The Student Room Group

Remark Advice.

Basically I will be studying Politics at degree level and hope to become involved in Politics later in some form. My firm Sheffield would have accepted A B B but I got B B B and therefore got rejected. I am waiting on York but I am hopeful that I will be able to secure a place there with a little luck. The remark would be purely for CV purposes and knowing that I got the grade I feel I deserved. I was 2 UMS, 1 Raw mark off an A overall. With last years grade boundaries I would have gotten my A as well which was frustrating. Here are my unit scores is it worth getting a remark?

Unit 1: 87/100 (June 2012)
Unit 2: 92/100 (June 2012)
AS Total: 179/200

Unit 3: 56/100 (June 2013)
Unit 4: 83/100 (June 2013)
A2 Total: 139/200

Overall Score: 318/400

If I got unit 3 remarked I would need just 1 extra raw mark to give me the extra 2 UMS marks needed for an A overall. My exam board is Edexcel and the cost of a remark is £36 is it worth getting a remark?
You could get a priority remark done, and you may still have a chance of getting in to Sheffield, I think. Whether it is worth it or not, depends on if you feel you will get that extra mark you need.
Reply 2
Original post by EXTREMEninja
You could get a priority remark done, and you may still have a chance of getting in to Sheffield, I think. Whether it is worth it or not, depends on if you feel you will get that extra mark you need.

I rang Sheffield who said they would maybe let me in if the remark went up to an A but I was not interest after that. I will not go somewhere where I am clearly not wanted. I felt the exam went well I was amazed to see that I had got a D and therefore a B overall.
Reply 3
Original post by The_Oracle95
Basically I will be studying Politics at degree level and hope to become involved in Politics later in some form. My firm Sheffield would have accepted A B B but I got B B B and therefore got rejected. I am waiting on York but I am hopeful that I will be able to secure a place there with a little luck. The remark would be purely for CV purposes and knowing that I got the grade I feel I deserved. I was 2 UMS, 1 Raw mark off an A overall. With last years grade boundaries I would have gotten my A as well which was frustrating. Here are my unit scores is it worth getting a remark?

Unit 1: 87/100 (June 2012)
Unit 2: 92/100 (June 2012)
AS Total: 179/200

Unit 3: 56/100 (June 2013)
Unit 4: 83/100 (June 2013)
A2 Total: 139/200

Overall Score: 318/400

If I got unit 3 remarked I would need just 1 extra raw mark to give me the extra 2 UMS marks needed for an A overall. My exam board is Edexcel and the cost of a remark is £36 is it worth getting a remark?

I would go for the remark. 56 is much much lower than the rest. At the very least I would request my script back it's around £10 but the deadline is the 22nd August for Edexcel according to my sixth form
Hi all,

My firm offer was ABB, I got A in maths OCR MEI, B in biology OCR (2 UMS points from an A), C in chemistry A OCR(6 UMS marks from a C)

My firm said they will accept me if i remark and improved to a B in chemistry

Do you think i should send off all my chemistry papers in the hope of raising 6 marks between them?? Since id have to significantly drop to go down a grade, theres not much i could lose i guess? I was suprised at my ISA A2 grade, teacher predicted 1 mark off an A where i infact got a C.

I
Original post by The_Oracle95
I rang Sheffield who said they would maybe let me in if the remark went up to an A but I was not interest after that. I will not go somewhere where I am clearly not wanted. I felt the exam went well I was amazed to see that I had got a D and therefore a B overall.

Well they obviously won't let you in if you don't have the required grades. If you do the remark, and your overall grade goes to an A, then they probably will let you in. However, if you don't want to go, then I don't know if there is much point in a remark. If you think you stand a good chance of getting a better mark, then go for it.
oops i ment 6 UMS marks from a B

Quick Reply

Latest