Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are those 1 week intensive driving lessons worth it? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Are they a quick way to get your license?

ReputationRep:
    no but thats a quick way to waste your money. if you have failed and retaking they should work out but else its not worth it

can you give us more info?

have you taken any classes? if so how many? if not whats your target? pass by end of year? next year?

ReputationRep:
    For some people they might work - but in all honesty the safest way is to get out driving as much as possible with a friend or family member. It builds up your confidence and experience and lessons will help polish your driving up to test standard.

ReputationRep:
    A complete waste of money. You should spread out your lessons. Have a single 2 hour lesson per week, and practise with your parents in between.

There is a limit to how much you can pick up in a single day. Cramming the driving lessons in is inefficient.

ReputationRep:
    All in one week is a bit much more the majority of people, realistically. However, don't overlook intensive courses altogether. I personally did a 4 week course (35 hours of lessons) and passed and I know someone who did one in 2 weeks and passed. Some people say they cost more, but that's not true and is entirely dependant on which company you go with, much like normal lessons. You pay for a course in advance but mine worked out £18 an hour, good compared to the £20 average.
    The amount of weeks you do it in is up to you, if you did 3 hour lessons everyday for a couple of weeks then that'd be 40+ hours, which for a lot of people is enough to get up to pass standard. I personally started on 2 hour lessons 3 days a week and gradually built up to 3 hour lessons 4 days a week, 3 hours is a good length but more than that and the lesson would have started to get boring and unproductive.

ReputationRep:
    Intensive courses can be worth it but in my experience the one week course was too much (even though i passed). I would try 2-3 week course to spread it out a bit.

Certainly better than having one lesson a week and not a waste of time.

ReputationRep:
    I love the way people just assume everyone has the option to do practice outside of lessons I'm assuming these are the same people who claim to have passed in 10 hours of lessons, of course conveniently forgetting to mention the 40+ hours of private practice they did.

ReputationRep:
    They might be worth it if you have some prior experience (perhaps you went to university or have been out of the country for a while and need to pick up where you left off). If you're a new driver just starting out, they seem problematic.

First issue: It must be damn tiring. I did 2-hour lessons and I was worn out from that. I have been driving for several years now and still wouldn't want to drive the number of hours they get you to do in a intensive course.

Second issue: It's all surface learning. There is muscle memory to be learnt and that takes time. Doing a lesson once a week meant I still had the skills sufficiently remembered, but they were becoming more natural to me as I progressed. It was a cliché "getting to learn the machine" sort of thing. Gaps between lessons helped those sorts of things to become engrained.

Third issue: You will still have to arrange your theory test and basically hope to get an open space to do your test. If it's busy, you may not be able to do your practical at the end of the given time.

Fourth issue: They're not cheap. The hourly rate is between £22-£30 (from the school I just researched) for intensive driving. Conventional lessons are usually in the region of £18-£20 in this area for the hour. A "guaranteed pass" course is over £2000 with that company, and that's just crazy. You shouldn't need to spend even half of that. It would be a lot cheaper to find a regular instructor and cram in plenty of lessons. You will usually get a discount with them anyway (£15-£18 an hour for a large booking).

So can it be done? Yeah absolutely. People do do it all the time. I just think it would be far cheaper, safer and less strenuous to not do so. Realistically, you could pass your driving test within 2 months if you were able to get enough hours in and get through the theory okay. I did it in 3 months and a few days. Many people take 6 months or longer though. So a 7 day course is really pushing it.

ReputationRep:
    A real intensive driving course is worth it, but lots of driving lessons shoves together isn't. I'm doing a course that is 9-5 Monday yo Friday with 4 1/2 hours driving a day along with theory practice and mock driving tests, the centre arranges all my tests and will provide free lessons if I do not pass my test. I am really confident with the company and the structure of the course. It's also only costing around £800 including tests which is significantly cheaper than traditional lessons. So it's something you should look into, I also know friends who have spent over 12 months learning to drive, and I would ve cautious of driving instructors as they want to get as muchmoney from you as possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I personally think acclerated courses are pretty pointless as you need road experience of different situations which you get doing normal lessons for a long period of time it takes 35-40 hours of driving before most people pass there test, doing it in a week is not really sensible as you have a rushed driving experience it takes time, then what if you dont pass? have you even passed your theory? have you done quotes to see if you can afford to insure a car? do you plan to do any further driving course like pass plus or iam?

