Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    deary me looks like full time at tescos is on the cards for me lol defo wnt get into uni now as i needed an A in maths n around 70% in tht exam! does any1 know frm past c4 papers what % u needed to get 80points n 70 points??

ReputationRep:
    was a really good paper i thought ..
    made up for c3 being tricky

ReputationRep:
    I'm *so* glad most of you found that tricky. I really didnt like that paper.

Its annoying, because i do seem to know the stuff (when i do questions at home, i'm fine). But in an exam... :mad:

ReputationRep:
    and then there was the use of differentiation by parts for that ln question.

ReputationRep:
    Difficult paper i thought! Nothing on integration by substitution which was surprising!

ReputationRep:
    yh that was ok the parts 1 .. was just a proof 1.5ln2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danmufc88)
    deary me looks like full time at tescos is on the cards for me lol defo wnt get into uni now as i needed an A in maths n around 70% in tht exam! does any1 know frm past c4 papers what % u needed to get 80points n 70 points??
    Last June, you needed 52/75 for an A (80pts), and judging the way some people found the paper - the grade boundaires will probably stay around the same level.

I found the paper okish - though I did leave the 8 mark formulating the differnetiatial eqn shizz...Think I should've done ok enough to get my A

ReputationRep:
    That was the hardest paper I've ever sat in my life. (no exaggeration) I'm so glad I only need 28% for an A. But whether I'll get that or not is highly questionable!!!

ReputationRep:
    cheers sarah hope so! wen the paper n solutions are available wil sum1 send me a msg or sumat cos im nt v gd at spottin these things lol?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm from Spain and I'm sitting Biology edexcel, maths edexcel, spanish cambridge and media AQA in a British school.
    I thought C3 was an evil paper but was quite pleased with C4 (comparatively!). Everyone in my class came out gloomy though and several people reckon if they got all they answered correct they can only get 35% maximum. I'm glad to hear everyone found C3 so hard though! Hopefully grade boundaries will be VERY VERY VERY low!
    Nash

ReputationRep:
    i found the paper challenging but fair, reckon i'll get full marks.

don't get mad though - this is my 3rd year doing A levels (this is an intensive one year a level course) and i've been revising for the past five weeks at least, so I'd have shot myself it i'd found c4 too difficult.

ReputationRep:
    Yaay Edexcel Maths finito .. This paper pushed it a bit and there were a few 'heavy' calculations like the proof that, that integral = 2/3 ln3 , but i must say unlike previous papers they gave u the answer to prove, like the last one where they gave you dV/dt... Hope all went well for all!!

ReputationRep:
    QUESTION 7

a) Surface area, S=6x^2
    ds/dx = 12x

dx/dt = ds/dt x dx/ds
    dx/dt = 8 x 1/12x
    dx/dt = 8/(12x) =2/(3x) Therefore k=2/3

b) dv/dt = dv/dx x dx/dt
    V = x^3
    dv/dx = 3x^2
    dv/dt = 3x^2 x 2/(3x) (from part a)
    dv/dt = 2x
    As V = x^3
    x = V^(1/3)
    So: dv/dt = 2V^(1/3)

c) t=0 V=8

dv/dt = 2V^(1/3)
    integral 1/(V^(1/3)) dv = integral 2 dt
    integral V^-(1/3) dv = integral 2 dt
    So: (3/2)V^(2/3) = 2t + c

Insert values of V and t, C = 6

(3/2)V^(2/3) = 2t + 6

V=16root2, t=unknown

(3/2)(16root2)^(2/3) = 2t + 6
    2t = (3/2)(16root2)^(2/3) - 6
    2t = 6
    t = 3

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...=edexcel+maths

ReputationRep:
    The paper wasnt difficult. No tricky questions like Jan2006 They were all straight forword. I did each and every thing correct according to me. But i think i messed up the first tangent equation. was it y=x+1 ? I know its strange but i got it this. Does anyone remeber the first question? i know the point was (0,1) but i cant remeber the eq.
    Apart from that, i think all the questions went correct. One doubt... The vectors sum (b) part said to prove all 3 points lie on same line. So wht i did, i showed that the angle between AP and PB was 180... is this correct?
    I think ill loose like 7 marks or something. not more then that i hope..
    And yeah i found it easier then C3 and C4 of jan2006 and jun2005.

Hope all of u get good marks.

ReputationRep:
    The first question wanted u to find the normal not the tangent... also proving that there was 180 / 0 degrees between the lines in the vector question proves that they were parallel, not collinear...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matmike)
    Brainstorm any answers you got guys:
    1. 2y - 2 + 7x = 0
    2. -1 - x + 4x^3

3. Area = 12 units2
    Volume = 9 pi squared

7c) t = 3

Oh yes! lol, vectors (2, 3, 7) or something

ReputationRep:
    well guyz to be honest ....my c3 and todays c4 went pretty gud..... in c3 i screwed up-3root7\4 thing....i 4got to give the -.....nd today it went great except for collinear ....thingy i got 2:3 ratio....but i didnt get wat they meant for prove they r collinear..i guess if the ratio is right ..i might get a mark...

well im expecting 99 in c3 and 99 in c4....

thanks to our math sir..... his da best ....trust me .... u should all *** down to bd ....and get pvt tutions....da skuls here suck .... so we have to get pvt tution ..... but to bad ... our sir he got sum job.... so he is not gonna teach nemore...

srry for goin off topic,.... cudnt help it....im so happy:p: i wish phy a2 was gud...

ReputationRep:
    yupp, agreeing with matmike and ThornsnRoses!! got a couple of smaua's too, but not all (maybe ive just forgotten!)

I found it quite tricky, but i think i did it ok - I was concentrating so much harder than i normally do, so hopefully cut out the dumb mistakes. I normally hate vector questions but i found this one ok. And for that explainy 1-marker on the trapezium rule, did anyone else write an entire paragraph of complete rubbish!? i was waffling so much lol. stupid, only 1 mark.

Had had 2 nasty physics papers in the morning too, so my head hurt so much by the end!!

ReputationRep:
    "thingy i got 2:3 ratio....but i didnt get wat they meant for prove they r collinear..."

we had to proive that?? i thought it just said "given that they are collinear"...hmmm :confused:

ReputationRep:
    for the collinear bit, i think u just had to show that any two of the vectors AB AP or PB are parallel, and then say that they lie on the same line. i was wondering if we had to do anything else.

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 23 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 24 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.