Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Let me just get to the point. I've just finished my A2s and I've got A*AB (maths, physics and further maths) and A at economics AS.

Both unfortunately and fortunately, I've been rejected at both imperial and ucl for physics and mech Eng respectively.

About this January, I've been having some serious doubts about my choice of course. Physics appealed to me greatly last summer, but the more I thought about it, the more I thought I was rash at my choice. I couldn't even remember why I chose it in the first place anymore. I have lots of uni friends who regrets their course choice, and the only thing I could think of was not to join them in their regret. So I quickly changed physics to mechanical eng (I couldn't for inperial).

From that point on, I think I was less enthused about my subjects and gradually lost interest in them almost completely. I screwed up my A2 modules but managed to scrape the A*AB purely through my AS subject results.

I'm currently abroad in my home country and while I was waiting for my results, I went on lots of volunteer work - Especially around working with children. I thought I would hate it, but I actually loved working with them. I was invited to go on volunteer work to China and such, but since it was planning to go back to England September, I had to decline. I was pretty upset.

And so when I received my results yesterday, a number of thoughts leapt into my head. During AS, I was considering medicine for a long time, but I gave it up when I dropped chemistry in favour of economics. There was also my aversion to blood.

I haven't mentioned this to anyone because I know it's all very farfetched, but now I'm considering being a child psychiatrist. I know I'll have to do chemistry AS and A2 + all the other exams medicine students need to take + maybe biology + retake further maths modules to make that into an A + lots of work experience in hospitals. I also acknowledge that I may be at a disadvantage when I reapply because I've taken 3 years to finish my a-levels.

Do you guys think I'll be able to do this, and will universities be willing to accept me? Another thing is when I should apply. I know medicine students start applying September and that's virtually weeks away and I have nothing to write as personal statement (and I don't think I'm even qualified to apply) . If I wait a year to apply then I'll have to go to uni at 2015....

(unless there's a way to become a child psychiatrist without doing medicine first - which I know, doesn't exist)

Many thanks and sorry for the long post!

ReputationRep:
    Have you looked at some university's you would like to study at? Because then you can look at what subjects are preferred etc and take it from there? And gets loads of experience!!

Also; I don't think taking numerous years out to get experience\ desired a levels will put you at a disadvantage at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wandertree)
    Hello,

Let me just get to the point. I've just finished my A2s and I've got A*AB (maths, physics and further maths) and A at economics AS.

Both unfortunately and fortunately, I've been rejected at both imperial and ucl for physics and mech Eng respectively.

About this January, I've been having some serious doubts about my choice of course. Physics appealed to me greatly last summer, but the more I thought about it, the more I thought I was rash at my choice. I couldn't even remember why I chose it in the first place anymore. I have lots of uni friends who regrets their course choice, and the only thing I could think of was not to join them in their regret. So I quickly changed physics to mechanical eng (I couldn't for inperial).

From that point on, I think I was less enthused about my subjects and gradually lost interest in them almost completely. I screwed up my A2 modules but managed to scrape the A*AB purely through my AS subject results.

I'm currently abroad in my home country and while I was waiting for my results, I went on lots of volunteer work - Especially around working with children. I thought I would hate it, but I actually loved working with them. I was invited to go on volunteer work to China and such, but since it was planning to go back to England September, I had to decline. I was pretty upset.

And so when I received my results yesterday, a number of thoughts leapt into my head. During AS, I was considering medicine for a long time, but I gave it up when I dropped chemistry in favour of economics. There was also my aversion to blood.

I haven't mentioned this to anyone because I know it's all very farfetched, but now I'm considering being a child psychiatrist. I know I'll have to do chemistry AS and A2 + all the other exams medicine students need to take + maybe biology + retake further maths modules to make that into an A + lots of work experience in hospitals. I also acknowledge that I may be at a disadvantage when I reapply because I've taken 3 years to finish my a-levels.

Do you guys think I'll be able to do this, and will universities be willing to accept me? Another thing is when I should apply. I know medicine students start applying September and that's virtually weeks away and I have nothing to write as personal statement (and I don't think I'm even qualified to apply) . If I wait a year to apply then I'll have to go to uni at 2015....

(unless there's a way to become a child psychiatrist without doing medicine first - which I know, doesn't exist)

Many thanks and sorry for the long post!
    It is perfectly normal for you to have a change of heart- if anything it is better for you to find out now rather than a few months into your course! I know a few people that have failed years for physics at top unis... I would suggest having a look at several different Medicine courses online, seeing if the content appeals to you. Also email them, asking for advice. You may get nothing back but you may get some good advice. Remember Medicine is highly competitive and takes a lot of hard work to apply for. Even the entrance exams (UKCAT and BMAT) will need good preparation. However, you could apply also for Medicine with a foundation year- this is for people that have taken the wrong A-levels. Please check this out too, as you could do this instead of having to do Chemistry A-level and Biology. Since you said you liked working with children I would also not rule out looking at other healthcare courses, such as nursing. With your high A-level results you would be highly seen. In addition, try not to be too fixed on Child Psychiatry. You need to keep your options open on what career you want after studying Medicine. Get work experience in this sector to see what it is really like- this may be far different from your expectations! If you still have great interest in this field then by all means mention your interest and passion in you PS, but make sure you mention other aspects that interest you too, so you don't sound closed to other options. As for WHEN to apply, this is tricky. As you said, if you wait till next year, you'll be starting to study Medicine in 2015 if successful. This is a very long time away, and if you are not successful you need to have a back up plan, otherwise you'll have wasted 2 years. As for applying this year, I think the deadline is October the 15th (do check that though!) As you are no longer in Sixth Form, and I presume you are staying at home, this gives you quite a lot of time, whereas the Year 13s will be spending several hours stuck in school. If you were serious about this, and have checked that you can apply, then start preparing NOW. Research all the unis that would be most likely to take you, and apply to your strengths. E.g. don't apply to Birmingham if you don't have a minimum of 7A*s at GCSE. Get the UKCAT books (if you need to take the exam) and work really hard for it- a kick-ass grade can help you greatly, and so can a Kick-ass personal statement. It is achievable. You also need to know what you'll be doing for the rest of this year. It might be/ might not be necessary to retake exams, depending on if you are wanting to do a foundation year. I also knew a girl in a very similar position to you, who spent the year as a phlebotomist, so she got experience and a bit of money. You could maybe look into something like that? Anyway, I hope I have helped you a bit, good luck for the process and keep getting work experience! And many people who have failed to secure a place will be in the same situation as you- not knowing when to apply. Actually my brother was the opposite to you- he wanted to do Medicine right up until the last minute, when he changed his mind to Natural Sciences! xxx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.