The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

King's College Medicine applicants 2014 entry

Hi

I could not find a thread for that so i created one. Is anybody applying to kings for medicine this year?? :cool:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kcapsoccer
Hi

I could not find a thread for that so i created one. Is anybody applying to kings for medicine this year?? :cool:

I am! :smile: how did your AS results go yesterday?

Posted from TSR Mobile

EDIT: here's the offer holders' Facebook group!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/230996260417937/
(edited 10 years ago)
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Flobie
I am! :smile: how did your AS results go yesterday?

Posted from TSR Mobile

i did good i got 4 as in chemistry biology maths and physics.:biggrin: How did you do?
i did good i got 4 as in chemistry biology maths and physics.:biggrin: How did you do?

Well done, same here :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Hi guys, I'm just going into 2nd year doing medicine at King's. If you've got any questions about applying or the course, feel free to ask.
Reply 5
Original post by x_ANT
Hi guys, I'm just going into 2nd year doing medicine at King's. If you've got any questions about applying or the course, feel free to ask.

Hi, do you know whats more important to kings between the ukcat and the a levels. I am doing the ukcat in a few weeks so if i get a score lower than 700 will kings do not consider me at all? Thanks.
Original post by x_ANT

I got ABBC for maths, chemistry, physics and biology, would you advice that j apply with these grades, or just finish a2 and apply with a2 grades which I would try to bring up to a*s and a's hopefully

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Hi, do you know whats more important to kings between the ukcat and the a levels. I am doing the ukcat in a few weeks so if i get a score lower than 700 will kings do not consider me at all? Thanks.

My averaged UKCAT score was 690 and I got an early interview. However, I think academic background weighs quite heavily in interview selection, so you will need good GCSEs and A levels. To answer your question, you will be considered if you score below 700, as was I. They do have a cut off, but I don't think anyone really knows what it is. I'm not sure whether UKCAT or A levels are more important, I think they're quite similar, possibly the UKCAT more important.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by precious maro
I got ABBC for maths, chemistry, physics and biology, would you advice that j apply with these grades, or just finish a2 and apply with a2 grades which I would try to bring up to a*s and a's hopefully

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your chemistry will need to be an A. You could continue with maths, which is already an A and then one of the others. Do you mean should you apply next year when you've finished your A levels completely? Because if you apply this year, I think you still put down your AS level results, and your teachers will send their predicted grades.
Original post by x_ANT
Your chemistry will need to be an A. You could continue with maths, which is already an A and then one of the others. Do you mean should you apply next year when you've finished your A levels completely? Because if you apply this year, I think you still put down your AS level results, and your teachers will send their predicted grades.

yeah, I mean what are my chances of getting in this year with those grades or im I better off taking a gap year and applying with A2 results
Reply 10
Hi all,

May I know your thoughts on King's College's student satisfaction rankings on Unistats.com? The average rating is 58% and I find that quite dismal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by karthvee
Hi all,

May I know your thoughts on King's College's student satisfaction rankings on Unistats.com? The average rating is 58% and I find that quite dismal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

To be honest, I don't really know why it's that low. Most people I know don't seem to have much of a problem with the course. The only problem really is occasional technical hitches with our virtual campus and lecture recordings.
Hi all,

Posted from TSR Mobile

From a kings alumni, this is entirely accurate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Especially with the mess ups Medicine has had this year - forcing yr4 to retake OB/GYN exam.

Google it, can't be bothered to type out what happened

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by PotterLaw
Especially with the mess ups Medicine has had this year - forcing yr4 to retake OB/GYN exam.

Google it, can't be bothered to type out what happened

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh dear, that does sound bad! PotterLaw, even the bit about feedback not being prompt and of quality is accurate?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh dear, that does sound bad! PotterLaw, even the bit about feedback not being prompt and of quality is accurate?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Absolutely. The administration of the entire Uni is rather shocking. It has plenty of good points. With regards to medicine you've got excellent hospitals & facilities. But there are a lot of grumbling that's getting louder from the med school. I've got friends who are now going in to their last yr & not feeling supported by the college.
True, I personally didn't do medicine, although I was still on Guys campus (now doing law) but you glean a lot from having medic friends.

I don't mean to turn anyone off kings, I would just be aware that the admin side of it isn't great
Reply 17

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree with PotterLaw that the administration isn't great, but in medicine, in the first two years anyway (I'm just going into 2nd year), there isn't actually much to get feedback on. We have tutorials in small groups, so that's immediate feedback. We have small tests called timed tests, of which only one counts, and you find out how you did. Questions for exams are multiple choice, so there isn't really much to elaborate on with feedback there. We have an essay at the end of the year, which you find out your feedback from in September, once the marks are ratified.
Original post by x_ANT
I agree with PotterLaw that the administration isn't great, but in medicine, in the first two years anyway (I'm just going into 2nd year), there isn't actually much to get feedback on. We have tutorials in small groups, so that's immediate feedback. We have small tests called timed tests, of which only one counts, and you find out how you did. Questions for exams are multiple choice, so there isn't really much to elaborate on with feedback there. We have an essay at the end of the year, which you find out your feedback from in September, once the marks are ratified.

Yeah true. I think the feedback thing I was referring to was during clinical yrs. people saying that ok some placements they felt lost with little or no help from consultants etc.Unfortunately this can be true of many hospitals!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by PotterLaw
Yeah true. I think the feedback thing I was referring to was during clinical yrs. people saying that ok some placements they felt lost with little or no help from consultants etc.Unfortunately this can be true of many hospitals!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I can understand that, but like you said, I don't think that is an uncommon thing in hospitals and many unis. They do appear to be acting on feedback from students a lot more now though, so hopefully this is something that will improve.

Quick Reply

Latest