Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Suggest A Film To Watch Watch

ReputationRep:
    I know there is a similar thread already, but I want this thread to be a slight improvement.

So basically:

• Suggest A Movie
    • Short Synopsis
    • Why You Liked It
    • Who Will Like It

So I'll start:

The Conspiracy

Filmed as a documentary, in a sort of Blaire Witch style. Two Filmmakers attempt to make a documentary about conspiracy theorists. They discover and infiltrate a secret meeting, which leads to a horrific turn of events.

It was entertaining, had suspense,horror and I quite like the "found footage" type of filming. Its low-budget, so don't expect anything spectacular, but it's worth a watch.

If your into conspiracy theories, Illuminati/Freemasonry and all that, you will find it entertaining.

ReputationRep:
    The Room

A guy who has the perfect life and a perfect wife, but she starts cheating on him with his best friend and it's tearing him apart.

It is genuinely one of the best films I have ever watched. The script is probably the best part, followed by the acting, closely followed by the numerous sex scenes.

Watch it if you don't take anything too seriously.

ReputationRep:
    Oldboy

IMDb Rating - 8.4/10

A guy is kidnapped and trapped in a room for 15 years, not knowing why. He his then released by his captor, but only to find his captor has bigger plans for him.

This film is amazing!! It has suspense, crazy fight scenes, love, but the best bit is the twist at the end.

Usually this ain't my type of film, but I thought it was brilliant. Watch it for yourself and see what you think of it.

ReputationRep:
    District 9

Aliens arrive on Earth but it isn't Manhattan, London or a desert in the middle of America. Do I really need anything else to sell it on? Ok. Aliens arrive just outside Johannesburg and are all emaciated and very confused, they're shut up in a massive pen called District 9 which is a huge slum area full of these aliens who the people of Johannesburg refer to as "prawns", and the story follows a promising man working for the company responsible for clearing out these slums and evicting all the aliens so they can be moved to what is essentially a concentration camp, and this man ends up being tangled in a complete mess, it's fantastic and I'm going to leave it there before I spoil too much.

I love it for being brilliant, sad and incredibly well thought out, without a doubt the most realistic portrayal of how we would react if aliens really did arrive on Earth, and there is the most adorable little alien kid :love:

Watch it if you love good sci-fi or if you hate sci-fi because you've only ever seen the crap stuff, and anyone who likes South African accents.

ReputationRep:
    50/50

a guy finds out that he has a sort of back/spinal cancer, he's shocked as he works hard to live safely, he tells the news to friends and family, he has chemotherapy sessions and will have a surgery that gives him a 50/50 chance of healing, stuff happens with friends and family and therapy yada yada. (not selling this well am i? don't wanna spoil stuff though)

it's actually so damn funny, i know when you read 'cancer' people might start thinking of a really sad or touching movie but although there's elements of that this movie is a comedy or rather i should say dramedy, it's really funny, down-to-earth and just lovely to watch. Also i won't lie i'm a huge fan of both joseph gordon-levitt and anna kendrick's work so they heavily influenced me to watch the movie and therefore enjoy it.

if you like dramedies, i know i do, drama with comedy what else could you ask for, if you want to watch a cancer movie that doesn't dwell on the dreariness of it all, if you like seth rogen, joseph gordon-levitt or anna kendrick, if you want to laugh and cry at the same time then watch it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazershus)
    50/50

a guy finds out that he has a sort of back/spinal cancer, he's shocked as he works hard to live safely, he tells the news to friends and family, he has chemotherapy sessions and will have a surgery that gives him a 50/50 chance of healing, stuff happens with friends and family and therapy yada yada. (not selling this well am i? don't wanna spoil stuff though)

it's actually so damn funny, i know when you read 'cancer' people might start thinking of a really sad or touching movie but although there's elements of that this movie is a comedy or rather i should say dramedy, it's really funny, down-to-earth and just lovely to watch. Also i won't lie i'm a huge fan of both joseph gordon-levitt and anna kendrick's work so they heavily influenced me to watch the movie and therefore enjoy it.

if you like dramedies, i know i do, drama with comedy what else could you ask for, if you want to watch a cancer movie that doesn't dwell on the dreariness of it all, if you like seth rogen, joseph gordon-levitt or anna kendrick, if you want to laugh and cry at the same time then watch it!
    Loved this movie, it was hilarious, despite the seriousness of the situation.

ReputationRep:
    The Shawshank Redemption - 9:00pm on ITV2

If you haven't already seen this film, now's your chance. A classic, arguably the best film ever made.

ReputationRep:
    127 hours, directed by Danny Boyle.
    Biographical survival drama film about a mountain climber who becomes trapped and resorts to desperate measures for survival.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nerd2)
    Oldboy

IMDb Rating - 8.4/10

A guy is kidnapped and trapped in a room for 15 years, not knowing why. He his then released by his captor, but only to find his captor has bigger plans for him.

This film is amazing!! It has suspense, crazy fight scenes, love, but the best bit is the twist at the end.

