Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

So I got an A, C & D for AS Levels, Business Studies, IT, Economics

If I was to go to university & the grade requirements were 2 As and a B, will me getting these AS results right now stop me from getting in?

In Northern Ireland, we now can only resit the papers in June, so this'll mean waiting another year. If I was to apply to this course in university, what would happen? Would it immediately be declined? Would it get a conditional offer (please explain I'm not sure as to what this means), would it go to clearing (again, not too sure on the terminology of this, sorry!)

I strongly believe I can get these results upto an AAB, but how do universities work this? Will they give those that they believe are on track to an AAB a conditional offer and leave those like me with a decline and leave them to clearing?

Sorry for my complicated language

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone? sorry for bumping

ReputationRep:
    you can still get in to university, just do well in your a2's and retake it

ReputationRep:
    But won't unis see the predicted grade + the AS result and say no conditional no offer & just decline it? And then i'd have to wait for clearing even if I did get AAB at A-Level?

ReputationRep:
    You'll still probably get a conditional unless it's a top university. Besides, if they did decline you and you did end up getting AAB anyway you'd be in a very strong position and be able to go most places and do most courses anyway (depending on whether they want you to have done a certain course or not of course).

ReputationRep:
    You will need to get predicted AAB and have a cracking PS and reference, if you don't get offers and get AAB you can use adjustment to find places

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idle)
    You will need to get predicted AAB and have a cracking PS and reference, if you don't get offers and get AAB you can use adjustment to find places
    Hello there, many thanks for both replies!

Is Adjustment not only if you do get offers, but get higher than what the offer wanted? Do universities tend to give out unconditionals or make it unsuccessful? Say if the requirement was AAB and I got predicted ABB or ABC?

thanks, jack!

ReputationRep:
    The only indicator universities will have of your aptitude in subjects is your AS levels, teacher references and, most importantly, your predictions. When universities say they want AAB, unless you have completed the entire A-level (which you haven't, just AS), they mean they want you on track for receiving those grades, and that can only be conveyed by the subject predictions.

Go to your teachers, explain to them the situation of how you performed, explain your case for still being a viable AAB candidate (tell them you're going to retake, that this exam was an anomaly which will be viable if throughout the year you've been working at A-B grade). Tell them the grade prediction you would need to get into these universities (AAB). I'd highly suggest you campaign for a B prediction in Economics, as that was your lowest grade. You can make a case for the A grade in Business studies by doing what I've told you, provided you've been working at that level. They will clarify how your results were unexpected in their references to the universities.

A-level predictions are flexible, and many teachers will give you lenience so that you can receive an offer from your given universities. However, your case has to be strong, as it reflects badly on them if you are predicted an A and finish with a C.

Would it get a conditional offer (please explain I'm not sure as to what this means), would it go to clearing (again, not too sure on the terminology of this, sorry!)
    Universities give you an offer to join them before you sit your final exams. In this offer, they will give you the conditions to which the offer can be accepted. In your case, you would need to receive AAB (these are the conditions). Clearing is when you meet neither the conditions for your Firm (main) choice and your Insurance (backup) choice. You apply to 5 universities, and when they give you offers, you pick your 2 to be firm and insurance. Universities that have free spaces on courses with lower entry requirements will then give you the opportunity to join their courses, provided you got the grades.

In Northern Ireland, we now can only resit the papers in June, so this'll mean waiting another year. If I was to apply to this course in university, what would happen?
    As of 2014, all A-level students can only retake in June. You will retake your exams next summer, and on the UCAS application it will say you are retaking under pending qualifications. Your results will be in August of next year. If you do badly in your retakes and/or your A2 exams, you may not meet the offer they gave you. Getting an offer is only half of the battle, meeting the offer is the other half. What's important is that you get the predictions of AAB, and then you need to uphold your end by performing well in retakes and A2 exams next summer.

ReputationRep:
    I got ABBC in my AS last year and I was devastated because my uni wanted A*AB @ A Level.

I just got my A Level results the other day and I got A*A*B, all because I retook in November and got all A's.

That's all I can suggest. If you're not happy with your AS, suck it up, work hard and retake everything. It'll work out well in the end.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JDee)
    Hello there, many thanks for both replies!

