Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi (: So, I'm a biology student from Brazil and I may win a scholarship from the government to study at some UK university. My options at the moment are the University of Dundee and St Andrews. I won't have to pay for anything like accommodation or the university itself and I'm going to receive 450 £ every month. Well, but I read that St andrews is a very expensive place to live, and I would like to save some money too... So, do you guys think that I could live well with 450 £ monthly? I only would have to pay for my food, transportation, and fun :3 Oh, and I can't have a job. It's one of the scholarship obligations. Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalia123)
    Hi (: So, I'm a biology student from Brazil and I may win a scholarship from the government to study at some UK university. My options at the moment are the University of Dundee and St Andrews. I won't have to pay for anything like accommodation or the university itself and I'm going to receive 450 £ every month. Well, but I read that St andrews is a very expensive place to live, and I would like to save some money too... So, do you guys think that I could live well with 450 £ monthly? I only would have to pay for my food, transportation, and fun :3 Oh, and I can't have a job. It's one of the scholarship obligations. Thanks in advance!
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalia123)
    Assuming that you'll be a self catered student,

I remember people were saying the food (the grocery,snack and all ) should cost no more than £ 30,I can't remember If It was weekly or monthly but let's say £ 120 for instance,I consider you are modest.

Money left : £330

Alcohol and fun costs - The student union sells beverages starting up from £1.20 to £3.20 (pepsi to alcohol) Lets imagine that you are a drinker that you drink the £3 two of them ! So that makes £180 in the most alcoholic way. :iiam:

Money left : £150

Transport - Assuming that you want to travel a lot to Edinbrough the ticket cost to the train is is a 5-10 minute bus ride from the town centre (cost ~£4.50 return) And If you want to book a train ticket in that day the return ticket would be £20 (the most expensive that is listed,there is £17 even for 2 hours later ) Lets say when you got you'll be spending 30 pounds so you can even go lots of times to Edinbrough with the money left.

Money left : £0,Things done : Fullest way possible

:elefant::elefant:

ReputationRep:
    Ok as someone who is kinda poor I can offer my perspective, I don't qualify for anything except the non-income assessed loan which used to be ~£90 per month and my parents can only give me £50 a month

I have lived in St Andrews with only £140 a month (this is not including rent which was paid by the uni due to my situation so I'm in a similar boat to you)

I paid bills phone, internet, gas, electricity ~£50 per month
    The £90 was basically used for food.

I am extreme example and I'm probably the bare minimum you can live on without starving yourself. I did still manage to scrape cash together for hair cuts, shoes, clothes, etc when necessary.

In comparison to me you'll have £300 extra so you will most likely be absolutely fine

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.