Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone! I really need your help because I dont know who else to turn to. Ive gotten my AS results today and I didnt do well at all like I hoped I would. I got:

Biology - C
    Chemistry - C
    Maths - D
    Physics - U (because I didnt do one of the units due to illness/circumstances)

I just want to know what are my options at the moment? I REALLY wanted to do medicine but thats not an option anymore, but I've been convinced that with these grades the best job that i could get into is being a plumber or something along those lines. Now im not saying a plumber is a bad job, but I would like to have gotten better grades to where I could put myself into a nice career/job... I just dont know what i can do or where i can take my life at the moment

Everything just feels so broken, like my life is falling apart. I truely believed that i would get better grades but instead got the grades above... Should i resit year 12 or should i continue on next year and resit all my modules? please please TSR a fellow student needs your help!! :adore:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Worlds_Apart)
    Hello everyone! I really need your help because I dont know who else to turn to. Ive gotten my AS results today and I didnt do well at all like I hoped I would. I got:

Biology - C
    Chemistry - C
    Maths - D
    Physics - U (because I didnt do one of the units due to illness/circumstances)

I just want to know what are my options at the moment? I REALLY wanted to do medicine but thats not an option anymore, but I've been convinced that with these grades the best job that i could get into is being a plumber or something along those lines. Now im not saying a plumber is a bad job, but I would like to have gotten better grades to where I could put myself into a nice career/job... I just dont know what i can do or where i can take my life at the moment

Everything just feels so broken, like my life is falling apart. I truely believed that i would get ABBB but instead got the grades above... Should i resit year 12 or should i continue on next year and resit all my modules? please please TSR a fellow student needs your help!! :adore:
    Lets be rational dude... A levels are a qualification that are stated on a piece of paper, which by no means determines somebodies true potential. Many people leave school with jack all and become successful due to their innovation and risk taking which others do not seem to have

Anyways back on topic, i assume you will drop physics? Giving you CCD. Does your teachers believe you were to get ABB in your grades? This may help you when gaining predictions. Predictions are fundamental as even if you have slight shoddy grades, they can still pull you in for an offer to test your academic potential.

I suggest going on a website like the Guardian university subject profiles, taking a scan at alternative science courses if thats your thing. But CCD is easily rectifiable! A lot worse deficits has been made!

ReputationRep:
    don't progress with them, they're awful and you will find it hard to get into a good uni and recover, resit year.

ReputationRep:
    It's not irreparable, one resit could have the scope to make a big impact on those grades.
    You should take a look at unis that offer medicine with a foundation year or wider access, these have much lower requirements although sometimes you have to meet a number of other conditions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jkizer)
    Lets be rational dude... A levels are a qualification that are stated on a piece of paper, which by no means determines somebodies true potential. Many people leave school with jack all and become successful due to their innovation and risk taking which others do not seem to have

Anyways back on topic, i assume you will drop physics? Giving you CCD. Does your teachers believe you were to get ABB in your grades? This may help you when gaining predictions. Predictions are fundamental as even if you have slight shoddy grades, they can still pull you in for an offer to test your academic potential.

I suggest going on a website like the Guardian university subject profiles, taking a scan at alternative science courses if thats your thing. But CCD is easily rectifiable! A lot worse deficits has been made!
    Hey thanks for the quick reply! Yeah im thinking about dropping physics next year which will leave me with CCD, as for my teachers im not too sure to be honest. I know my bio and chemistry teacher thought that i would get either a high B or A, as for math my teacher i have no idea what she thought i would get. I definitely need to get those predictions! honestly I feel like my life is slowly coming to an end hahaha, but seriously thanks for your optimism! i really needed it after today

so do you think i will be able to regain myself next year? im definitely going to be working a lot harder than i worked this year and will put in soooo much effort. what do u think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Worlds_Apart)
    Hey thanks for the quick reply! Yeah im thinking about dropping physics next year which will leave me with CCD, as for my teachers im not too sure to be honest. I know my bio and chemistry teacher thought that i would get either a high B or A, as for math my teacher i have no idea what she thought i would get. I definitely need to get those predictions! honestly I feel like my life is slowly coming to an end hahaha, but seriously thanks for your optimism! i really needed it after today

so do you think i will be able to regain myself next year? im definitely going to be working a lot harder than i worked this year and will put in soooo much effort. what do u think?
    No problemo, i felt the problem of under-preformed grades (In gcse, but hey ho emotions are similar)