Is Adjustment not only if you do get offers, but get higher than what the offer wanted? Do universities tend to give out unconditionals or make it unsuccessful? Say if the requirement was AAB and I got predicted ABB or ABC?

thanks, jack!
    My apologies I didn't write that in the best manner, I assume you will apply to a variety of unis with different levels of risk, here are some details: http://www.ucas.com/members-provider...cle/adjustment

In the majority of cases you are going to need to be predicted the entry requirements for the course to be competitive, if you are not then you can e-mail their admissions to see if it is still worth applying.

ReputationRep:
    I got BDU at AS level and still got a conditional offer from all my universities including Exeter where the requirements were AAB. Just make sure you get a great personal statement and reference

ReputationRep:
    If you are going to resit your exams you have the option to put 'pending' in your UCAS grades instead of the grade you currently have.
    If you have a strong personal statement and interview technique (if you need interviews) you should be fine!
    All the best!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JDee)
    Hi guys,<br />
    <br />
    So I got an A, C &amp; D for AS Levels, Business Studies, IT, Economics<br />
    <br />
    If I was to go to university &amp; the grade requirements were 2 As and a B, will me getting these AS results right now stop me from getting in?<br />
    <br />
    In Northern Ireland, we now can only resit the papers in June, so this'll mean waiting another year. If I was to apply to this course in university, what would happen? Would it immediately be declined? Would it get a conditional offer (please explain I'm not sure as to what this means), would it go to clearing (again, not too sure on the terminology of this, sorry!)<br />
    <br />
    I strongly believe I can get these results upto an AAB, but how do universities work this? Will they give those that they believe are on track to an AAB a conditional offer and leave those like me with a decline and leave them to clearing?<br />
    <br />
    Sorry for my complicated language<br />
    <br />
    Thanks in advance!
    <br />
    <br />

Not at all!! I always wanted to go to a Russell group and expected As and Bs for my AS's and was devastated when I got BBBCCC. Although the school predicted me AAB still as they believed I could achieve it, I applied for much lower unis that I was really unhappy with. Then results day came around and I got AABBB!! I was so happy, and through clearing I got my place at a Russell group so the moral of the story is DON'T underestimate yourself, and as long as you can get your school to give you the predicted grades you think you deserve then yes, of course you can get into an AAB uni. All you have to worry about it making sure you get what you want in your resits and A2 exams! Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colroyd)
    The only indicator universities will have of your aptitude in subjects is your AS levels, teacher references and, most importantly, your predictions. When universities say they want AAB, unless you have completed the entire A-level (which you haven't, just AS), they mean they want you on track for receiving those grades, and that can only be conveyed by the subject predictions.

Go to your teachers, explain to them the situation of how you performed, explain your case for still being a viable AAB candidate (tell them you're going to retake, that this exam was an anomaly which will be viable if throughout the year you've been working at A-B grade). Tell them the grade prediction you would need to get into these universities (AAB). I'd highly suggest you campaign for a B prediction in Economics, as that was your lowest grade. You can make a case for the A grade in Business studies by doing what I've told you, provided you've been working at that level. They will clarify how your results were unexpected in their references to the universities.

A-level predictions are flexible, and many teachers will give you lenience so that you can receive an offer from your given universities. However, your case has to be strong, as it reflects badly on them if you are predicted an A and finish with a C.

Universities give you an offer to join them before you sit your final exams. In this offer, they will give you the conditions to which the offer can be accepted. In your case, you would need to receive AAB (these are the conditions). Clearing is when you meet neither the conditions for your Firm (main) choice and your Insurance (backup) choice. You apply to 5 universities, and when they give you offers, you pick your 2 to be firm and insurance. Universities that have free spaces on courses with lower entry requirements will then give you the opportunity to join their courses, provided you got the grades.

As of 2014, all A-level students can only retake in June. You will retake your exams next summer, and on the UCAS application it will say you are retaking under pending qualifications. Your results will be in August of next year. If you do badly in your retakes and/or your A2 exams, you may not meet the offer they gave you. Getting an offer is only half of the battle, meeting the offer is the other half. What's important is that you get the predictions of AAB, and then you need to uphold your end by performing well in retakes and A2 exams next summer.
    Hi Colroyd, hi everyone, thanks so much for replying! You've all gave me a bit of confidence. It's not as if I did nothing all year. I think that my teachers will be understanding & am going to get photocopies of my exams to show that I didn't just waffle!

I'm sure this thread and it's replies will be a help to a whole load of other people as well.

Thanks again!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.