The Student Room Group

University in America - opinions please guys!

Hello everybody,

I'm currently in high school and I've had like an adrenalin rush to move to America to study business!

OK, so I've recently found out you've got to be 21 years old to drink in America so I was thinking I could do my A-levels, have a gap year, go to uni in the UK for 2 years until I'm 21 and then finish off whatever I'm doing or get a higher degree! It sounds like I've got it covered I guess haha but obviously they'll be tonnes of implications! I'd like to point out this is 6+ years down the line!

So I know everyone's going to ask whereabouts in America because its all different but I've chatted to a few American friends and seen as, as well as studying I want to be able to go the amazing beaches but chill at the same time that Florida and California would be my best options - what do you guys think?

Ok so I've researched a fair bit but anything I should be aware of? Please don't be 100% negative and ruin my day ! :wink:

I guess j want to move out their for a different quality of life and just to experience it.. even if it is only for 2 years!

If anyone knows what the application is like for international students in uni's out there then that's be great too!

Thanks o/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
BUMP - no replies as of yet!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Do you know how much it costs to study in the US? You don't pay American fees, you pay international fees which are very expensive. 1 year in the US costs more than the entire 3 years of study in the UK. So unless you come from a wealthy family or receive a scholarship it's very unlikely. Plus, Florida and California don't even offer the best Universities in the country, the best ones are where you won't even find a beach.

If you really want the weather and the beaches then why not try Mediterranean countries?
Original post by mariocasas
Plus, Florida and California don't even offer the best Universities in the country, the best ones are where you won't even find a beach.

??? There is certainly no US state that has better universities than California. There is practically no country which has.

Stanford, Berkeley, Caltech, USC, UCLA, UCSD, UC Davis, UC Irvine, UCSF, Claremont...
Original post by cambio wechsel
??? There is certainly no US state that has better universities than California. There is practically no country which has.

Stanford, Berkeley, Caltech, USC, UCLA, UCSD, UC Davis, UC Irvine, UCSF, Claremont...

You bet me to it! What an odd statement to make.

Although he does have a point regarding fees! Ouch.
You really want to split up your degree like that, just so you can wait to drink in the states?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
There are great universities all over the country, but it's true that, of all the states, there's probably the highest concentration of good universities in California. That said, if you go to one of the top universities in California, you probably won't have much time to drink or go to the beach! The degree programs are pretty intensive and will require a ton of work... I would think that going to a top school would be the only option in the States worth the money you'd be stuck spending.
Reply 7
Original post by cambio wechsel

Um...DC in general has better unis than Cali.

Overall though, it depends what you want to study. There are schools that aren't well known that have pretty impressive programs in some areas.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by mariocasas
Do you know how much it costs to study in the US? You don't pay American fees, you pay international fees which are very expensive. 1 year in the US costs more than the entire 3 years of study in the UK. So unless you come from a wealthy family or receive a scholarship it's very unlikely. Plus, Florida and California don't even offer the best Universities in the country, the best ones are where you won't even find a beach.

If you really want the weather and the beaches then why not try Mediterranean countries?

There isn't an international student fee. Just out of state. Though if you go to a private school the tuition is the same for all students. Private schools tend to be more affordable, especially for international students as they have more funding to give in regards to grants and scholarships

Edit: I'm confused as to why this received a negative rating. It's true
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by UK_Menna
Hello everybody,

I'm currently in high school and I've had like an adrenalin rush to move to America to study business!

OK, so I've recently found out you've got to be 21 years old to drink in America so I was thinking I could do my A-levels, have a gap year, go to uni in the UK for 2 years until I'm 21 and then finish off whatever I'm doing or get a higher degree! It sounds like I've got it covered I guess haha but obviously they'll be tonnes of implications! I'd like to point out this is 6+ years down the line!

So I know everyone's going to ask whereabouts in America because its all different but I've chatted to a few American friends and seen as, as well as studying I want to be able to go the amazing beaches but chill at the same time that Florida and California would be my best options - what do you guys think?

Ok so I've researched a fair bit but anything I should be aware of? Please don't be 100% negative and ruin my day ! :wink:

I guess j want to move out their for a different quality of life and just to experience it.. even if it is only for 2 years!

If anyone knows what the application is like for international students in uni's out there then that's be great too!

Thanks o/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Um...you're really deciding your future timeline based on drinking age? You realize drinking isn't everything

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
So if I'm reading this correctly, you want to study for two years in the UK then two years in the US. Since the comments here are fairly California centric, I thought I'd thrown in a Floridian's opinion. There are good schools in Florida, and some of the smaller ones offer okay tuition rates for 'out of state' students (which you would likely be classified as) while still having good business schools. Admittedly, two of the better ranked state schools, UF and FSU are somewhat inland, a bit of a drive from the beach. All I can say is research research research! Don't rely entirely on school rankings or websites, consider what real world experience and business partnerships they offer along with membership in professional organizations and outside accreditation.

Perhaps more important is the issue of credit transfer, which may be determined on case by case basis for each university. Again, this means you get research universities to see which gives you more credit towards degree completion as many may try to match course for course.

Don't forget about funding options as well! You may find that completing your entire degree in the US will make you eligible to compete for more scholarships. Or, the other option, that I strongly recommend looking at is finding a UK/EU university that includes study abroad in its program. Why not skip the gap year, complete your undergraduate study in the UK, then do a masters degree (likely two years full time) in the US?

If you have questions about where to look in Florida, feel free to ask.
Original post by JMuslimah
Um...DC in general has better unis than Cali.

Um... Do me a lemon.

According to the most recent THES world rankings,not definitive but a useful enough metric for the discussion being had, here is how Californian universities shape up in global terms:

Caltech - first in the world
Stanford - 3rd
Berkeley - 9th
UCLA - 14th
UCSB - 35th
UCSD - 38th
UC Davis - 44th
USC - 56th
UC Irvine - 96th

That's 9 Californian universities in the top hundred worldwide. (The UK has 10. DC has none.) Yes, rankings are subjective, but they surely don't go that far awry. I mean, even if we dropped every uni in Cali by 20 places, there would still be 8 in the top 100...

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2012-13/world-ranking
Reply 12
Hello everybody,

Thanks o/

Posted from TSR Mobile

My advise would be, if you want to go,go. But I would suggest getting a degree first, I.e not taking a gap yet, then going over to the US for your masters. As otherwise it is very hard to transfer in 2nd year. You could also look at UK unis that have exchange programmed that allow you to spend a year abroad, but do remember that this wont necessarily appear on your transcript :tongue:
Reply 13
Woah thanks for the advice guys!

I've PM'd a few of you and I've been researching, researching and researching some more!

To those of you who have attacked me about the drinking and beaches - I knew it was coming but it's a fact.. I'm being straight rather than saying I want to go somewhere isolated?

RE the money issue.. It's a tough one but I'm pretty sure myself and my parents can fund it!

At the end of the day, you.. me.. we'll only life once so why not do what I want to do if I can do it?

Sounds like the gap years a no-go so I might as well take one after? Or just forget about it hahaha!

Is it true the schools careers advisor may be able to help me?

Thanks again,
Menna

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by je13
So if I'm reading this correctly, you want to study for two years in the UK then two years in the US. Since the comments here are fairly California centric, I thought I'd thrown in a Floridian's opinion. There are good schools in Florida, and some of the smaller ones offer okay tuition rates for 'out of state' students (which you would likely be classified as) while still having good business schools. Admittedly, two of the better ranked state schools, UF and FSU are somewhat inland, a bit of a drive from the beach. All I can say is research research research! Don't rely entirely on school rankings or websites, consider what real world experience and business partnerships they offer along with membership in professional organizations and outside accreditation.

Perhaps more important is the issue of credit transfer, which may be determined on case by case basis for each university. Again, this means you get research universities to see which gives you more credit towards degree completion as many may try to match course for course.

Don't forget about funding options as well! You may find that completing your entire degree in the US will make you eligible to compete for more scholarships. Or, the other option, that I strongly recommend looking at is finding a UK/EU university that includes study abroad in its program. Why not skip the gap year, complete your undergraduate study in the UK, then do a masters degree (likely two years full time) in the US?

If you have questions about where to look in Florida, feel free to ask.

You can always go for a swim in the lake at UF, if you're quite the thrillseeker :tongue:
Reply 15
As an American who has lived in California for 10 years, I would say don't get ahead of yourself. US university tuition is VERY expensive, even for public universities. Spending that amount on a bachelor's degree is absurd unless you are going to a top tier university (eg. Stanford, UC Berekley, UCLA, etc). Remeber to look at the business rankings of the universities you want to apply to. I think US News and World Report has ranking by subject for uindergrad.