Its probably best to perhaps talk to your form tutor first (If your at a school assuming) to get an idea on how to approach your teachers. Your going to have to show you will work hard and stay committed to their subject. This may be in the form of showing quality notes/past papers/inquiries of topics on a regular basis.

If you wish to continue to A2, its understandable likewise if you wish to take new subjects if you felt chemistry/biology/maths was sucky at AS and a drag to study for. Your likely either way to have a 1 on 1 talk with your teacher and they may say stuff like 'Oh im predicting you this..... any comments?' which you need to present yourself on why you can go higher.

Its tough, especially since teachers may be reluctant to overestimate as it may lead to a bad rep to universities. But i dont believe AAB/ABB is TOTALLY out the question assuming you were a good AS Student.

What you can also do is create the best PStatement you can, which presents your interests and academic potential. This can lead to an interview, which they may discuss your below-par grades but mainly academic. If you show promise, they may take the risk and give you an offer. E.g. A classmate of mine received AS of BCCE. He managed to pull an offer at an ABB course and met it

Any idea on what to do after sixth form/college?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DatFundle)
    don't progress with them, they're awful and you will find it hard to get into a good uni and recover, resit year.
    Yeah thats what i was thinking. To be honest i didnt put in that much effort this year because I thought that a levels were gonna be like gcses, boy was i wrong. CCD is going to be really hard to bring up, so if i was to just resit this year would that hurt my chances of getting into university? do unis accept people who have done a levels in 3 years rather than 2?

(Original post by peteguy)
    It's not irreparable, one resit could have the scope to make a big impact on those grades.
    You should take a look at unis that offer medicine with a foundation year or wider access, these have much lower requirements although sometimes you have to meet a number of other conditions.
    Yeah i agree about the resit, but the thing is that I didnt do well in any of my modules... which was a shock to be honest because I personally thought that i did okay in them, however in most of my modules i got either Cs, Ds, or Bs. I had a look at some unis with medicine w/foundation year or widening access but the typical offer for most of those unis at A level are ABB, AAB, or CCC (nottingham) which are all unfortunately higher than the grades that i actually got

(Original post by Jkizer)
    No problemo, i felt the problem of under-preformed grades (In gcse, but hey ho emotions are similar)

Its probably best to perhaps talk to your form tutor first (If your at a school assuming) to get an idea on how to approach your teachers. Your going to have to show you will work hard and stay committed to their subject. This may be in the form of showing quality notes/past papers/inquiries of topics on a regular basis.

If you wish to continue to A2, its understandable likewise if you wish to take new subjects if you felt chemistry/biology/maths was sucky at AS and a drag to study for. Your likely either way to have a 1 on 1 talk with your teacher and they may say stuff like 'Oh im predicting you this..... any comments?' which you need to present yourself on why you can go higher.

Its tough, especially since teachers may be reluctant to overestimate as it may lead to a bad rep to universities. But i dont believe AAB/ABB is TOTALLY out the question assuming you were a good AS Student.

What you can also do is create the best PStatement you can, which presents your interests and academic potential. This can lead to an interview, which they may discuss your below-par grades but mainly academic. If you show promise, they may take the risk and give you an offer. E.g. A classmate of mine received AS of BCCE. He managed to pull an offer at an ABB course and met it

Any idea on what to do after sixth form/college?
    I had a feeling that i would have to eventually go to my form tutor and try to convince her that im gonna be a boss in a2 haha. I have started revision for all of my subjects, however im probably gonna stop revising physics since i am thinking of dropping that one when next year comes around. I have notes and also the a2 books which i hope would show her that im committed to changing my grades, which i am!

