Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Taking a Gap year and resitting some A2 modules Watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if this is the right place for this since this is my first time posting a new thread. okay, basically I got my A Level results yesterday and I didn't get what I was expecting. I had AAAB for AS in chemistry, biology, maths and physics but I dropped physics in A2. My predicted grades were AAA so I was hoping to take a gap year and apply for 2014 entry this September for Pharmacy but, I went to collect my results yesterday and I got BBB . In all the three subjects, I've missed A grade by only few UMS;3 ums in Maths, 6 in chemistry and 7 ums in Biology so I was thinking of resitting 1 module for each of the subjects. But i'm not sure if this is a good idea, since I really wanted to apply to Nottingham, UCL and kings college London. these three universities are one of the best unis in UK so I am worried that they wont consider my application equally as other applicants'. What should I do? Is there anyone out here who is/was in the same position as me? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar situation. I was hoping to get A in photography and B in Spanish but I missed both grades by a few marks. I was really hoping to go to Bristol or Liverpool but I've had to go through clearing. Maybe you can try to find another university that is of a similar level and maybe find a course that will point you in the same direction. I've had to change to a completely different subject but I hope you don't find yourself in the same situation. It's unlikely that you will since you got all Bs. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Similar position, I got BBC so im just going to retake a couple exams in june and figure out what to do with the rest of the year...any ideas? any gap year schemes?

ReputationRep:
    Same! Needed AAB but got BBB! But I'll have lots of free time to work and volunteer! This alone should boost your application, so try and get some work experience related in any way to your subject! Most universities don't consider it at all but some of the top ones do. All they would do is raise the conditions of your offer slightly, I know it's annoying but there isn't really anything else you can do except go to lower university...

Don't feel disheartened, make this extra year useful and fun!

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure whether to take a resit year or not

I wanted to go UCL but I got AAB

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

similar position,

Held UCL as my firm with A*AA and Nottingham with AAA, to read Economics, results came back with A*AB, with the B in economics 1 UMS off of an A.

Nevertheless, I was rejected from both and placed into clearing, managed to secure the University of York to study economics via clearing. Thus I am left in a position where I can take a gap year to get the A in economics (but I will be weakened by taking 3 years to do A-levels) and re-apply to UCAS.

Or I can go to York next year (A lower university in my opinion)

My issue is that York ranks roughly 9-14 on league tables and I dont know enough about the uni to love or hate it.

On the other hand I know I would absolutely adore getting into a uni on the level as UCL, Nottingham or Bristol.

Any experiences, advice, anything! Pretty much stuck in a rut.

Much appreciated,

Luca

P.s I have a priority remark in the works but do not trust it to return positive

p.s.s I am somewhat desperate to leave my house this year (need my own space)

ReputationRep:
    ::

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.