(94+55)/(120+70) = 78.4%

You need at least 80% for an A grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pleasedtobeatyou)
    (94+55)/(120+70) = 78.4%

You need at least 80% for an A grade.
    So i got 55 marks out of 70?
    Then why does it say 51 marks for an A?

Ofcrouse if you add two 78%'s together and divide out of a 100% you will get 78%.

If 51 is an A then that would mean i got 50 marks out of 70 considering an A is 80%?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D12)
    So i got 55 marks out of 70?
    Then why does it say 51 marks for an A?

Ofcrouse if you add two 78%'s together and divide out of a 100% you will get 78%.

If 51 is an A then that would mean i got 50 marks out of 70 considering an A is 80%?
    Which subject and which units are you referring to?

Also, tell me your UMS score for each unit.

ReputationRep:

Oops sorry, i didnt even know i didnt state the subject.

Unit 1 - 82 UMS
    Unit 2 - 94 UMS
    ISA - 28 UMS

Im talking about unit 2, Physics, AQA, PHYA2.

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/sta...-JUNE-2013.PDF

Thanks!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D12)
    Oops sorry, i didnt even know i didnt state the subject.

Unit 1 - 82 UMS
    Unit 2 - 94 UMS
    ISA - 28 UMS

Im talking about unit 2, Physics, AQA, PHYA2.

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/over/sta...-JUNE-2013.PDF

Thanks!
    The 51 refers to the minimum raw mark or "grade boundary", as it is officially known, that you need to get an 'A' grade.

You could get any raw mark from 51 to 75 and score an 'A' grade. However, the UMS for which you score does not increase perfectly linearly with an increase in your raw mark.

See the attachment for the graph showing the raw/UMS conversion.

You can do this for other modules here: http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administ...t-marks-to-ums

From the link, you can work out that your 96 UMS corresponds to only 50 raw marks - one below the boundary for an 'A' grade.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    How many marks is it for an A for Alevel? Because on my results there is a 'Mark Equivilent' section

ReputationRep:

What im actually saying is that comparing the grade boundaries of Jan 2013 for my
    Unit 1 exam 82/120UMS = 68%
    Which is nearly a (B 50/70marks = 71%), that would mean i got around 48Marks (48/70Marks = 69%) which is correct.
    There is a 1-2% difference between UMS and marks.

Unit 2 exam for June 2013 94/120UMS = 78%
    Which is nearly an (A 51/70Marks = 73%), that would mean i got around 50marks (50/70Marks = 71%)

So there is a 7% difference between UMS and marks.

Is this normal, or have i just got the wrong idea?
    Because i know the %'s wont be exact but should be near each other seen from the Jan exam.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    The 51 refers to the minimum raw mark or "grade boundary", as it is officially known, that you need to get an 'A' grade.

You could get any raw mark from 51 to 75 and score an 'A' grade. However, the UMS for which you score does not increase perfectly linearly with an increase in your raw mark.

You can do this for other modules here: http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administ...t-marks-to-ums

From the link, you can work out that your 96 UMS corresponds to only 50 raw marks - one below the boundary for an 'A' grade.
    Right yeah, then there is a huge difference this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tn234)
    How many marks is it for an A for Alevel? Because on my results there is a 'Mark Equivilent' section
    Says 51 marks for an A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D12)
    Says 51 marks for an A.
    I meant for the whole A level, like for my A in Maths its says my 'Mark Equiv' is 506

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tn234)
    I meant for the whole A level, like for my A in Maths its says my 'Mark Equiv' is 506
    480/600 UMS, but UMS is different from Raw marks so probably 62/75marks per module is a secure A. With 6 modules 372/450marks would be reasonable for an A.

This is assuming maths, because all the modules are out of 75 marks.

ReputationRep:

That was quite harsh then, i used the unofficial markscheme and was sure i got atleast 61/70 even marking myself harshly. Yet i only got 49-48 marks out of 70.

Do AQA have anything where you can check what questions you did particularly bad on?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D12)
    That was quite harsh then, i used the unofficial markscheme and was sure i got atleast 61/70 even marking myself harshly. Yet i only got 49-48 marks out of 70.

Do AQA have anything where you can check what questions you did particularly bad on?
    My Maths teacher says that the grade boundaries are set with the data of all the candidates' scores and using some variant of a normal distribution.

Your teachers can request a question-by-question breakdown of the marks you scored but that's only if you ask really nicely

ReputationRep:
    My Maths teacher says that the grade boundaries are set with the data of all the candidates' scores and using some variant of a normal distribution.

Your teachers can request a question-by-question breakdown of the marks you scored but that's only if you ask really nicely
    Hey, did you get an A* in Physics?
    What kind of questions in the exam were the hardest?
    I think i failed with those 6 mark questions about explaining stuff. xD
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D12)
    Hey, did you get an A* in Physics?
    What kind of questions in the exam were the hardest?
    I think i failed with those 6 mark questions about explaining stuff. xD
    I did get an A* in Physics but with OCR and they only have a maximum of 4 marks per question.

Perhaps strangely, I find the one mark tick-the-box, draw-a-line or draw-a-cross questions more tricky as the examiners trade off the reduction in time required to complete them with added, hidden complexity.

ReputationRep:
    I did get an A* in Physics but with OCR and they only have a maximum of 4 marks per question.

Perhaps strangely, I find the one mark tick-the-box, draw-a-line or draw-a-cross questions more tricky as the examiners trade off the reduction in time required to complete them with added, hidden complexity.
    Ahh, ok and was the practical just coursework or?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D12)
    Ahh, ok and was the practical just coursework or?
    One of the courseworks was an essay where you could write about anything physics-related. The other one was a practical investigation, I did the Leidenfrost Effect.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.