so you need to ideally have a good footing to start off with. Maths is your worst one so it might be an idea to pick another subject? Only Cambridge and possible the Scottish unis (not sure- check this) require maths A level so you wouldn't be restricting your choices if you picked a subject you do better at.

I was ill during year 12 and only allowed to be in sixth form for 50% of my lessons. My focus was incredibly poor. I ended up with good grades, but could not tackle Chemistry AS which I dropped and restarted in year 13. In year 13 I finished with A2s in Bio, Maths, Physics and AS Chemistry. Obviously I had to have a full Chemistry A2 to apply to most of the unis in the UK. My school told me they could not take me on for "year 14" because I already had three AAAs and that's enough to apply to uni (but not for vet med which needed Chemistry). However, my doctor knew I was really depressed about not being to apply for my dream so gave school a phone call that they should let me stay an extra year, and with persuasion of my mum they let me stay. Plenty of people in my school redo year 12 due to poor grades, so not sure what all the fuss was about me. Also, I went to other sixth forms who were willing to take me with open arms for an extra year. So, in theory, you should be able to retake year 12 unless council funding has changed. Get your parents involved too as schools don't always treat you like an adult unfortunately, and ask around different sixth forms too.

As for applying to uni, my school referee wrote in my UCAS reference that I was absent due to illness a lot during sixth form (school was involved with my medical team and aware of my ongoing problems), and this is why it took me 3 years to do my A levels. I got interviewed everywhere I applied first time, so obviously unis do not discriminate against you for retaking a year due to ill health affecting your studies.

Hope this helps.
Reply 2
Original post by SilverstarDJ
I would retake year 12 if I was you. A2 is harder than AS so you need to ideally have a good footing to start off with. Maths is your worst one so it might be an idea to pick another subject? Only Cambridge and possible the Scottish unis (not sure- check this) require maths A level so you wouldn't be restricting your choices if you picked a subject you do better at.

I was ill during year 12 and only allowed to be in sixth form for 50% of my lessons. My focus was incredibly poor. I ended up with good grades, but could not tackle Chemistry AS which I dropped and restarted in year 13. In year 13 I finished with A2s in Bio, Maths, Physics and AS Chemistry. Obviously I had to have a full Chemistry A2 to apply to most of the unis in the UK. My school told me they could not take me on for "year 14" because I already had three AAAs and that's enough to apply to uni (but not for vet med which needed Chemistry). However, my doctor knew I was really depressed about not being to apply for my dream so gave school a phone call that they should let me stay an extra year, and with persuasion of my mum they let me stay. Plenty of people in my school redo year 12 due to poor grades, so not sure what all the fuss was about me. Also, I went to other sixth forms who were willing to take me with open arms for an extra year. So, in theory, you should be able to retake year 12 unless council funding has changed. Get your parents involved too as schools don't always treat you like an adult unfortunately, and ask around different sixth forms too.

As for applying to uni, my school referee wrote in my UCAS reference that I was absent due to illness a lot during sixth form (school was involved with my medical team and aware of my ongoing problems), and this is why it took me 3 years to do my A levels. I got interviewed everywhere I applied first time, so obviously unis do not discriminate against you for retaking a year due to ill health affecting your studies.

Hope this helps.

I think redoing the year is the best option as well, thanks for being so helpful. Good luck with your studies!
Reply 3
Be careful. Id ask the universities first, by email is easiest, that you would apply to. Even though the previous poster got in, it was due to ill health and many universities do not accept retakes of the entire years.

I would say try your best at a2 and if you still dont do so well then approach the course by a previous degree or do a preliminary year (nottingham does this). It depends how much youre willing to do.
Reply 4
Retaking the year sounds sensible if you feel you haven't got a good grounding, if this isn't possible then you may be able to get your Cs up to As by resitting modules alongside your A2 exams but if the foundations are shaking this would be a pretty stressful route

Original post by leprechaaun
Approach the course by a previous degree.

Unless you have money to burn this is a really, really bad idea as most graduates following this route will vouch for. Student finance will only fund one degree and many of the vet school expect decent A levels as well as a 2.1 in the degree.
Reply 5
I retook year 12 as I was also very ill in year 12. My school did exactly the same as Silverstar's and wrote on my UCAS reference the reasons why. My head of 6th form refused my request to resit however I got my parents and the Head involved and was eventually allowed.
I applied to Nottingham, Liverpool, Bristol and RVC and had interviews at 3/4. I received an offer from Liverpool so I would say that redoing the year is worth it.
A school friend of mine also resat year 12 and has ended up with an offer from Liverpool to study Medicine. She got 3/4 interviews as well. We both checked out our respective uni's before applying to find ones that don't discriminate against full year resits. Research your choices carefully. Hope this is helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending