The Student Room Group

Working 2 part time jobs

Hi, recently got a job at Tesco (woo) but am also currently a floor manager at mcdonalds. Will only be working 16-18 hours a week so obviously wont be earning over the personal allowance threshold.

Question being.. Do I need to tell both employers I have another job? I can sort out my availability so they do not conflict... In the interview with Tesco I said id quit at mcds but it's only 9.5 hours a week and after sorting out my finances that's not enough hours for me to get by. Also studying at university.

Also, will the tax sort itself out or will I have to contact hmrevenue to give them my situation?
Reply 1
It would be wise to inform both employers of your availability and commitment to the other job but make sure you remind them of your ongoing commitment to them. As for the tax ensuring HMRC are aware that you are not gong to pay tax as you do not earn enough (get the right PAYE code)
Original post by neb789
It would be wise to inform both employers of your availability and commitment to the other job but make sure you remind them of your ongoing commitment to them. As for the tax ensuring HMRC are aware that you are not gong to pay tax as you do not earn enough (get the right PAYE code)

It may be wise to tell both of them. If they find out later on and you haven't told them, both of them will be pretty pissed off at you I'd imagine. Tax should be fine if you are still earning under the threshold.
Reply 3
For tax I would advise ringing up HMRC and telling them how much of your personal allowance you want allocating to each job. If you don't then they will do it themselves but ringing them tends to get it done quicker and if you don't the way they allocate it may put too much of it on one job and not enough on the other which will result in you paying tax unnecessarily towards the end of the tax year (you will then get it back but you're still without some of your wages until it's been calculated that you've overpaid).
Reply 4
Talk about repeating what id said 'king kebab'! :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah do what everyone else in this thread has said, tell both employers, etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending