Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This seems so expensive! Is there no way to get it cheaper than student rates? It's 150 for zone 1-6 which I'll be commuting from zone 6 to 1 5 days a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Domxmb)
    This seems so expensive! Is there no way to get it cheaper than student rates? It's 150 for zone 1-6 which I'll be commuting from zone 6 to 1 5 days a week.
    You could look for off-peak travel when you are going home. You haven't stated whether you work, or if you are student or both so yeah..

Why not take a bus to a zone 4 station and take the train from there. Or go to zone 2 and take a bus to where ever it is you are going.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djpailo)
    You could look for off-peak travel when you are going home. You haven't stated whether you work, or if you are student or both so yeah..

Why not take a bus to a zone 4 station and take the train from there. Or go to zone 2 and take a bus to where ever it is you are going.
    student, what will taking bus to zone 4 and then train do?

ReputationRep:
    student, what will taking bus to zone 4 and then train do?
    Buy a travelcard from zone 2-6 which will be cheaper than zone 1-6 and then use the travelcard to take a bus to wherever you are going.

Or buy travelcard zone 1-5...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djpailo)
    Buy a travelcard from zone 2-6 which will be cheaper than zone 1-6 and then use the travelcard to take a bus to wherever you are going.

Or buy travelcard zone 1-5...
    Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of travel card?

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of travel card?
    not really... say for example you worked near Angel (which is zone 1), you could get a travel card for zones 2-6, get off at Highbury & Islington (which is zone 2) and get a bus down the road which will probably add 5/10 mins to you your journey but save you quite a bit of money

your other option is just to get the 1-6 travel card like most people do and cry to yourself after you let go of the £150!

and trust me £150 is a lot better than if you did Pay-as-you-go

ReputationRep:
    Lol..what city are you from?! o.O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lefty)
    not really... say for example you worked near Angel (which is zone 1), you could get a travel card for zones 2-6, get off at Highbury & Islington (which is zone 2) and get a bus down the road which will probably add 5/10 mins to you your journey but save you quite a bit of money

your other option is just to get the 1-6 travel card like most people do and cry to yourself after you let go of the £150!

and trust me £150 is a lot better than if you did Pay-as-you-go

Zone 2-6 travel card is only 50 pounds less though. I still don't understand? Surely paying 2-3 pounds per day for zone 1 bus or something 20+ times a month would be just as much if not more just with more of a headache? Or am I wrong?

ReputationRep:
    Zone 2-6 travel card is only 50 pounds less though. I still don't understand? Surely paying 2-3 pounds per day for zone 1 bus or something 20+ times a month would be just as much if not more just with more of a headache? Or am I wrong?
    You've misunderstood the system. By getting a travel card you can get ANY bus, but you are limited to the train/tube within the zones your travel card covers... So you can get off at a zone 2 station and get on a bus that'll take you into zone 1 at no extra cost if you were to get a 2-6 travel card.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lefty)
    You've misunderstood the system. By getting a travel card you can get ANY bus, but you are limited to the train/tube within the zones your travel card covers... So you can get off at a zone 2 station and get on a bus that'll take you into zone 1 at no extra cost if you were to get a 2-6 travel card.
    Ohhh alright thank you very much.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.