The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

King's College Medicine applicants 2014 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1100
at interview, are they more likely to ask you about general medicine in the news (e.g. new discoveries etc) or specific governmental health policies and their issues (e.g. the NHS reforms, NICE etc)? i don't know what to focus my study on!
also, in addition to policies such as NICE, what are they likely to ask you about? help would be much appreciated, got my interview tomorrow ahh!
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
What are the government health policies?

And can someone explain to me what NICE do? The info on the Internet seems unclear!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BWFC4life
They sent an invite through the portal ages ago but I only opened it recently! It's in 12 hours so maybe I should be preparing :wink:
Can I just query what your stats are? :smile:
GCSE's 10A*s
As. 4As
Predicted 3A*s
Ukcat. 750

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, don't want to sound to negative, but has anyone actually been rejected for undergrad entry yet?
GCSE's 10A*s
As. 4As
Predicted 3A*s
Ukcat. 750

Posted from TSR Mobile

We have the same stats haha! I've got an interview on the 16th :smile:
Heard from so many people that Kings is being kicked out of the Russell group- just wondering if there is any truth in this and what every one knows about it?
Original post by lixto
at interview, are they more likely to ask you about general medicine in the news (e.g. new discoveries etc) or specific governmental health policies and their issues (e.g. the NHS reforms, NICE etc)? i don't know what to focus my study on!
also, in addition to policies such as NICE, what are they likely to ask you about? help would be much appreciated, got my interview tomorrow ahh!

I've researched NHS reforms and I think I understand those! NICE is quite confusing though :s-smilie: really hoping I don't get asked about all that..
I'm going through all standard questions and apparently they quiz you about your PS quite a bit!
Best of luck with your interview :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1108
Original post by kylesmiles
What are the government health policies?

And can someone explain to me what NICE do? The info on the Internet seems unclear!

Posted from TSR Mobile

sorry in advance for the long post! its good interview prep for me to write it out too :smile:
basically the whole point of NICE is that they maintain high standards of care by working with the NHS, the Care Quality Commission and Monitor (which monitors the standard of health care, if you hadn't guessed by the name...:wink:).their guidelines are based on evidence-based medicine. they regulate the use of finite sources within the NHS, and are responsible for the acceptance or rejection of new drugs within the NHS based on how economically beneficial they are - scandals concerning NICE include the fact that they don't allow some revolutionary drugs onto the NHS treatment plan on the grounds that they are too expensive.

the current government policies include:
-health and social care act - increase competition to boost efficiency etc.
-replacing PCTs by Clinical Commissioning Groups
-introducing new bodies e.g. Monitor, National Commissioning Board (manage NHS), Health and Wellbeing Boards (oversee public health, run by local authorities and CCGs).

this is a really basic overview, but probably all you need to know to answer any question they throw at you! if i've got anything wrong, or there's anything to add, please do :smile:
What are the chances?! There's a book written by ISC interview questions and answers second edition, having had my interview I can't disclose questions. However, that will really help and has all the bases covered :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1110
Interview for GEM at Kings! At least we know they're sending them out now! Good luck to everyone who has an interview
Can anyone who's had an interview clarify whether it is a questionnaire or essay that we have to write on the day?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1112
Original post by Shi_le
Interview for GEM at Kings! At least we know they're sending them out now! Good luck to everyone who has an interview

Congrats - me too!!!!

Good luck and congratulations to anyone who has one, and fingers crossed to those waiting to hear :smile:

Just wondering for those that have heard - when you accepted the invitation, did it stay "greyed out" or did it return to being able to change the options??
Reply 1113
Original post by jam-jam
Congrats - me too!!!!

Good luck and congratulations to anyone who has one, and fingers crossed to those waiting to hear :smile:

Just wondering for those that have heard - when you accepted the invitation, did it stay "greyed out" or did it return to being able to change the options??

it did that to me when i accepted - just look at the home page of the portal and it should say 'thank you for accepting our invitation' or something like that :smile:
Reply 1114
Original post by lixto
it did that to me when i accepted - just look at the home page of the portal and it should say 'thank you for accepting our invitation' or something like that :smile:

just logged back in and it says that - thanks for the info :smile:
will they hand any more invites out this december?
What are the chances?! There's a book written by ISC interview questions and answers second edition, having had my interview I can't disclose questions. However, that will really help and has all the bases covered :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

is that what you mainly used to prepare if you don't mind me asking? hope your interview went well? Also, you know they ask you to upload your GCSE certificates, do they want any other certificates uploaded like confirming the qualifications you put into ucas like d of e?
Original post by ocelot92
will they hand any more invites out this december?

from what I've heard, all invites for interviews in Dec have been handed out but there will be another batch sent out in January!
Reply 1118
I know that UG and GEM interviews are a bit different but from what I've seen on here about UG interviews and from what my GEM interview invite letter says there seems to be some similarities and was wondering if anyone with some KCL experience could give me a bit of info?

Just general things really ....

If you've had an interview with KCL with an ethical dilemma/issue, what kind of things was it about? (I'm trying to gauge whether it would be current affairs or general ethical issues like euthanasia etc.)

If anyone has experienced their MMI format - I know unlike some MMI unis it isn't really stations with tasks but more like mini interviews and was wondering if any of you seasoned interviewees (!! - I've only had one interview my entire life haha!!) had any tips?

Thanks in advance for any help and good luck to all UG and GEM applicants to KCL and other places :smile:
Original post by jam-jam
I know that UG and GEM interviews are a bit different but from what I've seen on here about UG interviews and from what my GEM interview invite letter says there seems to be some similarities and was wondering if anyone with some KCL experience could give me a bit of info?

Just general things really ....

If you've had an interview with KCL with an ethical dilemma/issue, what kind of things was it about? (I'm trying to gauge whether it would be current affairs or general ethical issues like euthanasia etc.)

If anyone has experienced their MMI format - I know unlike some MMI unis it isn't really stations with tasks but more like mini interviews and was wondering if any of you seasoned interviewees (!! - I've only had one interview my entire life haha!!) had any tips?

Thanks in advance for any help and good luck to all UG and GEM applicants to KCL and other places :smile:

Hi,
The KCL GPEP interview is MMI...
We're not actually allowed to say too much about it as your made to sign a piece of paper but sessentially it's 8 stations of 5 minutes long in duration.
There are 2 ethics stations - Nothing particularily hard it's more like how you think. You get time to prepare before hand. One more ethics and more current events
The other 6 stations are the obvious stuff really you'd expect in any interview (why medicine etc)... Unlike St Georges the MMI here the interviewers do speak back to you after you've answered the question so be prepared to be quick with some answers
I really enjoyed it and was completely myself - And now I'm here. I screwed up on one station royally, but just laughed it off.
Just show them you have a personality and you're not a robot. Everyone is from such different backgrounds.
Hope that is of some help :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest