The Student Room Group

Meeting the entry requirements with Psychology, Biology and Chemistry?

Hello everyone. :smile:

I never applied last year and decided to take a gap year instead to strengthen my application. I just got my results and I achieved A*AAB in Psychology, Biology, Chemistry and Physics respectively (also have a B in AS Maths). Is Psychology considered an acceptable subject? I know some universities like Cambridge view it as a "soft" subject while others consider it a science. I know up to 1 "soft" subject is okay but I'm feeling really paranoid so I decided to post this thread. I'm not sure why Psychology is considered soft, there's so much to remember and it takes a lot of hard work. I really want to apply to Imperial and from what I've read, my subject choices seem alright but I think I just need to hear it from someone else. :colondollar: I think I'm still in awe over my results and that I can actually apply to medicine!

Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Original post by cat-lover
Hello everyone. :smile:

I never applied last year and decided to take a gap year instead to strengthen my application. I just got my results and I achieved A*AAB in Psychology, Biology, Chemistry and Physics respectively (also have a B in AS Maths). Is Psychology considered an acceptable subject? I know some universities like Cambridge view it as a "soft" subject while others consider it a science. I know up to 1 "soft" subject is okay but I'm feeling really paranoid so I decided to post this thread. I'm not sure why Psychology is considered soft, there's so much to remember and it takes a lot of hard work. I really want to apply to Imperial and from what I've read, my subject choices seem alright but I think I just need to hear it from someone else. :colondollar: I think I'm still in awe over my results and that I can actually apply to medicine!

Thanks in advance!

Your subject choices are perfectly good and apart from a select few universities that want 3 sciences at A2, you can apply to most universities. Psychology is most definitely not a 'soft' subject and it will actually give you something to talk about in your PS as well as give you a nice little head start in ethics, psychology and sociology in medical school.

Edit: I believe Imperial would accept those A Levels.
Reply 2
Original post by Kyalimers
Your subject choices are perfectly good and apart from a select few universities that want 3 sciences at A2, you can apply to most universities. Psychology is most definitely not a 'soft' subject and it will actually give you something to talk about in your PS as well as give you a nice little head start in ethics, psychology and sociology in medical school.

Yayyy, thanks! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by cat-lover
Yayyy, thanks! :biggrin:

Alas, my friend tells me Imperial don't consider Psychology to be a science (but neither of us are sure) so you'd be best to email their admissions team and ask.

UCL will accept it regardless though, if you want to consider that.

Actually medicine itself is a soft science, Hard sciences are theoretical and experimental chemistry and physics and mathematics. Biology and medicine require not a lot brain power to understand.
Reply 5
Alas, my friend tells me Imperial don't consider Psychology to be a science (but neither of us are sure) so you'd be best to email their admissions team and ask.

UCL will accept it regardless though, if you want to consider that.

Alright, thank you! :smile: Will email them now.
Reply 6
Original post by nothepreacher
Actually medicine itself is a soft science, Hard sciences are theoretical and experimental chemistry and physics and mathematics. Biology and medicine require not a lot brain power to understand.

In which case medicine isn't a science. This is besides the point. It isn't relevant to the question the OP asked and one could debate this topic for hours.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending