Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I sadly learned yesterday that I missed my Oxford and Bristol offer to read law and am now in clearing due to having only received AAB.

However, I have received a number offers via clearing to read both History and Law. I have received offers to read History at Birmingham, Nottingham and Exeter. I have also received offers to read Law at Sheffield and Leicester.

I am now incredibly confused at which offer to accept. I am certainly interested in practising law, and hope to gain training contract at hopefully a magic circle firm. However, I am not particularly fussed about studying law itself; I am willing to undertake the GDL if necessary. I was, therefore, wondering if any of you could provide any advise on which university will best help me to achieve a training contract at an MC or London firm.

Thanks
    [:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InspirationA)
    Hey guys,

I sadly learned yesterday that I missed my Oxford and Bristol offer to read law and am now in clearing due to having only received AAB.

However, I have received a number offers via clearing to read both History and Law. I have received offers to read History at Birmingham, Nottingham and Exeter. I have also received offers to read Law at Sheffield and Leicester.

I am now incredibly confused at which offer to accept. I am certainly interested in practising law, and hope to gain training contract at hopefully a magic circle firm. However, I am not particularly fussed about studying law itself; I am willing to undertake the GDL if necessary. I was, therefore, wondering if any of you could provide any advise on which university will best help me to achieve a training contract at an MC or London firm.

Thanks
    [:
    Hi, I'm sorry that you missed your first choice offers. However, don't be too disappointed as you still hold a pretty strong hand. All those universities that you mentioned will produce graduates who will go on to train with big law firms - especially those doing law or history. What's important is that you make yourself an appealing candidate, which means good grades, good extra curriculars, and that you can demonstrate an interest and knowledge of City law (you seem pretty switched on in this last one).

Speaking from personal experience, I studied history at Exeter and got a training contract with a big US firm the summer I graduated, then did the GDL etc. fully funded. Obviously I have a certain bias, but I don't think you'd go far wrong with History at Exeter if law is what you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cymro7)
    x.
    You have no idea how good that is to hear . Thanks for that .

If you don't mind me asking, how well did you do in your degree, and did a lot of your course-mates get TC's or do you have to be exceptional?

ReputationRep:
    You have no idea how good that is to hear . Thanks for that .

If you don't mind me asking, how well did you do in your degree, and did a lot of your course-mates get TC's or do you have to be exceptional?

No problem. I did get a first, which clearly makes things easier, but there are people who got 2:1s who have been offered TCs, although I'm sure getting interviews was a little harder for them. As for whether you have to be 'exceptional' - I would say that, regardless of where you go to university, there has to be something exceptional about you to be offered a TC by a big firm, and good academics are, and always will be, a big part of that.

Please don't base your decision solely on the fact that some person on TSR who did history at Exeter got a TC - this is a big decision and it needs to be considered carefully. But what I do feel comfortable in saying is that by getting a good grade (68+) in history at Exeter (or any other good uni!!), as well as the things I mentioned in my previous post, then you will be setting yourself up nicely as an attractive candidate. The fact that you're already thinking about these things convinces me that you're already on the right track. Whatever you do - just give it 100%.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cymro7)
    No problem. I did get a first, which clearly makes things easier, but there are people who got 2:1s who have been offered TCs, although I'm sure getting interviews was a little harder for them. As for whether you have to be 'exceptional' - I would say that, regardless of where you go to university, there has to be something exceptional about you to be offered a TC by a big firm, and good academics are, and always will be, a big part of that.

Please don't base your decision solely on the fact that some person on TSR who did history at Exeter got a TC - this is a big decision and it needs to be considered carefully. But what I do feel comfortable in saying is that by getting a good grade (68+) in history at Exeter (or any other good uni!!), as well as the things I mentioned in my previous post, then you will be setting yourself up nicely as an attractive candidate. The fact that you're already thinking about these things convinces me that you're already on the right track. Whatever you do - just give it 100%.
    Considering I'll be studying History now, how would you suggest that I make it clear that I've been interested in Law from an early stage?

Ahaha, don't worry, I won't. I'm leaning towards Birmingham at the moment anyway; their modules are more appealing to me atm .

ReputationRep:
    Considering I'll be studying History now, how would you suggest that I make it clear that I've been interested in Law from an early stage?

Ahaha, don't worry, I won't. I'm leaning towards Birmingham at the moment anyway; their modules are more appealing to me atm .
    That you see history as excellent preparation for a career in law/develop similar academic skills whilst pursuing a subject that's of interest to you. History to law is a well-trodden path. Show that you read the legal/business press (assuming you will/do!) and illustrate your knowledge. This last thing is the most important; as long as you study a traditional academic subject, it doesn't really matter what it is.

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham, Nottingham and Exeter are all top unis if your final goal is to practise law. Doing any traditional subject at these will be as highly regarded (by top law firms) as if you actually did law.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.