Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So basically... i'm applying to uni for 07 entry.. well not now, but i am soon

And i'm really confused as to which uni to apply to, i study at a sixth form college in Leeds at the moment, and i know for sure i want to get out of Leeds (not coz it's bad just due to stuff that's happened and i wanna start a fresh); ideally i'd love to go somewhere in central london, like kings for example. but i've heard it can be 9thousand pounds to live!

Other than that i'm considering queen mary, east london uni and brunel uni.

I love the city life, i love shopping going out clubs etc.. but i also love working hard haha.

And most of all i love LONDON!!!

I'm really confused.. if anyone is studying at these unis, or lives near them or anything and could give me some information i'd be grateful..

Thank you
    xx

ReputationRep:
    i thought about applying 2 london but it is sooo expensive to live there and theres other places with a great night life, great shopping, basically a great city (like manchester). in the end i decided to go for liverpool. My only piece of advice is don't apply for all universities in the same area or different courses in one uni because trust me, u change ur mind alot! lol.

ReputationRep:
    yeah my mum said that!

but, i just wanna move out of leeds.. an manc is only around the corner.. like 20mins on a train; and i dunno other big cities just dont seem to attract me!

like id love to live in london, and my parents said they can pay for me if i get my four as this summer, but im scared i'll feel so lonely. and miss leeds. and then it's so far away

ReputationRep:
    dnt get me rong, if u reli wana go 2 london, go! its a fab city. yes the living expenses r sooo high but thers lots of ppl go 2 london unis. im moving from ni to liverpool so i cnt jus get a train and go home whenever i want. i have to pre book flights or boat but im not worried. i cnt wait 2 get away!

ReputationRep:
    awwwww that's so far away, you're really brave!
    i know.. initially i was like " i cant wait to get away" but now reading loads of posts im starting to think ill miss my family, even though we kinda hate eachother!
    i dunno it'll just be weird having to do everything myself, but i guess its independence and everything

i think i'm gonna go to London!!!

What you planning on studying? And when you starting, 06 or 07?

ReputationRep:
    If you don't mind a half-hour train ride, living in the places just outside London is marginally cheaper, but could make a difference over four years, e.g. Hertfordshire, Potters Bar type area.

ReputationRep:
    im studyin criminology with applied psychology. sounds interesting...my kinda course. lol. wat u studying? i start this year. 13 weeks 5 days till i move! lol

ReputationRep:
    What unis are there outside London?
    I'm sorry.. i don't know much!!

Do you know anything about queen mary btw? Is it good and is there good stuff near it.. like shopping, going out etc?

Thank you
    xxxxxxxxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    From what I know, (my mum went there eons ago) Queen Mary's isn't in a particularly nice part of London. They have got lots of nice new accomodation now, I think, and a student village type arrangement, but it's still quite a rough area. I quite fancied the London unis, but I didn't really like the idea that I might have to commute across the city, especially if I was living out. Plus I'm fairly broke, so the living costs didn't much appeal.
    They've got brilliant reputations though, several of the London unis, best thing to do is probably check out the prospectuses.

ReputationRep:
    If you think it's affordable, then go for it, but do remember there are other big cities out there.
    Also, I would recommend not applying to only London unis. It can be really good to have somewhere to fall back on if you change your mind, and you do have 6 choices.

(Original post by KinkayGema)
    dnt get me rong, if u reli wana go 2 london, go! its a fab city. yes the living expenses r sooo high but thers lots of ppl go 2 london unis. im moving from ni to liverpool so i cnt jus get a train and go home whenever i want. i have to pre book flights or boat but im not worried. i cnt wait 2 get away!
    No "txtspk" please, it's against the rules.

ReputationRep:
    London's great! it can be expensive but if you love it then it's worth it. You could always get a part time job to help with costs, but essentially it's normal to be a student and in dept.
    Kings is a lovely uni, although I'm not really sure about QMUL. You could also consider Goldsmiths and City, which are generally considered more prestigious than East london and Brunel. It really depends on your course, do you know what you want to study? Do a course search on UCAS under greater london for your course and you should get a good list. Also go to open days which will be very useful for where to eventually apply.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 15, 2006
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.