Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Here's the problem, I am a straight A predicted student at A level.
    I am also an aspiring dentist, however, I decided after visiting some universities I was never going to reach the grades to get onto that course.

As a result, I decided that I was interested in doing biomedical material science which required ABB which I thought was more realistic - then do a graduate dental degree.

Then yesterday I received BCDD (B was in art so doesn't really count) at AS. My teachers were very shocked as was I and we're getting all of my papers back to see what went wrong (it doesn't look good on them either!)

So what I'm really asking is- will resitting the year hinder my chances of getting into a Russell group uni? But if I resit all exams I will have 14 exams including my A2, and do I bother applying to university this January?
    I'm really stuck at the moment so I'd really love some help.

ReputationRep:
    I got worse AS level grades than you and got into newcastle for biomed. I wouldn't worry about it, just make sure you get predicted ABB+ and you have every chance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cliff695)
    Here's the problem, I am a straight A predicted student at A level.
    I am also an aspiring dentist, however, I decided after visiting some universities I was never going to reach the grades to get onto that course.

As a result, I decided that I was interested in doing biomedical material science which required ABB which I thought was more realistic - then do a graduate dental degree.

Then yesterday I received BCDD (B was in art so doesn't really count) at AS. My teachers were very shocked as was I and we're getting all of my papers back to see what went wrong (it doesn't look good on them either!)

So what I'm really asking is- will resitting the year hinder my chances of getting into a Russell group uni? But if I resit all exams I will have 14 exams including my A2, and do I bother applying to university this January?
    I'm really stuck at the moment so I'd really love some help.
    Get good predictions and you can turn those around with hard work. It's all about your predictions. As for doing dentistry postgrad, i wouldn't advise it. It's even harder to get into second time and it's incredibly expensive. Also if you're asking about biomedical sciences, what is this doing in the dental forum? Also, resitting a year isn't advisable at all, just man up and sit those 14 exams, cancel your social life until january and get yourself a tutor, seriously, it's your best option. I've seen hundreds of cases just like this, it's always best to resit the exams, if that doesn't work, resit the year.

Best of luck with everything though, hope it all works out for you in the end!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kartace)
    Get good predictions and you can turn those around with hard work. It's all about your predictions. As for doing dentistry postgrad, i wouldn't advise it. It's even harder to get into second time and it's incredibly expensive. Also if you're asking about biomedical sciences, what is this doing in the dental forum? Also, resitting a year isn't advisable at all, just man up and sit those 14 exams, cancel your social life until january and get yourself a tutor, seriously, it's your best option. I've seen hundreds of cases just like this, it's always best to resit the exams, if that doesn't work, resit the year.

Best of luck with everything though, hope it all works out for you in the end!
    there isn't any jan exams anymore, also, I revised for 3 months for these exams haha. So it'll be 14 in may/June, but thank you!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.