Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi people. I am very interested in biochemistry and microbiology. My main problem is that I can't choose between the two. I need someone to point out the pros and cons of each degree and tell me what degree has more job prospects. Replys will be really appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Also what is the harder subject?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brentton)
    Hi people. I am very interested in biochemistry and microbiology. My main problem is that I can't choose between the two. I need someone to point out the pros and cons of each degree and tell me what degree has more job prospects. Replys will be really appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Biochemistry involves topics such as membranes, proteins, gene expression, metabolic pathways and some genetics. Microbiology, although technically includes all microorganisms, some courses are specific to bacteria (be careful of this if you want to study all microorganisms). It includes topics such as microbial cellular biochemistry, pathogen evasion strategies, drug action and clinical symptoms, life cycles of parasites and sometimes immunology of pathogenic invasions (this, like biochemistry, can be a wide area so it's hard to pinpoint the exact things you'd study).

You will find that a lot of people do subjects such as biochemistry or molecular biology and then go into microbiological research. Equally lots of people in microbiological research did microbiology degrees. However personally I'd say there are more options open for later if you do biochemistry. Degree prospects is difficult to say because it depends on how well you do in your degree.

Some microbiology courses can be accredited so that you can work in the NHS (if this is an option you want to pursue). Some aren't and so you'd have to do extra training. I will say that in my experience, a lot of people come to uni and then realise they don't like biochemistry because it does involve thermodynamics, reaction kinetics and complex pathways.

ReputationRep:
    why not do Biomed it focuses a lot on both areas

ReputationRep:
    If you go to a university such as Sheffield and apply for either Biochem or MicroBiology in the first year of your degree no matter which you apply for you do Biochemistry, MicroBiology, Genetics and Molecular Biology, Once you get into second and third years you can then specify to one of these courses. This way you get to find out what you like doing in first year and then slowly specify towards one degree. You are free at any point in the first 2 years to change your degree titel to any one of the four i listed above

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.