Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all I'm a parent. My son got AAB (History,Music!Eng lit) and an E Maths yesterday for his AS levels
    He wants to do Music at Kings so has a good chance of getting the A2 grades he requires.
    How much of a problem might the E be? My understanding is that all results have to be declared. Is that right? My feeling is that he has scope to work harder ( he agrees) and I think he should retake the AS next year ( he was predicted a B) but he disagrees.
    I don't want to waste his time obviously but I don't want to miss an opportunity to avoid something that could be a problem in the future
    good luck to you all it was easier in 1980! Best wishes

ReputationRep:
    He should be fine if he keeps up his grades in the other three subjects! Don't worry too much about him!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mdoc007)
    Hi all I'm a parent. My son got AAB (History,Music!Eng lit) and an E Maths yesterday for his AS levels
    He wants to do Music at Kings so has a good chance of getting the A2 grades he requires.
    How much of a problem might the E be? My understanding is that all results have to be declared. Is that right? My feeling is that he has scope to work harder ( he agrees) and I think he should retake the AS next year ( he was predicted a B) but he disagrees.
    I don't want to waste his time obviously but I don't want to miss an opportunity to avoid something that could be a problem in the future

Hello first of all that is very good the aab so well done for him.

Since he is dodging music, I would stick with the three main subjects and tell him to push hard and maintain that grade and possible hit AAA OR A star A B. ( don't forget in a2. He will not have maths. So there will me more time for him to excel in the other subjects

Ultimately it depends on him what went wrong in maths. Did he enjoy it. If he did NOT ENJOY IT. DON'T FORCE HIM please. There is no point.

But tbh. The E will not make a massive difference. Considering. He gets the minimum offer of AAB.

ReputationRep:
    He needs AAA. Don't bother retaking maths - just concentrate on the 3 main subjects. My son got into Bristol with a D in his fourth subject.

With a good PS and lots of relevant stuff he should have a good chance

ReputationRep:
    First off AAB are really good results. Most sixth forms will predict him between AAA-A*A*A because they usually predict the grade you achieved or one above.

The 'E' grade will have to be declared, all AS Grades do (new since 2011). However most universities are only concerned with the top 3 grades and the grade the acheived in the subject they intend to do a degree in.

I wouldn't recommend resitting the E grade, it's time consuming and he can be focusing instead on other things. He cannot even resit in January as January exams have now been scrapped, thus increasing his exam total during summer 2014. I do know a girl who received a D in French AS, dropped the subject but resat in Year 13, but ended up receiving the exact same grade and spent less time on her more important subjects.

It won't be a problem in the future in regards to employment as they will only be concerned with his A2 level grades, if that and will have no idea he got an E when he was 17.

If he feels he can work harder, then he could try and focus on getting A*A*A* instead, or learning a new musical instrument, or writing a Music related Extended project (EPQ).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex360)
    First off AAB are really good results. Most sixth forms will predict him between AAA-A*A*A because they usually predict the grade you achieved or one above.

The 'E' grade will have to be declared, all AS Grades do (new since 2011). However most universities are only concerned with the top 3 grades and the grade the acheived in the subject they intend to do a degree in.

I wouldn't recommend resitting the E grade, it's time consuming and he can be focusing instead on other things. He cannot even resit in January as January exams have now been scrapped, thus increasing his exam total during summer 2014. I do know a girl who received a D in French AS, dropped the subject but resat in Year 13, but ended up receiving the exact same grade and spent less time on her more important subjects.

It won't be a problem in the future in regards to employment as they will only be concerned with his A2 level grades, if that and will have no idea he got an E when he was 17.

If he feels he can work harder, then he could try and focus on getting A*A*A* instead, or learning a new musical instrument, or writing a Music related Extended project (EPQ).
    dumbest advice I ever heard (rest of it's pretty good though)

*flies away*

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you have to declare all results. However, all of the universities I applied for only took into account A2 grades, that's all they cared about. Your son is better off taking the A2 subjects he is likely to get the highest grades in, and that means dropping maths.

If he took History, Music and English he may well finish with AABe, but if he took maths, and even if he improved by a grade (and A2 gets much harder), he might finish with say, AADb. Top universities usually don't have anything less than a C as their entry requirements.

Saying that, my offer was ABC, but I got A*BDand they let me in anyway, but that was lucky, not all universities are as lenient.

In summary, my advice is that your son takes the subjects he most enjoys, he's more likely to understand and remember the content that way and in the end have better grades.

Good luck :3 keep us updated

Ooh, also, one thing we were told by staff from the start of sixth form, well, when picking GCSE's as well actually, was to do what we want, not what our parents want. And that's for the same reason, if you take the subjects you enjoy, you'll do better. (:

ReputationRep:
    My friend got into Kings this year, and he got AAAU at AS. I think it would just be better to drop the subject and focus on the main three.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think it's more important for him to show his passion for music than his mathematical ability. I.e. have some ECs to do with music.

ReputationRep:
    I got a D in AS level maths (hated the subect! Followed my parents decision...) and thought about resitting it this year just gone, but instead, i focused on my A2 subjects and managed to get my required grades to get into Uni!
    All i'm saying is that extra exams put stress on you and also take up valuable time! The E in maths will likely be ignored, as mine was in my offer, and they will focus more on his A2 grades!

Edit - Got AACd in the end

ReputationRep:
    Many thanks - Some really good advice here which we (my son and I) have just shared. Dropping maths and concentrating on the main three - cheers all and good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.