Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So yesterday I got my results- AABCC in maths, biology, physics, french and chemistry, respectively.

I was predicted AABAC, and my school set me target grades of AAAAB, I think because my GCSEs from my previous school were really good [7.5 A*s, 2 As, 0.5 B].

In January I got ABCD in maths, biology, chemistry and physics, and a B in a French mock. I wasn't allowed to resit the C in chemistry because it was two UMS from a B, but I took the D up to a B in physics

For summer I'd hoped for AABAB, and because I'm only two UMS from the B in chemistry I'm ok with that, but I can't believe how poorly I performed in French! It's the subject I find easiest, so I guess I got complacent

All along I was going to drop biology because it's just got so boring since we started with the A2 curriculum, but I can see that I could be in with a chance of an A* next year, even though I'll want to kill myself throughout...

Maybe I should instead drop chemistry, even though it's great, because I've just been solidly hitting a high C all year, which is disappointing really.

At university I want to do Mechanical Engineering, possibly with French or management, depending on the uni. At Sheffield, my favourite so far, I'll need AAA for that- do you think they'd let me in with A*ABB? I do lots of extra-curricular but nothing hugely engineering-related.

Sorry for the long post! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoe_Marie)
    So yesterday I got my results- AABCC in maths, biology, physics, french and chemistry, respectively.

I was predicted AABAC, and my school set me target grades of AAAAB, I think because my GCSEs from my previous school were really good [7.5 A*s, 2 As, 0.5 B].

In January I got ABCD in maths, biology, chemistry and physics, and a B in a French mock. I wasn't allowed to resit the C in chemistry because it was two UMS from a B, but I took the D up to a B in physics

For summer I'd hoped for AABAB, and because I'm only two UMS from the B in chemistry I'm ok with that, but I can't believe how poorly I performed in French! It's the subject I find easiest, so I guess I got complacent

All along I was going to drop biology because it's just got so boring since we started with the A2 curriculum, but I can see that I could be in with a chance of an A* next year, even though I'll want to kill myself throughout...

Maybe I should instead drop chemistry, even though it's great, because I've just been solidly hitting a high C all year, which is disappointing really.

At university I want to do Mechanical Engineering, possibly with French or management, depending on the uni. At Sheffield, my favourite so far, I'll need AAA for that- do you think they'd let me in with A*ABB? I do lots of extra-curricular but nothing hugely engineering-related.

Sorry for the long post! x
    For mech eng, you can most likely get away without chemistry.
    If the A* were in maths or physics they might let you in with that due to course relevance, but I can't speak for Sheffield, you're probably better off emailing an admissions tutor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joostan)
    For mech eng, you can most likely get away without chemistry.
    If the A* were in maths or physics they might let you in with that due to course relevance, but I can't speak for Sheffield, you're probably better off emailing an admissions tutor.
    I reckon if I try, I can get an A* in maths, I got 96% in my stats module, so I should be able to repeat that for the others as I didn't even understand statistics until the weekend before the exam!

I reckon I can pull the physics up to an A, I got an a in the main summer exam, which I'm pretty chuffed with tbh.

I've already met the admissions tutor for mechanical at Sheffield and he's lovely, but I forgot to ask him about leniency on B's when you're doing 4 subjects..

Thanks for your reply

ReputationRep:
    I reckon if I try, I can get an A* in maths, I got 96% in my stats module, so I should be able to repeat that for the others as I didn't even understand statistics until the weekend before the exam!

I reckon I can pull the physics up to an A, I got an a in the main summer exam, which I'm pretty chuffed with tbh.

I've already met the admissions tutor for mechanical at Sheffield and he's lovely, but I forgot to ask him about leniency on B's when you're doing 4 subjects..

Thanks for your reply
    No problem A*AB is similar to AAA in that there's the same UCAS Tariff, not that I set much store by that sort of thing. I don't know specifically about Sheffield or Mech. Eng, but leniency on missed grades if you do better than required in relevant subjects is fairly common

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joostan)
    No problem A*AB is similar to AAA in that there's the same UCAS Tariff, not that I set much store by that sort of thing. I don't know specifically about Sheffield or Mech. Eng, but leniency on missed grades if you do better than required in relevant subjects is fairly common

Super
    None of the universities I like use the UCAS tariff (Sheffield, Southampton, Exeter, Cardiff, Nottingham), which I think makes things easier, I just have to get A*AA- ABB to get into at least one of them.

But my original question- is it worth doing a whole year of a subject I hate, biology, to get an A or better, or should I scrap that and do chemistry, which is more fun, interesting and much harder, to get a B, hopefully?

ReputationRep:
    Super
    None of the universities I like use the UCAS tariff (Sheffield, Southampton, Exeter, Cardiff, Nottingham), which I think makes things easier, I just have to get A*AA- ABB to get into at least one of them.

But my original question- is it worth doing a whole year of a subject I hate, biology, to get an A or better, or should I scrap that and do chemistry, which is more fun, interesting and much harder, to get a B, hopefully?
    If you really dislike biology, then you might well be better off taking Chem. . . A better grade does look better. However dropping a subject might give you more time to focus on others.
    I'm sorry to say that I really don't know what's best for YOU. At the end of the day it's your decision.

ReputationRep:
    I'll probably drop biology, the compulsory homework alone takes up about 65% of my study time, and they expect us to do another half hour every day, while all the other subjects let us get on with it, which I like because it suits me better.

And my favourite biology teacher's leaving, while everyone else in the biology department seems to hate me!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.