Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. Just a few questions & uncertainties about perhaps applying for PPE at Oxford this year.

Got my AS results today and I got AAAA in English literature, Maths, History & Philosophy/Ethics. My first question is should I disclose my UMS marks? I achieved 300/300 in maths, 200/200 in English, 197/200 in Philosophy/Ethics, 169/200 in History. History could have been higher, average As on both exams.

Secondly, if I were to disclose UMS, would my appalling general studies AS grades (an E and a B), giving me a C overall, jeopardise this? I would really like Oxford to know about my maths and english but would I be looked down up because of my **** general studies? Or is it best just to give grades? More to the point, what impact if any do you think general studies will have on my application? Has anyone got any experience of applying to competitive courses and universities with poor grades in general studies?

Thirdly, what is people's instinct about carrying on all 4? I'm not sure what to do - definitely carrying on English & Maths though.

Just a bit of background, I'm a state school student, and always have been, currently at a sixth form college in the north-east of England. GCSEs: 9A*s 1B and I attended the UNIQ summer school for English literature but have since decided to apply for PPE.

Any responses would be appreciated, great to hear some personal experiences and your opinions. Thanks a lot.

Christian

ReputationRep:
    General studies is not taken seriously by top unis so you have nothing to worry about. I think you should disclose your ums as they are outstanding. There are various ways to do this. eg you could get your teachers to disclose them in your reference - they could say 'outstanding student as confirmed by ums scores of x,y,z' etc. They don't need to mention GS, which is largely irrelevant.

I think you normally have to disclose all your grades so unis will see your general studies grades even if you don't disclose the ums.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot, appreciate the advice!

ReputationRep:
    Those UMS are amazing! Well done :eek: haha but yeah Oxbridge don't really care about general studies so you shouldn't try to hide it. And I would say that you seem perfectly capable of taking on all four subjects to A2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by navyspaces)
    No one will care about your General Studies grade, though I'd like to say that I'm in for PPE this year and General was my best subject

Your AS grades are excellent and should definitely be mentioned somehow. Put them on your UCAS form, but more importantly get your teachers to mention them in their references, and in relation to other students. "Christian achieved the highest maths mark in the school etc" is definitely something worth having in there.

Most students do four, but if you're worried can carry on with four but then prioritise the three you're most likely to get As in if you think you might end up with the dreaded AABB

GCSEs are mighty fine (I got 8A*s and an A), and my ASs were AAAB (and full marks in General )
    Hi. Thanks for the advice. I am thinking about abandoning any schemes or tactful plans and just declaring all UMS and then just leaving it to the universities to decide now I've presented my self.

is this a bit reckless, or will it signal a willingness to present myself as honestly as possible? If I were to declare all UMS it would be as follows:

Maths (Core 1 & 2, Statistics 1): 300/300
    Modern History: 169/200
    Philosophy & Ethics: 197/200
    English Literature: 200/200
    General Studies: 124/200

My instinct towards this idea is that it will signal an honesty - maybe not conventionality but then it probably was my unconventionally that landed me my C in gen studs - from which universities are free to reject and offer to at liberty. Or is this something that just isn't done and will cost me all my offers and entire future?haha

Thanks again. Appreciate the time spent giving advice :')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChristianBenson)
    Secondly, if I were to disclose UMS, would my appalling general studies AS grades (an E and a B), giving me a C overall, jeopardise this?
    No.

I would really like Oxford to know about my maths and english but would I be looked down up because of my **** general studies? Or is it best just to give grades? More to the point, what impact if any do you think general studies will have on my application?
    Again, no. Just go ahead and declare your excellent UMS - as navyspaces said, nobody cares about General Studies.

Thirdly, what is people's instinct about carrying on all 4? I'm not sure what to do - definitely carrying on English & Maths though.
    Up to you. Doing 4 looks good and gives you the advantage of having an extra cushion subject to meet the offer with - so if something goes wrong in one subject you'll still have 3 As - but may have the disadvantage of spreading your time more thinly between subjects. I'd personally recommend that you drop a subject if you didn't really like it/had to work harder to get a good grade/are worried about time management, but otherwise might as well continue.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry guys for being such a stresshead hahaha, appreciate your advice! Thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.