The Student Room Group

At my wits end. Please help.

So yesterday was results day. I woke up, logged on to track and found that I had no offers, both my firm and insurance were withdrawn. To cut a long story short, I was predicted AAB and only achieved CCC due to having so many exams this summer (8 to be precise). This was all as a result from extenuating circumstances from last year which I won't delve in to. Its easy to see how distraught I am because of this.

After trying to ring the universities all day I was, and still am, unsuccessful in gaining a place anywhere. I know there are options such as just going to a lower institute that offer lower grades, not going completely or redoing A2's. But here's the thing. I know it may sound snobby but I would detest being at a uni that wasn't of my particular choice and would just end up dropping out. The second option just isn't really an option for me. And the final option, well I have already retaken the AS and it would devastate me to be another year behind. (The first year of AS was a result of extenuating circumstances also).

So, what the hell should I do?

Some advice would be great.
I'm in a similar position to you :redface:

I'm devestated that I haven't got into my choices and I've really got no other choice than having to resit A2 which will be painful because of my dream of going to university and being a year behind my gf and friends who'll be enjoying themslves in uni this coming year.
Original post by LewisD
So yesterday was results day. I woke up, logged on to track and found that I had no offers, both my firm and insurance were withdrawn. To cut a long story short, I was predicted AAB and only achieved CCC due to having so many exams this summer (8 to be precise). This was all as a result from extenuating circumstances from last year which I won't delve in to. Its easy to see how distraught I am because of this.

After trying to ring the universities all day I was, and still am, unsuccessful in gaining a place anywhere. I know there are options such as just going to a lower institute that offer lower grades, not going completely or redoing A2's. But here's the thing. I know it may sound snobby but I would detest being at a uni that wasn't of my particular choice and would just end up dropping out. The second option just isn't really an option for me. And the final option, well I have already retaken the AS and it would devastate me to be another year behind. (The first year of AS was a result of extenuating circumstances also).

I get that you don't want to spend another year at school or go to a lesser uni, but you need to decide which is the lesser of those two evils. You aren't going to get into AAB unis with CCC, so either you resit or you go to a uni that accepts CCC.

Alternatively:
What is it you wanted to study? Is there another way into that field - apprenticeships, vocational qualifications, employment?
If you're confident that you can nail it this time round, you might as well resit your A2s. Not wanting to go to a certain uni off the cuff isn't snobby, it's human nature. Remember that being older than fellow freshers at uni is really no big deal either. If you redo your A2s now and get a decent grade at a decent uni, it shouldn't harm your career prospects.

As Becca said, it's a choice between the lesser of two evils, and if you want to go to your dream uni, I think redoing A2s is the best option.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Becca-Sarah
I get that you don't want to spend another year at school or go to a lesser uni, but you need to decide which is the lesser of those two evils. You aren't going to get into AAB unis with CCC, so either you resit or you go to a uni that accepts CCC.

Alternatively:
What is it you wanted to study? Is there another way into that field - apprenticeships, vocational qualifications, employment?

Mechanical engineering. I know that there may be apprenticeships but none of them really interest me and are too bound to a specific thing.
Reply 5
Original post by LewisD

It depends on the degree you want to do, but if I was in your position I would either:

1) Get into any university, work really hard and apply for a transfer to a better university - not a lot of universities do this and it depends on the course though

2) Get a full time job and resit the exams and/or courseworks at the school. That way you would be saving money and out of the school

3)See if I could get onto a training programme or apprenticeship or something along those lines. I don't know what you want to do, but wannabe lawyers can enter at low level, do some courses then become a paralegal then work their way up.

I know neither are particularly ideal, sorry
Reply 6
Sorry if this has been suggested, havent read all posts. Why not attend a lower ranked university, then transfer the next year. I.e Bath spa - Bath University, Canterbury Christchurch - Kent, south east uni - Bristol.
I am not saying this universities are low quality but they will be step closer to the hoped for the hopeful university.
Original post by LewisD
Mechanical engineering. I know that there may be apprenticeships but none of them really interest me and are too bound to a specific thing.

Hi there,
Sorry you did not get into your chosen universities. I don't know if you have considered Kingston University, but we have a good Engineering department and offer Mechanical Engineering courses.

It might be worth a call to our hotline if you are interested to discuss whether they would have availability? 0844 842 9599.

I have included some news articles below relating to the mechanical engineering course and it's e-Racing team which you may find interesting.
http://www.kingston.ac.uk/news/article/1061/12-jul-2013-ku-eracing-shines-at-silverstone/
http://sec.kingston.ac.uk/news/2013/kingston-is-the-fastest-uk-university-at-isle-of-man-tt-zero-race/
http://www.kingston.ac.uk/news/article/1097/12-aug-2013-clearing-propels-ambulance-driver-to-pole-position-for-mechanical-engineering-degree/

Kind regards
Kerrie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending