Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Where do i start to get back into education? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've worked all my life since leaving school up until a year ago (age 30) when i was made redundant and was left looking for a new job. It seems that my work experience isn't enough for the jobs I've applied for because i lack the grades and education to back it up.

I'm at breaking point with the whole effort of rejection and i want to better myself in college/uni but i've got 0 idea on how to start looking for courses or how to get information on mature student options.

If anyone can point me in the right direction with regards to career advice or websites the help older people get back into education it would be very much appreciated.

Many Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm a!'mature' student too! It all depends what you are looking to do! If you have relevant work experience in the sector you are intending to take a course in, a strong personal statement and a quick word with the university maybe enough to get you in, in which case complete a ucas application on line. If you're looking to do something different or e experience is not that strong, you can do an access course, held by the uni or retake some a levels etc to bump up your ucas points.

It's best to look at what courses take your fancy, and at what university and then contact them. Mature students don't necessarily have to have the correct ucas point, but experience is then key. I was declined however from 3 universities but accepted from 2 even with 6 years experience and shed loads of training so it all depends on the uni, hence the need to contact the department xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kmcgowan13)
    Hi, I'm a!'mature' student too! It all depends what you are looking to do! If you have relevant work experience in the sector you are intending to take a course in, a strong personal statement and a quick word with the university maybe enough to get you in, in which case complete a ucas application on line. If you're looking to do something different or e experience is not that strong, you can do an access course, held by the uni or retake some a levels etc to bump up your ucas points.

It's best to look at what courses take your fancy, and at what university and then contact them. Mature students don't necessarily have to have the correct ucas point, but experience is then key. I was declined however from 3 universities but accepted from 2 even with 6 years experience and shed loads of training so it all depends on the uni, hence the need to contact the department xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi there - I agree with the comments above - it can depend on what courses you are interested in studying, your experiences and qualifications.

What are you hoping to study?

Kind regards
    Kerrie

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking into dietetics/nutrition but i have 0 work experience in this area and the only grades i have are from school and tbh they're not very good. English lit C, Science (all) Maths D, Business studies C, Geography C, the rest are D from other subjects.

Think i've left it so late because i lack confidence in myself... silly i know.

Thanks for the quick replies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnHerb)
    I'm looking into dietetics/nutrition but i have 0 work experience in this area and the only grades i have are from school and tbh they're not very good. English lit C, Science (all) Maths D, Business studies C, Geography C, the rest are D from other subjects.

Hi JohnHerb!
    Don't let your past experience of education put you off and don't think you can't do it because of your grades. I am a 'mature' student and my very first step was to seek guidance from the careers advisers from my local uni, which incidentally is the uni I wanted to go to anyway. Many uni's have mature student departments that do access courses for mature students who lack experience and/or qualifications in their chosen subject areas. Many of these access courses lead straight into the degree itself once completed.
    I start my study this year at the university of Leeds. Their Lifelong learning centre is fab and they helped both me and my brother get back into education after a few years out.
    So my advice to you would be to find out what your local/preferred uni has to offer in the way of mature student advice and start with a meeting with them. Everything will become clear then. Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks krissieshaw, it's posts like that which help me have more confidence in myself, i really appreciate the time and information giving by everyone so far.

I guess i've hit the jackpot on this forum, never had so many replies, so fast with helpful and confidence boosting information.

ReputationRep:
    I just want to add a thank you to the people who replied to John - this also relates to myself and thank you

ReputationRep:
    Go for it! Contact the uni to see what you would need to get on! You never know they may have spare spaces this year :-)

I'm bricking it!! But I know it will be worth the anxiety at the end! Portsmouth have been fab supporting me on my journey!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have to say I am in a similar postion having left school in '97 with just 1 grade C (English Language) and now I want to actually do something with my life and in a position where I can properly apply myself, I am struggling with taking the leap of faith and apply. Why? Well for me I look at the entry requirements and think back to when I was in school..... was I predicted those type of grades prior to hitting the self destruct button!?! NOPE And when you couple that with current students saying this degree is really hard, or that degree is for "academics" it does make you (at least for me it does) doubt yourself. After 11 years working for the same company, I am about to be made redundant, I have no debts (although have a mortgage) so now is the time to do it, but easier said than done.....

ReputationRep:
    Thanks krissieshaw, it's posts like that which help me have more confidence in myself, i really appreciate the time and information giving by everyone so far.

I guess i've hit the jackpot on this forum, never had so many replies, so fast with helpful and confidence boosting information.
    Hi again John. We have a nutrition course here at Kingston. Although I do not know what experience/ qualifications you would need - now might be a good time to call up the hotline ( 0844 842 9599) and have a chat with someone. Although they may say you are not qualified - you might find that you get to talk to an admissions tutor who can talk you through what they would need you to do in order to consider you another year.
    Make sure you highlight that you are a mature student with work experience!
    Also if you just want to talk with other mature students at university then check out our ASK US website. There are a few mature students on there - many who have been in employment for a few years and then like you wanted a change of career/ new goal and I am sure they would be happy to share their experiences with you.
    Good luck with everything
    Kerrie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JARS)
    I have to say I am in a similar postion having left school in '97 with just 1 grade C (English Language) and now I want to actually do something with my life and in a position where I can properly apply myself, I am struggling with taking the leap of faith and apply. Why? Well for me I look at the entry requirements and think back to when I was in school..... was I predicted those type of grades prior to hitting the self destruct button!?! NOPE And when you couple that with current students saying this degree is really hard, or that degree is for "academics" it does make you (at least for me it does) doubt yourself. After 11 years working for the same company, I am about to be made redundant, I have no debts (although have a mortgage) so now is the time to do it, but easier said than done.....
    Hi Jars - as I have just said to the person above - do not look at your school experiences and doubt yourself. You have held a job down for 11 years and will have a wealth of experience from that. As I said earlier you may need to do some type of Access course first - but it is worth giving our hotline (0844 842 9599) a call just to talk through with someone what your options are.

If you want more reassurance do have a chat with some of our mature students on our ASK US website !
    Good luck and keep believing in yourself!
    Kerrie

ReputationRep:
    I think if I had gone to uni at 18 I would have flunked out! However I'm going now because I want to, I'm excited, enthusiastic, and I know it's what I want to do! You will be more interested and there is so much support available too!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi John
    If you enter dietetics as a search term you will find several threads with advice about what qualifications and experience you need to get on to a dietetics degree.
    If you go down the Access course route, make sure your course has plenty of chemistry. Alternatively, if you have the chance to do a foundation science year after doing Access then take it up, it will help you enormously.
    Good luck.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.