Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Having just experienced my first year at Coventry University and living in Liberty Point (formerly Trinity Point), I thought I would share my views with other potential residents.

I shall start by talking about the actual room itself. I suppose I cannot really complain although, and it is to be expected, it's a little on the small side. There is just about enough adequate storage in the form of a bookcase, desk with three draws, narrow wardrobe, bedside cabinet and and 'under the bed' drawer.
    The desk is large and can easily accommodate a laptop/computer, television and printer as it spans the entire width of the room. The bed was comfortable although those of you who are used to sleeping in a double bed will have to get used to banging your knees on the wall. And having mentioned the wall, beware, it is paper thin so I would suggest doing what I did and pulling it away slightly. Not only will this prevent bruises but it will also prevent awkward moments when you hear your neighbor having sex. Although I would still recommend you take headphones with you.
    The bathroom is small but has everything you need, minus storage which comes in the form of a teeny tiny shelf above the sink which is fairly useless when you want someone where to put your shampoo. It's all tiled though, so nice and easy to keep clean.
    All rooms also have a window. A rather filthy window. That doesn't open very much in case you decide to jump out of it. I guess I can understand but when you're on one of the top floors and heat rises, it gets pretty stuffy. Did I mention that it was filthy?

Now, moving on through to the kitchen. This, is purely down to luck. Some people get a nice kitchen and some people (like me) get a really horrible one. Inside said kitchens are individual cupboards that you can lock, a fridge freezer, a cooker, sink, sofa, and a table that can seat six people, which is handy because six of you will be sharing that kitchen. However, said table barely fits. It takes up so much room that you kind of have to dodge the chairs. It's just a really poor layout. Even after my flatmates and I rearranged the furniture, there was little difference. But, like I said, some of the other kitchens were really nice, particularly in A and B block. If you live in C block, sorry about that.

If you live on the top floors in any of the blocks, have no fear if you're a tad on the unhealthy side like myself for there is a lift. If it works. I would suggest always carrying a book with you or something like that, so you can enjoy your two hour stay inside the metal contraption.

Right. The rooms and kitchens covered, lets talk about the amenities and of course, the staff.

On site, there is a laundry room and a common room. You can use the laundry room at any time, be it day or night however, save your change because at around £5 for a wash and tumble, you will need it. I would also recommend being a bit of a slob and letting your washing pile mount up before you clean them to make it worth it.
    The common room is handy, you can shoot some pool, watch television (although you have to ask the security guards to change the channel for you) or make use of the free wifi downstairs and study. But, it's not open all night. Nor for all of your contract, something I shall cover later when I ***** about the management. It's not the best common room in the world but it sure beats hanging around outside when it's raining.
    For all you smokers, there is also an area outside where you can puff away. It's got a roof but it's still open to all the elements so wrap up warm in winter! I can personally vouch for the need for several layers.

Actual entry to Liberty Point is restricted to residents only, with a fob that allows you to operate the turnstyle like entrance. But, don't worry about this too much because it was almost always broken throughout my stay there so anyone could come in. There is also a gate on the other side, allowing cars to come in and out. But your fob wont work for those. You need permission. Which is really frustrating for anyone who is in a wheelchair. The doors into A, B and C blocks are also controlled by this fob but you needn't worry so much if you're in C block because the door opens randomly by itself all the time.

I cannot really complain about the staff. Well, okay, that's a lie. I can complain and I shall. But, it cannot be denied that most of them are friendly and helpful. It's really nice too, when you get to know them and you can have a chat and a bit of a laugh with them because honestly, with all the fences around the place, you do sort of start think it must be what being in a prison is like. Although, I am sure, in a prison, the gates and doors are not broken so any Tom **** or Harry could waltz right in.

And waltz right in they did. Well, alright, maybe not waltz. Or even come in through the gates. One creepy dude scaled the wall and 'broke' into Liberty Point. What's that you're thinking? That you shouldn't worry because security will take care of it.....? Sorry to burst your bubble but they wont. They will leave you outside to deal with it yourself until the police arrive whilst they lock themselves inside their cosy little hut. Who cares about the students where your precious hair could fall out of style during an altercation?

So, what have I covered so far? The rooms, the kitchens, the filthy windows, the broken gates and doors, the total lack of student safety... hmm... what's left?

Oh that's right. The management.

You know, I don't think I have a kind thing to say. I suppose the thing that narked me the most was the deposit. The one you pay when booking your room and the one you supposedly will get back when you move out. Yeah... you're not going to see that money again. Instead, without telling you, they will "take it out of your first rent intalment". If this suits you, then it's not a problem. I, on the other hand, was expecting to have it returned to me. But nope. Despite the whole point of a deposit being "we'll take it from you and if there are any damages, we'll use it to cover the costs", instead, Liberty Point will sneakily say that they simply discounted your first installment and then at the end of your contract, charge you extra for damages.
    Furthermore, some bright spark in their cushty office had the idea, that, once most of the students move out of Liberty Point, they would move in loads of children on some sort of summer camp thingy. And this is where the common becomes unavailable. Despite the fact that you're still paying for your room and of course, the facilities that Liberty Point offer, assuming you've stayed there like many of the international students did, you cannot use them anymore because they children are. And I do not mean, that it's constantly full of kids, I mean they actually bar the paying students from going inside the common room so they kids can use it. No. I was not a happy bunny upon this discovery.

So, all in all, I think what I am trying to say is, if you're looking for accommodation whilst attending Coventry University and you want somewhere that is good value for the rent fees, then don't apply here.
    I am very disappointed with my stay and I really do not think it is worth the £120.50 (which may or may not have increased) a week.

PS. I may or may not have posted this twice, I apologise if I have!

ReputationRep:
    Do you know anyone who is doing BA Policing at Coventry college university?

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and in my original post, I forgot to include that Liberty Point has a rat infestation. If you look closely enough, there are loads of rodent holes, traps and at one point, a rat corpse on the pathway between A and B block that a student had to clean up because the security guard didn't want to.

ReputationRep:
    Ohh God, dreading moving in after reading this!
    Cheers for the heads up though

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.