Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Right, so I'm thinking of doing Paramedic Science at university 2014, but have no idea what to do for work experience, or what the entry requirements/tests are?

I'm definitely applying to Birmingham City University and Coventry, but I don't know about the rest of my options.

I ask this nicely - please just answer, don't post about how you're in the same situation. If you need answers, just follow

ReputationRep:
    I hope this is in the right area :

I am thinking of applying for paramedic science degrees for 2014 entry, I have heard that there are maths and fitness tests as part of the application, could anyone give me an idea what these include and how to train for the fitness test

thanks

ReputationRep:
    This is an good resource to read: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...ng_a_Paramedic

From what I understand the general requirements for entry to a paramedic course are challenging.

Academically a strong A Level science grade is preferred but a level 3 health/science access course is also accepted. If you have a low math GCSE it may be worth retaking it to give you a better chance.

Experience wise you need to have done work in some related healthcare or ambulance role. This could be volunteering at St John Ambulance or as a community responder, working in an entry level job with the patient transport service or looking after people as a health care assistant for example. The more and longer the better. Take a look at the NHS Job site and look at what your local ambulance trust is doing.

A driving licence is also a must but a c1 licence is preferred.

A few years ago people could progress via the workplace to paramedic (from ECA, EMT etc). Though these roles are being phased out from what I understand by the nhs, and the most obvious route to the paramedic role is now through university. This makes the placements competitive as they are not only sought after by young graduates but by health professionals.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    You can use pretty much anything as experience on a personal statement as long as you can show what you've learnt and how it will help you on the course/as a paramedic. Although experience in the health sector is great things like Saint John won't necessarily secure you a place as a lot of people join sja just to use it on their application but haven't actually done anything with them of any use by the time they apply. The best thing really is to be able to show experience of working with people, as part of a team and individually.

The fitness tests vary between uni's. some have them and some don't. The most common ones are the bleep test or the Belfast step test. Along with grip and back strength tests. As for maths I can't really help as never done a uni interview with one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for all your help.

I already have A grade Maths GCSE, have done Health and Social Care (with work experience) and also massage work with vulnerable people in the community for a while. I'm a qualified first aider (and have been since I was 16, I'm now 21). I have also done work experience with the British Red Cross as a first aider.

I'm working on my fitness, but that's by-the-by.

Thanks for all your advice

ReputationRep:
    There is no fitness test anymore (I didnt do one.)
    I am slightly on the unfit side but working on it.

I was interviewed rather unconventional as I applied for next yr and got bought forward, but was asked to provide examples of where I have cared for people, not necessarily been an interventionist.
    Also asked why I should get the place and what made me the best choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benking116)
    There is no fitness test anymore (I didnt do one.)
    I am slightly on the unfit side but working on it.

I was interviewed rather unconventional as I applied for next yr and got bought forward, but was asked to provide examples of where I have cared for people, not necessarily been an interventionist.
    Also asked why I should get the place and what made me the best choice.

Hi, where did you get interviews at, I am in the same "slightly unfit" category so I would have a higher change of entry without having a fitness test!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Are any of you going to the open day in a few weeks at st georges university of london, if so have any of you received any info about the layout of the day

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is it competitive getting on this course just wondering what is needed to get on the course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MedicWannabe97)
    Is it competitive getting on this course just wondering what is needed to get on the course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Extremely - for Coventry, it's over 1200 applicants for 20-30 spaces, about the same for BCU (and they're not the top ones).

Each university has different requirement - check your choice universities.

Overall though, it is verrrrrrry competitive.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I want to become a paramedic. I'm 24 and doing an Access to HE at college, subjects i'm undertaking are: level 3 maths, English, IT, psychology, biology and level 2 science. I've been looking at uni's past few weeks mainly, Coventry and BCU but will be applying to 5 to improve my chances. I haven't written my personal statement yet though or been to an open day. As for experience, i'm a lance corporal in the Territorial army and came back from a 7 month tour in afghan in may, so I'm pretty fit, trained well to treat casualties and have done. I used to work in a care home cooking for elderly with and without dementia. I'm going to try and get a 'ride out' in an ambulance for on the job experience. Anything else I can do to help? I also have a clean licence car and C1 what would you recommend I do to stand a better chance and help me get into uni? Thanks, Matt P.S Sorry kittykatwilson, I know you said don't ask, just answer :-P. Looks like we're all in the same boat.