Usually this ain't my type of film, but I thought it was brilliant. Watch yourself and see what you think of it.
    A friend lend me her DVD and strongly recommended me to watch it. So I did, and wow I did NOT expect that twist. Definitely jaw-dropping.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gabbiehall)
    A friend lend me her DVD and strongly recommended me to watch it. So I did, and wow I did NOT expect that twist. Definitely jaw-dropping.
    Yep, that was one crazy twist! Give that post a thumbs up if you can, more people need to watch that film

ReputationRep:
    Yay, fun thread :macarena:

Jackie Brown.

If you know Elmore Leonard then you'll know the type of plot it is, it's pretty complex but the main macguffin is $500,000 in cash and a heck of a lot of people who want it, from the titular character, air stewardess Jackie Brown, the FBI, a gun-runner and his rather pathetic henchmen.

Basically it's a Tarintino film for crying out loud with the masterful writing of Elmore Leonard behind it. Unlike most of his other films it's much slower in pace which often puts a lot of people off (it's certainly more dialogue focused than PF and RD) but the characters are some of the best going. As you can imagine Samuel L Jackson is pretty much perfect as the gun runner (few swear as well as him), Pam Greeer gives a wonderfully melancholic and strong performance and Robert Forster is pretty much my favourite character in a Tarintino film :yep: As always the soundtrack is superb and the themes of aging and working class life are much more mature and well handled than the themes in his other, more visceral films. Not to say Jackie Brown doesn't have it moments, but violence is much more spread out and less explicit but it works for the best as it fits with the nonchalant and meandering life the Jackie and makes it all the more disturbing. Oh and it was Bobby Womack on the sound track, aint much better than him :godancing:

As for who'd like it, it's very much in the crime/heist drama so if you like that or Tarintino/Leonard than you should love the film. Just be prepared for a slow pace, a surprisingly sweet platonic love story and characters talking about getting grey hair. Just a shame really Tarintino didn't stick with the style he got going in here

ReputationRep:
    Batman begins - I'm batman nice coat
    The Dark knight - Why so serious?
    The Dark knight rises - let the games begin
    That's the shortest synopsis I van give the trilogy using quotes from each film
    I liked it because character are great , there's action and its like other films that have Been adapted to films .

I would recommend it to anyone who thinks it will be terrible to be honest I thought they would but I went the pictures with freinds and that was the only film with seats left so seen it I could wait for the next ones there all good the dark knight is the best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stannisbaratheon)
    Batman begins - I'm batman nice coat
    The Dark knight - Why so serious?
    The Dark knight rises - let the games begin
    That's the shortest synopsis I van give the trilogy using quotes from each film
    I liked it because character are great , there's action and its like other films that have Been adapted to films .

I would recommend it to anyone who thinks it will be terrible to be honest I thought they would but I went the pictures with freinds and that was the only film with seats left so seen it I could wait for the next ones there all good the dark knight is the best
    Batman is the only (super)hero series worth watching in my opinion. I have to admit though, I thought The Dark Knight Rises was pretty poor, I'm surprised IMDb gave it such a high rating, I actually enjoyed Batman Begins more, which got a lower rating. The Dark Knight is an awesome film, definitely one of the best films I have ever seen.

ReputationRep:
    easy a
    basically a girl pretends to sleep with losers out of sympathy.
    awesome film
    chick flick-y
    really funny
    reccomend to over 12s

ReputationRep:
    Requiem for a Dream

The story of 4 people whose lives spiral out of control because of drug addiction

Liked it because it was a gritty, serious film; it had a message. What's more, you watch it and it leaves you with a complete sense of hopelessness

If you like depressing films, this could be for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nerd2)
    Oldboy

IMDb Rating - 8.4/10

Usually this ain't my type of film, but I thought it was brilliant. Watch yourself and see what you think of it.
    Have you seen Lady Vengeance?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JodieW)
    Have you seen Lady Vengeance?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nope, but I just read the synopsis on IMDb sounds similar to Oldboy, is it worth watching?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JanitaTwain)
    easy a
    basically a girl pretends to sleep with losers out of sympathy.
    awesome film
    chick flick-y
    really funny
    reccomend to over 12s
    I watched this movie just for Emma Stone:drool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nerd2)
    Nope, but I just read the synopsis on IMDb sounds similar to Oldboy, is it worth watching?
    Yes, it's not as good as Oldboy but you should watch the entire Vengeance trilogy It's definitely worth it. Plus Park Chan-wook is the most amazing director.

Which leads me to my film recommendation (directed by Park Chan-wook, genius), Stoker

Synopsis: A young girl's father dies, and the uncle she never knew moves in with them. He harbours dark secrets and India finds herself drawn to him. (I make it sound terrible but it's an excellent film).

Why I liked it: Visually stunning, haunting characters, India is a very interesting teenage girl. The entire movie is like a work of art.

Who will like it: Fans of dramatic films and taboo themes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Memento

Plot synopsis: A man who suffers from short term memory loss tries to piece together the clues that will lead him to his wife's murderer.

Why I liked it: It's possibly my favourite film ever. Full of twists, excellent script, I didn't see the ending coming AT ALL. I could watch it multiple times and it never gets boring.

Who will like it: Fans of mystery and drama films and those who enjoy really surprising twists.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.