Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Taking a Gap year and resitting some A2 modules? or just Clearing? Watch

ReputationRep:
    okay, basically I got my A Level results yesterday and I didn't get what I was expecting. I had AAAB for AS in chemistry, biology, maths and physics but I dropped physics in A2. My predicted grades were AAA so I was hoping to take a gap year and apply for 2014 entry this September for Pharmacy but, I went to collect my results yesterday and I got BBB . In all the three subjects, I've missed A grade by only few UMS;3 ums in Maths, 6 in chemistry and 7 ums in Biology so I was thinking of resitting 1 module for each of the subjects. But i'm not sure if this is a good idea, since I really want to apply to Nottingham, UCL and kings college London. these three universities are one of the best unis in UK so I am worried that they wont consider my application equally as other applicants'. What should I do? Is there anyone out here who is/was in the same position as me? Should I just do some other course through clearing/adjustment?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I can't help you, but I want to know the answer to this question as well C4 really messed up my Maths and I missed the A* and subsequently my firm offer, so now I'm thinking of resitting it. Have you thought about remarking some of your modules, since you're close to the boundary?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rozi16)
    okay, basically I got my A Level results yesterday and I didn't get what I was expecting. I had AAAB for AS in chemistry, biology, maths and physics but I dropped physics in A2. My predicted grades were AAA so I was hoping to take a gap year and apply for 2014 entry this September for Pharmacy but, I went to collect my results yesterday and I got BBB . In all the three subjects, I've missed A grade by only few UMS;3 ums in Maths, 6 in chemistry and 7 ums in Biology so I was thinking of resitting 1 module for each of the subjects. But i'm not sure if this is a good idea, since I really want to apply to Nottingham, UCL and kings college London. these three universities are one of the best unis in UK so I am worried that they wont consider my application equally as other applicants'. What should I do? Is there anyone out here who is/was in the same position as me? Should I just do some other course through clearing/adjustment?
    I'm in a pretty similar situation.
    My firm asked for AAA and I managed to get BBB, with one of those being 1 UMS from an A, and the others both being around 15-20 away.

I wasn't planning on taking a gap year if I'd got into my firm or insurance, but a gap year seems a whole lot more appealing now when compared with clearing.

Not that clearing courses aren't great, but I'm worried that if I apply for one I'll always have in the back of my head that I settled for second-best, and looking at the uni's you'd hoped to get into, you might too. Whereas, a gap year could heavily improve my grades if I chose to retake a few modules, with the only potential downside being a small difficulty obtaining a place at a university which looks down on a student for retaking.

If I were you, I'd call up Nottingham, UCL and King's and ask how they might view an applicant who takes a year out to improve on one or two grades. A lot of uni's also appreciate applicants who use a gap year to gain some experience related to their course, or even just do something worthwhile (in other words, don't make it sound like your gap year would be spend in front of a TV until exam time comes around again and you get your second chance at those modules). It can't hurt to ask them.

If it turns out that they'd still accept you, great! The gap year could also be a good chance to clear your head and maybe research universities which aren't quite as prestigious, but which might be offering places in clearing 2014 so that if you don't improve on your grades, you already know which universities you'd be happy to study at instead (clearing sometimes means applying to and researching universities you'd never have otherwise applied for just for the sake of getting in this year).

If your uni's do look down on people that retake, then you'll probably have to accept that you won't be getting into them - not to sound too harsh. But to reiterate, clearing has some great courses! And top universities still advertise vacancies on there. But if BBB won't get you into those that are offering places (I know a lot require ABB and AAB minimum, which sucks for us), I'd say take the gap year, improve those grades, gain some awesome experience and reapply next year to a different university that's up there with Nottingham, UCL and King's.

