Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Maintenance grants/loans for EU students outside UK Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I was wondering, are there cases in which a student from the EU but outside the UK received a maintenance grant/loan ?
    On Student Finance website it says that you might get one, but from what I heard, the chances are very low. I am a mature student (24 yo) and also my household income is way bellow £25.000 per year.

ReputationRep:
    As an EU student, you have to meet very specific eligibility criteria in order to qualify for anything more than the Tuition Fee Loan:

Additional help

Some EU nationals may qualify for a Tuition Fee Loan and additional help, but usually only if all of the following apply:
    •you're an EU national, or the family member of someone who is
    •you've lived in the UK for three years or more before your course starts
    •you'll be living in the UK on the first day of the academic year in which your course starts
    •usually your main reason for living in the UK was not to receive full-time education
    •your course qualifies
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/cont...ing-in-England

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    As an EU student, you have to meet very specific eligibility criteria in order to qualify for anything more than the Tuition Fee Loan:

Thanks for your answer

Well it seems that I do not meet two of this points (which I think are very important):
    •you've lived in the UK for three years or more before your course starts
    •usually your main reason for living in the UK was not to receive full-time education

ReputationRep:

Are those points really valid? My cousins girlfriend got a grant the first year she arrived in the UK, this was 3 years ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lt*******)
    Are those points really valid? My cousins girlfriend got a grant the first year she arrived in the UK, this was 3 years ago.
    Well those are the rules. If your cousin's girlfriend found a way round them, then either she meets the eligibility criteria or she fibbed on her application (which is pretty difficult to get away with, given the level of proof demanded).

EU students get a Tuition Fee Loan - could that be what she qualified for?

ReputationRep:
    Well those are the rules. If your cousin's girlfriend found a way round them, then either she meets the eligibility criteria or she fibbed on her application (which is pretty difficult to get away with, given the level of proof demanded).

EU students get a Tuition Fee Loan - could that be what she qualified for?
    No, she got her Tuition Fee Loan and got her grant at the end of her first academic year.

My cousin, who started university last year got his tuition fee loan and a grant at the start of his academic year.

So I thought I would be eligible for one too.

I'm from Lithuania by the way.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.