Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I got my results (ABC) and rang up Leeds Uni and they said if I act fast I will be considered for clearing.

I was originally taking a gap year and hadn't even used UCAS before - I made an application and I've now applied for Sociology (ABB) through clearing.

Are my chances very slim?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollymasm)
    I got my results (ABC) and rang up Leeds Uni and they said if I act fast I will be considered for clearing.

I was originally taking a gap year and hadn't even used UCAS before - I made an application and I've now applied for Sociology (ABB) through clearing.

Well, if they've given you the indication that it was worth you making an application just to apply for this, it would be very naughty of them to lead you on, but call them up and talk to them. We are only guessing here.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:

If you do as Leeds say and act fast, then you have a chance.

With ABC you may be considered for ABB and BBB courses in Clearing, so it's worth a shot. Contact as many universities you are interested in as soon as you can. Once you have got verbal and email offers then you can add your Clearing choice on track.

ReputationRep:
    It's very hard to say, and what will happen will happen, but if they've said you'll be considered then things look relatively rosy, but far from guaranteed.

The particular potential spanner in the works is that you will be caught up in the ABB+ student number controls, an explanation of which is here http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works...umber-controls
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    If Leeds have suggested you have a chance, then ring them ASAP!

However, the cutoff between ABB and lower grades will be stricter this year, due to universities being able to offer places to as many ABB+ students as they want, without being fined. As you only have ABC, universities can only take you if they have space for you in their quotas. This is not to say some of them won't have, but if Leeds no longer have a place for you, you will probably have the best chance of securing a place if you contact universities asking for BBB or lower. Once you have some offers, you could try ringing up some courses with higher requirements, as they may still have some spaces- but you need to act quickly!

ReputationRep:
    I have rang them and they passed my details to the admission office, and I did the online clearing application on their website too.

Like I said I haven't used UCAS etc. before, I was originally taking a gap year (and still will be if I don't get into Leeds) and then resitting History (my C grade) in summer and applying along with the year below.

So I haven't seen any other universities so I don't really want to apply to a load of universities I don't really know anything about!

ReputationRep:
    Just got called with a verbal offer!

ReputationRep:
    Excellent!

ReputationRep:
    Thank You!! I'm just stuck on UCAS now - do I put foundation year or year one!!?!

ReputationRep:
    Thank You!! I'm just stuck on UCAS now - do I put foundation year or year one!!?!
    Year one, unless they've offered you a foundation degree, but it doesn't sound as if they have.

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yay! What will you be studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried Cardiff clearing?

ReputationRep:
    My friend got ABC

Offers from Warwick and Nottingham for Sociology. Leicester and Birmngham for politics. Also got an offer from Leeds (not sure of the course)

Through clearing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.