The Student Room Group

I got a lower UMS score after retakes...? Da ****?

Hi, just a general query...

I was always under the assumption that if I were to retake an exam and do badly, the exam board would only submit my higher score from the original exam paper.

Am I wrong...?

Three maths modules that I retook came up as a lower UMS score on my A2 results slip compared to my original UMS score.

----------------------

AS results:

Core 1 - 79 UMS
Core 2 - 85 UMS

A2 January 2013 results:

Core 3 - 78 UMS

A2 results:

Core 1 - 77 UMS
Core 2 - 75 UMS
Core 3 - 75 UMS

-----------------------

Can someone please explain this to me?

Cheers.
Original post by jamboogy

I was always under the assumption that if I were to retake an exam and do badly, the exam board would only submit my higher score from the original exam paper.

Am I wrong...?

Three maths modules that I retook came up as a lower UMS score on my A2 results slip compared to my original UMS score.

----------------------

AS results:

Core 1 - 79 UMS
Core 2 - 85 UMS

A2 January 2013 results:

Core 3 - 78 UMS

A2 results:

Core 1 - 77 UMS
Core 2 - 75 UMS
Core 3 - 75 UMS

-----------------------

Cheers.

That's strange, because they always take your highest scoring exam sitting.

Did you miss your offer as a result?
Reply 2

Only you can explain this...

Am I wrong...?

----------------------

AS results:

Core 1 - 79 UMS
Core 2 - 85 UMS

A2 January 2013 results:

Core 3 - 78 UMS

A2 results:

Core 1 - 77 UMS
Core 2 - 75 UMS
Core 3 - 75 UMS

-----------------------

Cheers.

The most likely explanation is that the exam board has not tied together the different entries as belonging to the same person. Check with your school exams office that you only have one UCI (candidate number, effectively) and then get them to query it with the exam board. We had one of these yesterday, a boy who was down as a C instead of an A because they ignored his 96 in C1 in January.
They are supposed to ignore retakes if they are lower than your original marks, if this is not the case I would suggest getting in touch with your exam officer or the exam boards directly so that it can be rectified.
Reply 5
Original post by James A
That's strange, because they always take your highest scoring exam sitting.

Did you miss your offer as a result?

No thank **** I managed to get into my firm, but I would still like to find out why this is the case.

Original post by tiny hobbit
The most likely explanation is that the exam board has not tied together the different entries as belonging to the same person. Check with your school exams office that you only have one UCI (candidate number, effectively) and then get them to query it with the exam board. We had one of these yesterday, a boy who was down as a C instead of an A because they ignored his 96 in C1 in January.

Ah okay. I actually emailed the head of my sixth form team about it yesterday afternoon but I've heard nothing from him as of yet. I guess I'll wait for his reply.

Thanks for your response.
No thank **** I managed to get into my firm, but I would still like to find out why this is the case.

Ah okay. I actually emailed the head of my sixth form team about it yesterday afternoon but I've heard nothing from him as of yet. I guess I'll wait for his reply.

Thanks for your response.

Tiny Hobbit is almost certainly right. Can you go to your school in person? It's the exams officer who will be the most help in this situation.

Quick Reply

Latest