Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AS grades and no idea what to do with my life - Help!!!! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey so basically I got my AS level results yesterday and they were okay but not great. I got -

Fine Art - C
    Photography - C
    Travel and Tourism - C
    Geography - D

My problem is that I have absolutely no idea what I want to do as a career later in life, if I want to go to University or even if I want to go back to college next year! I have hated college this year for various reasons which is why I got typically bad results!

I also have no idea what I'm interested in and I have absolutely no motivation at all at the moment meaning I'm not really interested in anything. I do however enjoy fashion and have a part time working in a clothes shop which I love

Is it worth trying to find a different college that I may like better that still does A Levels as I sort of want to get the full A levels otherwise I feel like I have wasted this year???

Or shall I not go back to college in September and take a bit of a break and pick up more hours at my part time job????

Any advice would be really helpful as I'm really stuck and I feel like I'm going nowhere in life, however I don't want to mess up my life by making the wrong decision!

Also just to add that college constantly gets me down and I feel depressed when I'm there due to the fact that I find the work too hard, the college is miles away from my house meaning it takes me around an hour to get there everyday and I just don't enjoy the subjects or get on well with the lectures.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    mcdonalds is waiting for u

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ravishingrick69)

Also waiting for you if you have nothing more intelligent to say.
    • Welcome Squad

(Original post by ravishingrick69)
    Actually Mcdonald's in the us, I heard have really good employee reward schemes. So op if they're lucky to employ you then you'll be living it.

On a serious note, if you don't enjoy your subjects and are depressed going to a college so far away, then I would suggest moving to a college closer to your home, restarting and picking up subject that you will enjoy.
    I hope that helps a little bit.

ReputationRep:
    My advice to you would be to try stick another year and finish with A levels that you have now... Cause it's only for another year and it goes by so quickly. So yeah see how it goes and like apply for uni's and then after results day again see how you feel whether you want to do your degree or go full time in your job or take a gap year or something. Because you could always apply for uni in two years after your gap year... so yeah...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymouspie227)
    Actually Mcdonald's in the us, I heard have really good employee reward schemes. So op if they're lucky to employ you then you'll be living it.

On a serious note, if you don't enjoy your subjects and are depressed going to a college so far away, then I would suggest moving to a college closer to your home, restarting and picking up subject that you will enjoy.
    I hope that helps a little bit.
    lol repped

ReputationRep:
    This isn't the end of the world and to be honest, A Levels are much more important than your job, so i'd suggest going back to college instead of dropping out. Without higher qualifications, you'll really struggle to find good employment opportunities when you're older!
    Perhaps you really need to look into university courses for next year or apprenticeships, which you could work towards. Having an ultimate goal does, i've found, help to motivate you!
    I would suggest you go back to college and take these AS's to the full A Level! However, like you said, look into other colleges and perhaps visit them! They can be really helpful if you're feeling like you've hit a dead end!

By the way, this is coming from someone who stayed at their school sixth form for two years, which they hated, but managed to get the grades to go to University this year! Don't drop out just because of the travel time - my sixth form was 1 and a half hours away, but it was dedication which kept me going!
    Get your future plan and just knuckle down. I know it's easy to say and harder to do, but if you want to make something of yourself, you'll just have to stick with it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amyxo)
    Hey so basically I got my AS level results yesterday and they were okay but not great. I got -

Fine Art - C
    Photography - C
    Travel and Tourism - C
    Geography - D

My problem is that I have absolutely no idea what I want to do as a career later in life, if I want to go to University or even if I want to go back to college next year! I have hated college this year for various reasons which is why I got typically bad results!

I also have no idea what I'm interested in and I have absolutely no motivation at all at the moment meaning I'm not really interested in anything. I do however enjoy fashion and have a part time working in a clothes shop which I love

Is it worth trying to find a different college that I may like better that still does A Levels as I sort of want to get the full A levels otherwise I feel like I have wasted this year???

Or shall I not go back to college in September and take a bit of a break and pick up more hours at my part time job????

Any advice would be really helpful as I'm really stuck and I feel like I'm going nowhere in life, however I don't want to mess up my life by making the wrong decision!

Also just to add that college constantly gets me down and I feel depressed when I'm there due to the fact that I find the work too hard, the college is miles away from my house meaning it takes me around an hour to get there everyday and I just don't enjoy the subjects or get on well with the lectures.

Thank you
    I'd stick with college! You mentioned an interest in fashion, maybe start looking up courses related to that, there's all sorts of college and uni courses out there. There's the design aspect and the business and marketing retail side, which your part time job will give you great experience in. Maybe if you found a course you liked the sound of and saw the grade requirements that could give you the motivation you need to finish the year. The year will go really quickly and will all be worth it when you find something you really want to do. :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amyxo)

Fine Art - C
    Photography - C
    Travel and Tourism - C
    Geography - D

Thank you

Hey there!

I am A Fashion student at UCA Epsom and thought I'd tell you a bit about the university and what they offer.

As you mentioned that you have an interest in Fashion and that you are uncertain about what you want to do, I would suggest you have a look at the pre-degree course at UCA here: http://www.ucreative.ac.uk/pre-degree

By doing a foundation at UCA you have the opportunity to try and explore various areas within something creative whether it be fashion, graphics, fine arts, etc. you'll get to try all and then get advise, e to one tutorials on what to do after with undergraduate level or even perhaps employability options (where possible).

You may get onto the 2 years foundation at UCA with your grades. It will be at the University campus so it's nothing like being at college and you'll get to meet undergrads as well as postgrads.

You can get in contact with: [email protected] or call 0800 068 0088 to discuss your options with UCA.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask me anything if I can help

Good luck

Dodi

Fashion student @UCA Epsom

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.