Children and Television Watch

This discussion is closed.
happyny
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
As part of my course, I am carrying out a critical research study into Children and television, focussing specifically on :
1. Is children's television multicultural in terms of its representation and content? 2. Does violence on television have a negative effect on children's behaviour? 3. Does television play a role in gender development of children?
As part of my primary research I am required to post a message and monitor responses to these issues.
How do you feel about these topics? Do you have an opinion? Should more ethnics be on children's tv? Does violence make children behave violently?Is tv reinforcement for gender role behaviour?
I am interested to hear your views, and will respond too!
Thank you for your time.
xxx
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by happyny)
As part of my course, I am carrying out a critical research study into Children and television, focussing specifically on :
1. Is children's television multicultural in terms of its representation and content? 2. Does violence on television have a negative effect on children's behaviour? 3. Does television play a role in gender development of children?
As part of my primary research I am required to post a message and monitor responses to these issues.
How do you feel about these topics? Do you have an opinion? Should more ethnics be on children's tv? Does violence make children behave violently?Is tv reinforcement for gender role behaviour?
Thank you for your time.
xxx
This isn't objective research. This is just collecting opinions on the topics raised. Is that what you're trying to do?
happyny
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
I know this isnt objective research- ive done that!!!!!!!!!!!!im simply collecting peoples opinions on the issues raised!!
ToshTrent
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Thank you for your time.
xxx
Hi,

I did a small study on this myself for a media studies course at A-Level. I'll answer from my opinion aposed to ones which I discovered.

I believed that television violence was a cause for some playground violence. The childrens program Power Rangers caused a huge problem when I was at school. Children went around thinking it was ok to kick and "power chop" others as they had seen this before coming in that morning.

I think all forms of violence should be kept till after the watershed to prevent young minds being influenced at such a prime and vunerable age.

Hope your assignment goes well.

Tosh
Danithestudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Anybody remember "that" Tango advert?
Everdawn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I think kids should watch as much as they want- so long as 70% of it is either
A) The discovery Channel
B) The history channel
c) The National Geographic channell
Dude
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Thank you for your time.
xxx
TV doesn't affect children much at all. I spent nearly my whole childhood in front of the tv and the only thing thats wrong with me is that i know pracitally every kids show theme tune from the 80's-90's.
happyny
Badges:
Report 15 years ago
thanku for your respomses! i agree that violence should be kept out of childens tv programs. but the other arguement is can we really blame tv programmes?surely children who are going to act violently/ get into crime must already be disfunctional?possibly from the family backgroung/lack of education?is tv more of a contributing factor to a handful of kids or is it the cause for violence in a lot of kids? and how do we stop violence from being shown in children's tv? where do we draw the line?we still need to reflect a true image of the world he/she is growing up in. ??
Dude
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
thanku for your respomses! i agree that violence should be kept out of childens tv programs. but the other arguement is can we really blame tv programmes?surely children who are going to act violently/ get into crime must already be disfunctional?possibly from the family backgroung/lack of education?is tv more of a contributing factor to a handful of kids or is it the cause for violence in a lot of kids? and how do we stop violence from being shown in children's tv? where do we draw the line?we still need to reflect a true image of the world he/she is growing up in. ??
But that is the real world. Childrens tv has been showing less violence then ever and if you ask me it's that, that should be changed.
ToshTrent
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Possibly but shouldn't they be introduced to this when at a more mature age?
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I know this isnt objective research- ive done that!!!!!!!!!!!!im simply collecting peoples opinions on the issues raised!!
Oh, OK. So your comparing what you know to be fact with what people perceive. Fair enough.
shilling
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
I think one of the biggest problems with television, concerning children, is all the advertising targeted at them. There's almost no point, for example, in parents attempting to give their children gender neutral toys, because television tells children what the "should" or "shouldn't" be playing with. I heard a women complain, that her son would quite happily play with dolls and "my little pony" toys, and so on, until he became aware that all the children playing with them on tv, were girls. Gender roles are largely down to social conditioning, and tv is one of the biggest sources of it. Also, brands and labels are all targeted at children as well, even if they're for washing powders or something else children aren't really interested in, because children are able to register and recognise an enormous number of logos on stuff, which are then imprinted in their mind, making them loyal customers, once they're older, of whichever companies managed to brain wash them early enough. We're being programmed to be good little consumers before we've even properly learned to talk.
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (157)
13.25%
Excited (106)
8.95%
Worried (217)
18.31%
Terrified (276)
23.29%
Meh (94)
7.93%
Confused (32)
2.7%