I want to continue to a2 but will taking new subjects really be helpful? i mean, i already have a basis in biology chem and maths, although they are low grades. in other words, i have a basic understanding on what to expect throughout the subjects and could possibly work extra hard to make it into a2 or redo the entire year with a different "hardworking" mindset.

As for the personal statement, ill try my best to make it the best as it can be, but one thing that i get worried about is the uncertainty that your last paragraph would bring into my life i dont mind doing that but for a peace of mind id rather fully know whether or not i am able to get into a uni instead of hoping and praying that the interviewer is having a good day, do u know what i mean?

btw i would like to go to university after 6th form

These are my feelings at the moment, does my perspective make sense? is there anything i could do? thank you all so much for your replies!!

ReputationRep:
    Hey man, sorry you had a rough time yesterday. I actually got very similar results to you yesterday:
    CCDE. I like you want to go to a good uni, but to read law. I've decided to resit the year, but miss some parts of some of my classes as I did really well in some units, and terribly in others.

Remember, what happend yesterday may feel like the worse that thing that's ever happend, but those results WILL NOT define the rest on your life.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, remember that you can't do January resits anymore so you'd end up doing two lots of exams in June 2014

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to lie to you, getting into medicine with those grades is gonna be tough. Not because I'm saying you're not capable of getting higher grades but because they'll look at your predicted grades as well as AS grades.

You should try looking at foundation years or even applying for unis that do biomedicine and then transferring after one.

I wouldn't give up though. It's not the end of the world no matter what you think now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    well i have kind of messed up my AS levels aswell, I got CDDE and do biology, chemistry, maths and psychology. I wanted to do dentistry but dont think i can anymore so i need some advice of what to do in uni...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nima123)
    well i have kind of messed up my AS levels aswell, I got CDDE and do biology, chemistry, maths and psychology. I wanted to do dentistry but dont think i can anymore so i need some advice of what to do in uni...
    I've not looked into dentistry but I'm sure there will be foundation years available. Look into this and ring unis up. Make sure your predicted grades given by your teachers meet the entry requirement of the course. It's going to be difficult for you to get the usual dentistry offer of 3As especially with there not being any Jan exams anymore.
    Alternatively you could try another degree altogether...just think about what you're interested in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popnit)
    I've not looked into dentistry but I'm sure there will be foundation years available. Look into this and ring unis up. Make sure your predicted grades given by your teachers meet the entry requirement of the course. It's going to be difficult for you to get the usual dentistry offer of 3As especially with there not being any Jan exams anymore.
    Alternatively you could try another degree altogether...just think about what you're interested in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ahh yes I shall ring them up... The thing is I don't think I can do much with these grades now like most options require higher grades

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I really messed up my AS levels as I was expecting at least ABBC but ended up getting ACDB in History, Biology, Chemistry and English Lit respectively.

I really don't understand why my results for bio and chem were so low as I'd been achieving A's in mocks and A's in past papers and left the exams feeling like I had achieved much better. I also go to a very very good grammar school and so results like these are fairly unusual.

The only problem is that I desperately want to study Biomedical Science at a RG or well respected uni but I'm extremely scared that no decent uni is going to look at me with these grades? I intend to resit modules in biology and chem alongside my A2 exams but I'm being pushed to drop chem as it was my lowest grade but I need it for every course at every university I was interested in.

The school seemed to be pushing me more towards a history degree and to continue with English lit despite knowing that I hate this subject with a passion.

Is it realistic that continuing with History, Biology and Chemistry I can bring my grades up to ABB- AAA with resits and a lot of hard work?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.