ReputationRep:
    Hello all!
    i have recently started my Paramedic Science degree at UWE Bristol
    happy to help with any questions!
    good luck and get those applications in early!
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I'm applying for 2014 entry and its my 3rd year of applying-Iv had interviews every year but I'm not great in the interviews so this is where it goes wrong for me! Anyway as I have been out of education for over 3 years now I'm worried that I won't be considered, anyone know if this is correct or if each uni is different?!

Thanks
    Rach

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachael22)
    Hi

I'm applying for 2014 entry and its my 3rd year of applying-Iv had interviews every year but I'm not great in the interviews so this is where it goes wrong for me! Anyway as I have been out of education for over 3 years now I'm worried that I won't be considered, anyone know if this is correct or if each uni is different?!

Thanks
    Rach
    You need to look at each universities entry requirement. Email them if you're not sure.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachael22)
    Hi

Thanks
    Rach
    Generally it's 5 years out of education. Though if you were worried you could always do a level 1 OU module.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hollykeetch3270)
    Hello all!
    i have recently started my Paramedic Science degree at UWE Bristol
    happy to help with any questions!
    good luck and get those applications in early!
    xxx
    Hi, I want to become a paramedic. I'm 24 and doing an Access to HE at college, subjects i'm undertaking are: level 3 maths, English, IT, psychology, biology and level 2 science. I've been looking at uni's past few weeks mainly, Coventry and BCU but will be applying to 5 to improve my chances. I haven't written my personal statement yet though or been to an open day. As for experience, i'm a lance corporal in the Territorial army and came back from a 7 month tour in afghan in may, so I'm pretty fit, trained well to treat casualties and have done. I used to work in a care home cooking for elderly with and without dementia. I'm going to try and get a 'ride out' in an ambulance for on the job experience. Anything else I can do to help? I also have a clean licence car and C1 what would you recommend I do to stand a better chance and help me get into uni?

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys. Really random question, does anyone know whether Teesside actually offer a BSc paramedic science course/ if it's only starting up this year? It says they offer one on their website, however I can't seem to find anything about it when I google it, there are no uni-stats for the course and it doesn't appear on UCAS.

It's also feasible I'm just being blonde. O.O
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Matwazbaz)
    Hi, I want to become a paramedic. I'm 24 and doing an Access to HE at college, subjects i'm undertaking are: level 3 maths, English, IT, psychology, biology and level 2 science. I've been looking at uni's past few weeks mainly, Coventry and BCU but will be applying to 5 to improve my chances. I haven't written my personal statement yet though or been to an open day. As for experience, i'm a lance corporal in the Territorial army and came back from a 7 month tour in afghan in may, so I'm pretty fit, trained well to treat casualties and have done. I used to work in a care home cooking for elderly with and without dementia. I'm going to try and get a 'ride out' in an ambulance for on the job experience. Anything else I can do to help? I also have a clean licence car and C1 what would you recommend I do to stand a better chance and help me get into uni?
    If you are looking at trying to get a ride out on an ambulance your best bet would be trying to arrange it through the TA as I don't believe there are now any ambulance services that will let general members of the public go on a ride out.

(Original post by SNR)
    Hi guys. Really random question, does anyone know whether Teesside actually offer a BSc paramedic science course/ if it's only starting up this year? It says they offer one on their website, however I can't seem to find anything about it when I google it, there are no uni-stats for the course and it doesn't appear on UCAS.

It's also feasible I'm just being blonde. O.O
    I believe Teesside is only available as an internal course to Yorkshire and ?North East Ambulance Service staff. Otherwise it may be a top-up course available to paramedics who are already registered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Happy_Holidays)
    I believe Teesside is only available as an internal course to Yorkshire and ?North East Ambulance Service staff. Otherwise it may be a top-up course available to paramedics who are already registered.
    That would explain it. I know it made it pretty clear on the FdSc that it was the case, I seem to be missing it for the Bsc. It's quite a shame really because I want to stay up north and it seems like most of the unis that do it seem to be located down south. Oh well.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SNR)
    That would explain it. I know it made it pretty clear on the FdSc that it was the case, I seem to be missing it for the Bsc. It's quite a shame really because I want to stay up north and it seems like most of the unis that do it seem to be located down south. Oh well.
    North East doesn't have a university its partnered with for direct applicants, Yorkshire are partnered with Sheffield Hallam, other than that your northern unis are in the North West which are UCLan, LJMU, and Edge Hill. There is also Scotland who run an internal route by recruiting technicians as foundation paramedics and doing their training through Glasgow Caledonian.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.