Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if i should take chemistry for a-level?
    gcse grades:
    core science- A (unit 1 -A, unit 2-B, coursework-A*)
    additional science- get my results next week but for unit 3 i got an A and for my coursework i got an A, however i know i did REALLY bad in the unit 4 exam so it could bring my grade down to like a C/D i think.

Would it be alot harder for me to cope with the work load? considering i only did double, not triple science, therefore missed out on 2 full units of chemistry.

in case you were wondering, im also taking biology, psychology and german. which are all very hard subjects, and i am definitley not one of the smartest in my classes, so do you think considering the other subjects i am taking, it will be way too hard for me?

ReputationRep:
    My school has a policy by which a person can not take a subject at A-Level if they have not got an A grade minimum. The load will be much bigger as A-Levels are extremely difficult in comparison to GCSEs. Many people I know have done double science and obtained excellent results in Chemistry, however they complained more than triple scientists that the jump was massive. Do you enjoy the subject? It would be pointless taking a subject you do not enjoy, particularly one like Chemistry. Why don't you wait until next week and see what your results are before you make any final decisions on what you want to take.

ReputationRep:
    A Level Chemistry is hard, and I wouldn't recommend doing it just for a jolly, only do it if it is completely necessary for what you want to do.

I know loads of people who took it just because they needed a 4th option and it didn't go well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmlouisex)
    gcse grades:
    additional science- get my results next week but for unit 3 i got an A and for my coursework i got an A, however i know i did REALLY bad in the unit 4 exam so it could bring my grade down to like a C/D i think.

Would it be alot harder for me to cope with the work load? considering i only did double, not triple science, therefore missed out on 2 full units of chemistry.

in case you were wondering, im also taking biology, psychology and german. which are all very hard subjects, and i am definitley not one of the smartest in my classes, so do you think considering the other subjects i am taking, it will be way too hard for me?
    I wouldn't worry about not having done triple science. I only did double science at GCSE and then I went on to do Biology (which I dropped for A2), Chemistry and Physics at AS and I did fine in all of them.

ReputationRep:
    gcse grades:

At the start of the year there were 4 people in my AS Chem Class who had done double science at GCSE. After the Jan exams they all dropped out.

I would suggest that you talk to your science teachers - they'll be able to give you the most realistic answer...

ReputationRep:
    gcse grades:

Chemistry is a hard subject, and at first its very VERY hard to get your head around, on the first test we done in september i got 7% but in Jan i got an A, and it really comes down to revision. Its not impossible and if you practice it enough times you will get it eventually, and once you got it you're good. However like all A levels it does take alot of mental determination, which is why there so different to GCSE, but dont be put down by your gcse results. I was told when i went to literally every open day that maths A level was impossible and got turned down by all grammers because i got a B at gcse, but i got a B overall at AS should of got an A but thats another story

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joe1545)
    Chemistry is a hard subject, and at first its very VERY hard to get your head around, on the first test we done in september i got 7% but in Jan i got an A, and it really comes down to revision. Its not impossible and if you practice it enough times you will get it eventually, and once you got it you're good. However like all A levels it does take alot of mental determination, which is why there so different to GCSE, but dont be put down by your gcse results. I was told when i went to literally every open day that maths A level was impossible and got turned down by all grammers because i got a B at gcse, but i got a B overall at AS should of got an A but thats another story
    I have to disagree with you. Chemistry is quite simple to get your head around, the problem is that there is loads to learn. Physics is much harder to get your head around than Chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    Don't let 'it's difficult' put you off, and don't let your GCSE grades put you off either. If you have a genuine interest in chemistry then that will make the A level not just another qualification and more to the point it will motivate you to succeed at it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJG21)
    I have to disagree with you. Chemistry is quite simple to get your head around, the problem is that there is loads to learn. Physics is much harder to get your head around than Chemistry.
    If you think chemistry is just about rote learning and memorisation you clearly don't understand it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    yes, its easier than bio

bio is easy to learn but the exams are solid with relatively low grade boundaries. they provide answers which have no link to the original question lol

chem on the other hand, is slightly harder to learn, but involves loads of calculations, easier exams ith high grade boundaries

my experience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niceguy95)
    yes, its easier than bio

bio is easy to learn but the exams are solid with relatively low grade boundaries. they provide answers which have no link to the original

chem on the other hand, is slightly harder to learn, but involves loads of calculations, easier exams ith high grade boundaries

my experience
    Biology is the rote learning of a wide number of facts. It isn't difficult for anyone prepared to put some time in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJG21)
    I dont do physics, and theres not that much to learn, in theory once you understand the basic foundations, you can apply it pretty much any where, but different schools teach differently, and different students think/study differently.