If you feel confident, definitely apply; you may just get into a great place. If you don't get into a top tier uni, I would suggest go someplace cheap for your undergrad and do well, get some work experience, and then apply for an MBA in the States.
Reply 16
Original post by MantaRey
As an American who has lived in California for 10 years, I would say don't get ahead of yourself. US university tuition is VERY expensive, even for public universities. Spending that amount on a bachelor's degree is absurd unless you are going to a top tier university (eg. Stanford, UC Berekley, UCLA, etc). Remeber to look at the business rankings of the universities you want to apply to. I think US News and World Report has ranking by subject for uindergrad.

If you feel confident, definitely apply; you may just get into a great place. If you don't get into a top tier uni, I would suggest go someplace cheap for your undergrad and do well, get some work experience, and then apply for an MBA in the States.

Advice taken!

For the next 5 years I'll be researching anyway!

I'm going to 100% apply and see my best options most probably.

Yeah of course moneys a big issue but like I said, I'm pretty sure my parents can afford it!

You pay for the experience and life style too though - as well as some good ass education!

What's your favourite parts of living out in the US, or more specifically CA?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Advice taken!

For the next 5 years I'll be researching anyway!

I'm going to 100% apply and see my best options most probably.

Yeah of course moneys a big issue but like I said, I'm pretty sure my parents can afford it!

You pay for the experience and life style too though - as well as some good ass education!

What's your favourite parts of living out in the US, or more specifically CA?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its not just an issue of affording, but of getting value for your money. Why waste it when that same money could perhaps go to the MBA and be a better value? Like I said, if you do get into a top university, then the money will be worth it.

California is a great state. It is very multicultural, with whites, blacks, hispanics, and asians. On my street there were filipinoes, hispanics, whites, koreans, chinese, blacks, and Indians. Despite not being white, I never experienced any overt racism in California, only a few minor incidents that would be borderline. It has the very rich alongside the very poor. LA and San Francisco are great cities. SF is more contained while LA has the huge sprawl. San Jose is your tech hub while San Diego is the defense hub. Cali is more expensive compared to most other US states. Californians on the whole are very warm and welcoming of others.

I lived in SoCal and thought it was great. Its a bit more laid back, has great weather, and has a big beach culture. Car culture is HUGE in Cali. If you want to go anywhere you need a car. Only San Francisco has some sort of real public transport. Being in SoCal you are very close to Mexico, so its definitely worth heading south of the border, even with the security situation.

PM if you want to know anything else.
Reply 18
Original post by MantaRey
Its not just an issue of affording, but of getting value for your money. Why waste it when that same money could perhaps go to the MBA and be a better value? Like I said, if you do get into a top university, then the money will be worth it.

California is a great state. It is very multicultural, with whites, blacks, hispanics, and asians. On my street there were filipinoes, hispanics, whites, koreans, chinese, blacks, and Indians. Despite not being white, I never experienced any overt racism in California, only a few minor incidents that would be borderline. It has the very rich alongside the very poor. LA and San Francisco are great cities. SF is more contained while LA has the huge sprawl. San Jose is your tech hub while San Diego is the defense hub. Cali is more expensive compared to most other US states. Californians on the whole are very warm and welcoming of others.

I lived in SoCal and thought it was great. Its a bit more laid back, has great weather, and has a big beach culture. Car culture is HUGE in Cali. If you want to go anywhere you need a car. Only San Francisco has some sort of real public transport. Being in SoCal you are very close to Mexico, so its definitely worth heading south of the border, even with the security situation.

PM if you want to know anything else.

Will do - thanks for the info!

Yeah, I guess it could be a "waste of money" but at the end of the day.. experience is priceless!

What do you mean RE the MBA? It's a post-graduate degree in Business isn't it? So surely that's what I'm saying? Do my first degree over here then fly out and do the MBA? - excuse my confusion!
Original post by JMuslimah
There isn't an international student fee. Just out of state. Though if you go to a private school the tuition is the same for all students. Private schools tend to be more affordable, especially for international students as they have more funding to give in regards to grants and scholarships

Edit: I'm confused as to why this received a negative rating. It's true
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, there is an international student fee.

Quick Reply

Latest