Best of luck with whatever you decide on doing!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr hyde)
    Sorry I can't help you, but I want to know the answer to this question as well C4 really messed up my Maths and I missed the A* and subsequently my firm offer, so now I'm thinking of resitting it. Have you thought about remarking some of your modules, since you're close to the boundary?
    Yes, I'm getting one of my biology paper remarked since I got 83/90 in one paper but only got 90/150 on the other. I don't understand how I did really well on one and really bad on the other so yeah I'm definitely getting that remarked.
    (Original post by TomFoolery)
    I'm in a pretty similar situation.
    My firm asked for AAA and I managed to get BBB, with one of those being 1 UMS from an A, and the others both being around 15-20 away.

I wasn't planning on taking a gap year if I'd got into my firm or insurance, but a gap year seems a whole lot more appealing now when compared with clearing.

Not that clearing courses aren't great, but I'm worried that if I apply for one I'll always have in the back of my head that I settled for second-best, and looking at the uni's you'd hoped to get into, you might too. Whereas, a gap year could heavily improve my grades if I chose to retake a few modules, with the only potential downside being a small difficulty obtaining a place at a university which looks down on a student for retaking.

If I were you, I'd call up Nottingham, UCL and King's and ask how they might view an applicant who takes a year out to improve on one or two grades. A lot of uni's also appreciate applicants who use a gap year to gain some experience related to their course, or even just do something worthwhile (in other words, don't make it sound like your gap year would be spend in front of a TV until exam time comes around again and you get your second chance at those modules). It can't hurt to ask them.

If it turns out that they'd still accept you, great! The gap year could also be a good chance to clear your head and maybe research universities which aren't quite as prestigious, but which might be offering places in clearing 2014 so that if you don't improve on your grades, you already know which universities you'd be happy to study at instead (clearing sometimes means applying to and researching universities you'd never have otherwise applied for just for the sake of getting in this year).

If your uni's do look down on people that retake, then you'll probably have to accept that you won't be getting into them - not to sound too harsh. But to reiterate, clearing has some great courses! And top universities still advertise vacancies on there. But if BBB won't get you into those that are offering places (I know a lot require ABB and AAB minimum, which sucks for us), I'd say take the gap year, improve those grades, gain some awesome experience and reapply next year to a different university that's up there with Nottingham, UCL and King's.

Best of luck with whatever you decide on doing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh yeah I can call them! thank you for reminding me ^-^. I've already withdrawn my application for this years so after calling them, if they do tell me that they wont allow it then I'll just apply to other unis that will accept me. I don't really mind going to other universities as long as I get to do Pharmacy.
    As for the gap year, I'm thinking of getting a part time job to save up for next year and do some volunteering in a charity shop near my house . I did a YASS course on meteorology last year and I really enjoyed it so I'm thinking of doing something similar again, a course which is related to pharmacy or chemistry/biology; I need to do some more research on that. Oh and I'm also thinking of volunteering in my local pharmacy if they let me, that is. Do you think that is enough? or is there anything else that I could/should do during the gap year?

ReputationRep:
    That sounds like plenty of things to do. Remember, you've still gotta leave some time for studying.

But I'd say if you still find yourself wanting to do more to fill the time, maybe have a look online for some suggestions for activities which impress uni's. Maybe something like working towards a Duke of Edinburgh award could be worthwhile - I know one section of it is volunteering, so you can just volunteer at the charity shop and/or pharmacy like you mentioned. There's a few other sections like learning a new skill (maybe learn to play an instrument?) and taking up a physical activity, both of which you can continue in your uni years, so it's not just like 'filler' for your gap year.

If you do go down the Duke of Edinburgh award route, don't panic to try and finish it. A lot of my friends signed up for it, completed a section or two and said they were working on it in their personal statements.

But yeah I'm sidetracking a bit here, lol. Like I said, all you've mentioned sounds fine. Maybe when the time comes to explaining why you took a gap year to uni's, stress how it was more to gain some experience (through the pharmacy and the course), and less about how you really wanted to improve your grades.

Enjoy your gap year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.