ReputationRep:
    driving instructors do consider pupils as cash cows cause they know they are a service provisional license holders need

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou 22)
    I personally think acclerated courses are pretty pointless as you need road experience of different situations which you get doing normal lessons for a long period of time it takes 35-40 hours of driving before most people pass there test, doing it in a week is not really sensible as you have a rushed driving experience it takes time, then what if you dont pass? have you even passed your theory? have you done quotes to see if you can afford to insure a car? do you plan to do any further driving course like pass plus or iam?
    You'll get the same if not more experience of driving and traffic conditions on an intensive course, most of my friends did they're lessons around the same time everyweek, so didn't get road experience of difficult situations. You get 35-40 hours driving with an intensive course, too- you just do it over a week instead of a year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elle95)
    You'll get the same if not more experience of driving and traffic conditions on an intensive course, most of my friends did they're lessons around the same time everyweek, so didn't get road experience of difficult situations. You get 35-40 hours driving with an intensive course, too- you just do it over a week instead of a year
    what i mean by that is in the week it is hardly likely you would experience normal road situations like ***** coming out in front of you and having literally no thinking time stuff like that you wont experience on a regular basis to get used to it so if and when you pass you get flustered and end up slamming into the back of em the its proven read up on it. :-) just dont rush as my friends friend rushed it and is no longer here cause of it. You do not get the same experience seriously

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't suggest a week. It depends how quick you pick things up to be honest, people are suited to different things.

I did 40 hours over 4 weeks, and the only reason I didn't pass was because a) the examiner gave me 2 majors for stupid things that either didn't happen, or I wasn't in the wrong and b) I screwed up a manoeuvre because it's the worst corner to reverse around in the place I did my test.

If you can deal with driving every day (I did about 10 hours a week (2 per day) and then a 3 and 4 hour lesson the two days before my test). Then an intensive is really good. I really enjoyed driving so 2 hours flew by for me and I found that I picked things up quickly because you don't have to recap what you did the week before.

It's not easy! I think the pressure is a lot higher because in most cases you book your test before you even start your lessons. I passed my theory, rang my chosen instructor, booked my test for 5 weeks later and started learning a week after that. So at the beginning it's terrifying because every mistake you make, you're just thinking about how you have so few weeks before your test. So when I was panicking about my test being a week away I still had 10ish hours left - the equivalent to 5/6 weeks if someone's not doing intensive.

I don't think you should focus on how quick you can get your licence, but how you'll do better.

Cost wise it usually works out cheaper because you're meant to learn quicker - things like exams and work don't get in the way so you don't cancel lessons, but it's a lot of money to part with very quickly. £20 a week (+ the theory and practical) is very different to £750 over the course of 3-4 weeks. For me, it was £31, then £62 (for the two tests) then £400 a week or so later and finally an extra £240 3 weeks after that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariocasas)
    Are they a quick way to get your license?
    They are quick if you pass but they are not cost effective and not good for safe future driving. I know people who had to do them because they needed a driving license for a job, it worked for them but unless you have a deadline. I would supplement driving lessons with lots of practice. The more time on the road, if you are aware of what you should be doing, will help make you a safe driver in the future.

ReputationRep:
    Worth it if you don't have much time before your exam.

ReputationRep:
    what i mean by that is in the week it is hardly likely you would experience normal road situations like ***** coming out in front of you and having literally no thinking time stuff like that you wont experience on a regular basis to get used to it so if and when you pass you get flustered and end up slamming into the back of em the its proven read up on it. :-) just dont rush as my friends friend rushed it and is no longer here cause of it. You do not get the same experience seriously
    Erm you still still spend the same amount of time driving on the road. If anything you spend more time in normal road situation rather than driving to and from home and quiet residential street.

You just do it in a week/two weeks than one hour a da for 35 to 40 weeks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Henrikh)
    Erm you still still spend the same amount of time driving on the road. If anything you spend more time in normal road situation rather than driving to and from home and quiet residential street.

You just do it in a week/two weeks than one hour a da for 35 to 40 weeks.
    Well its upto you whether you and others in the same situation listen/ take advice but i am not bothered as i submitted my opinion as i am entitled to whether you like it or not opinions differ. This is the issue with young people of today they have no patience and then get themselves and others around them in trouble but whatever i am fed up, opinions differ end of.

ReputationRep:
    As long as you have had previous driving experience they are good. If this is the first time you have been behind the wheel, you don't want intensive. I did one and failed for personal reasons. But I only has to do one more lesson to pass (just). They are worth the money.

ReputationRep:
    Well its upto you whether you and others in the same situation listen/ take advice but i am not bothered as i submitted my opinion as i am entitled to whether you like it or not opinions differ. This is the issue with young people of today they have no patience and then get themselves and others around them in trouble but whatever i am fed up, opinions differ end of.
    Thanks for your opinion. I was just pointing out that your comment was illogical.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.