Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I display all the symptoms and had it when I was a child, problem is a bit nervous to approach my doctor about it....

Anyone else have this and how did they approach a doctor.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dumachi)
    I display all the symptoms and had it when I was a child, problem is a bit nervous to approach my doctor about it....

Anyone else have this and how did they approach a doctor.
    Not sure about ADHD, but my experience with mental health disorders:

I remember the first time I plucked up the courage to finally see a doctor. Was absolutely panicking and shaking when I talked about my symptoms and how it affected day-to-day life (that's what she wanted to know) and whatever I could remember from my past and where I first noticed it e.g. in high school. I was surprised at how calm she was about it and seemed to be very understanding, asked more questions so I just kept talking (and in the end felt less anxious after I told everything). I was given a questionnaire to fill out right there and then which had some questions on a rating system and then afterwards she talked about treatment options, what to expect and monthly appointments.

The medication was crap and I ended up switching and trying various ones (and switching doctors, eventually no longer seeing any female doctors at all - in my experience the male doctors are more quick to prescribe the non-conventional drugs instead of constant SSRIs which never did work for me even after long-term use), but the service itself and the whole experience was well worth it because it means you've finally done it and feel like things will be different now.

Btw one of my friends had ADHD (or ADD) and he went through some sort of interview and activity process in order to get diagnosed and then got prescribed methylphenidate to help keep focused with work. Unfortunately the long-term effects weren't very positive and ended up switching to something else.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 16, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.