Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Less than a week ago I purchased a Z580 levono laptop with windows 8, to be specific, one of these:
    http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/Lenovo_Z580_1336876.html

Sometimes when I turn it on (I think about 25%ish of the time) I'll come back to it around 3 minutes later. It will be completely off, and I'll turn it on again and then it will actually turn on.

It shows the Levono sign, and then just switches off.

The battery isn't in it (it's on around 40% being stored out of the machine) but there's no chance at all that the plug has been disconnected.

Is this likely to be a fault with windows 8 or the laptop itself?
    Should I send it back to the supplier?
    Thanks a lot, TTML

Edit: When I start up it doesn't do any kind of system recovery, the start up is completely normal. As if nothing happened.

ReputationRep:
    In BIOS there should be a function that stops the computer from turning off when error-ing. Basically the computer sees there is an error then turns off. You will no doubt find, when you turn this function off you will get a blue screen.

Got this a lot when working at the school, it's a common problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dand666)
    In BIOS there should be a function that stops the computer from turning off when error-ing. Basically the computer sees there is an error then turns off. You will no doubt find, when you turn this function off you will get a blue screen.

Got this a lot when working at the school, it's a common problem.
    Shouldn't it tell me there was an error on the next start up though?
    Is it worth returning to the manufacturer?

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, just take it back. You've had it a week. There really shouldn't be any problems. There is a fair chance you might be able to fix it but why should you? I can't see why anything that would seem to have this kind of difficulty to fix should be happening. Without knowing exactly what happens(for example, if it hits the windows logo or whether there's multiple beeps at POST) I can't be sure but there's a fair chance you might need to go into the BIOS as dand said but most people wouldn't and shouldn't be mucking about with the BIOS. I would suggest calling tech support but in all honesty that's probably a bad idea; you've got to explain it them and may miss vital information, you've got to follow their advice which if you're not at all acquainted with it may be difficult. More hassle than it's worth. Either take it back to the shop or I'm sure Lenovo has an RMA service, it must do. Try and get a new one if you can.

Edit: Hold a sec, just reread the OP. The power cable isn't loose at all, is it? Put the battery in and see if it still happens with the battery in. You really should rule that out first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    Shouldn't it tell me there was an error on the next start up though?
    Is it worth returning to the manufacturer?
    After going into the BIOS then enabling the 'Turn off when it errors' function then it'll no doubt blue screen.

But if i was you i'd take it back as Alexs said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dand666)
    After going into the BIOS then enabling the 'Turn off when it errors' function then it'll no doubt blue screen.

But if i was you i'd take it back as Alexs said.
    I rang up Lenovo and they told me to restore it to it's factory settings, so we'll see if the problem continues after that. But if it does then I'll insist on it!
    I'm quite stressed out as I was meant to move out yesterday and the flat fell through, so hopefully my decision to restore it to factory settings wasn't too reactionary...but it might have been :s .

ReputationRep:
    I rang up Lenovo and they told me to restore it to it's factory settings, so we'll see if the problem continues after that. But if it does then I'll insist on it!
    I'm quite stressed out as I was meant to move out yesterday and the flat fell through, so hopefully my decision to restore it to factory settings wasn't too reactionary...but it might have been :s .
    Where did you purchase the laptop from? I'd send it back immediately through the seller.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dathtom)
    Where did you purchase the laptop from? I'd send it back immediately through the seller.
    saveonlaptops. I've done a system restore and I'm still well within the 28 days, so I'll see if it does it again.
    It's funny because I purchased the brand on the basis of the reliability. Though I'm not unconvinced that windows 8 could be the problem. It's hard to say really :/ .

ReputationRep:
    saveonlaptops. I've done a system restore and I'm still well within the 28 days, so I'll see if it does it again.
    It's funny because I purchased the brand on the basis of the reliability. Though I'm not unconvinced that windows 8 could be the problem. It's hard to say really :/ .
    Is it better yet?
    Its generally a good laptop, I recall a lot of tsr users buying the z580 last year for a similar price

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Is it better yet?
    Its generally a good laptop, I recall a lot of tsr users buying the z580 last year for a similar price
    I'm not sure, I'll have to turn it on and off a lot shortly, no problems yet though!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 17, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.