ReputationRep:
    It's a very useful A-level to have, and a requirement for many science-based university courses including medicine and dentistry.

I took psychology, biology, chemistry and maths at AS, and while I didn't find the latter 3 'ridiculously hard', they were definitely more tough than psychology. But it's not as bad as people are making out, it's basically a case of if you study you'll be fine. But be warned, cramming doesn't really work for chemistry, you have to stick in and understand the fundamentals and memorize some equations.

I got AB in dual science GCSE, 1 UMS off an A at AS chemistry and 1 UMS off an A* overall A-level chemistry.

I do love science subjects though which might have helped me on the way.

If I am honest, I'd get rid of the german and replace it with maths if you can. The reason for this is that, with science A-levels being tougher than most others, it's best to be able to focus fully on science I think - the fact you're taking biology is great as it does complement chemistry. You might say 'But maths isn't a science' - strictly speaking it is, but the reason I suggest it is that maths is similar to bio and chem in that it has non-essay based exam questions, and also most people who take biology and chemistry will likely also take maths, and it's nice to be with the same people all the time, as yous can work together. You might find with german that you will be 'in the science mood' doing all your revision, but then you have 'that other A-level' to also worry about, an A-level which seems out of place as it is so different to the others. Even psychology feels out of place as it is essay-based, but I found it nice enough as an easier slightly-sciency (compared to german which is hard and not science based at all) 4th AS option and dropped it for A2.

Also maths comes in handy in biology and chemistry A-levels as there is some maths involved in both (you could get taught this though even without A-level maths, it's just there was maybe 3 lessons in each subject over the course of the 2 years where the teacher would say 'Right, anyone who does A-level maths probably won't need to attend this and so can leave if yous want').

Also I don't think it matters too much what you learnt at GCSE chemistry - anything that you need to know is explained in the textbook (at least for AQA A-level biology and chemistry, dno about other exam boards).

ReputationRep:
    I did double science and I got an A in A-Level chemistry yesterday. I know a lot of people who did triple science and dropped out in AS. What im trying to say it doesnt matter if you do triple or double science, the most important thing is if you enjoy chemistry or not.

ReputationRep:
    Frankly, I'd say you'd struggle by looking at your GCSE grades, if you do end up getting a C (though I don't see why that would necessarily happen with one bad unit with the rest being A's). The first half of chemistry AS is pretty much revision of GCSE with a bit more content, and it wouldn't be too difficult to catch up, but if you aren't good with chemistry concepts at GCSE, then it may be a lot harder to bridge that gap.

If you don't plan a career that involves chemistry - i.e. biochemical fields - then I don't particularly see why you should risk it.

All the above is of course, with the assumption that you're getting a C/D, which I don't think you'll, by looking at your grades for the other units.

ReputationRep:
    gcse grades:

Well I think that depends on how you feel about the subject. Do you like chemistry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midlander)
    If you think chemistry is just about rote learning and memorisation you clearly don't understand it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hmm... quite a lot of it is. Of course there are calculations, but you don't really need to get your head round them, it's just maths.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't do it so I don't personally know, but a lot of people in my school this year failed chemistry so if you want to do it work hard for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJG21)
    Hmm... quite a lot of it is. Of course there are calculations, but you don't really need to get your head round them, it's just maths.
    I generally got As in end-of-topic tests in Chemistry despite not revising for them. It's not that I have some sort of eidetic memory, it's because I actually understand chemistry.

If you think it's rote learning, you didn't understand it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJG21)
    At A-level, maybe. At degree level and beyond it's about application of understanding which goes beyond factual recall. There is also a lot more to it than maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.