Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I completely screwed up my A-levels and ended up with BDD, I got into university but it's quite low down the rankings and I've always wanted to be a barrister, which I'm afraid may be far less likely now.

I am considering resitting my A-levels and doing a third year, would you say this is wise? I just don't know, I want to go to university but I don't want these awful A-level results to be with me for the rest of my life, it's making me feel stupid and I just don't know what happened, I screwed up immensely. Not only would they look awful on my CV but future employers may also be put off.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LukeyJB)
    I completely screwed up my A-levels and ended up with BDD, I got into university but it's quite low down the rankings and I've always wanted to be a barrister, which I'm afraid may be far less likely now.

I am considering resitting my A-levels and doing a third year, would you say this is wise? I just don't know, I want to go to university but I don't want these awful A-level results to be with me for the rest of my life, it's making me feel stupid and I just don't know what happened, I screwed up immensely. Not only would they look awful on my CV but future employers may also be put off.
    If you're really that disappointed by your A levels, believe you can improve on them and are prepared to spend a third year resitting A levels then I think it's a good idea.

There's no point going to a university you don't want to be at on a course you are not enjoying. Most likely you'll end up lacking motivation and either do badly or drop out.

ReputationRep:
    A career at the Bar is really tough - expensive too and you do need really good academic results!

Do read this and think it through!

http://barcouncil.org.uk/becoming-a-...e-a-barrister/

good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LukeyJB)

I'm in a similar position, I got BCD and I don't want to go to a bad uni so I'm resitting year 13 - I would resit so you can get onto the course you want. It's only a year out and at least you'll end up doing what you want in the end, and as you said, employers will probably be put off by seeing D's. Speak to your college and tell them what your situation is and ask what your options are for resitting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zottula)
    If you're really that disappointed by your A levels, believe you can improve on them and are prepared to spend a third year resitting A levels then I think it's a good idea.

There's no point going to a university you don't want to be at on a course you are not enjoying. Most likely you'll end up lacking motivation and either do badly or drop out.
    My main worry is that a lot of universities won't look at people who have done a third year... I just don't know what happened, I was predicted AAB and I completely messed it up.

ReputationRep:
    I re did my a levels and got a load of work experience and I got into the uni I was originally rejected from with my work experience being used as I was just off my offer.

well... 'better' unis are far more likely to consider you with improved grades if you re-sat a year got work experience etc ...at least then you'll have a chance of acceptance rather than with your current grades

it may well be worth the risk at least then you will have a chance

ReputationRep:
    I honestly don't know, I mean if I kept with university and tried hard in my first year to get a first then surely that counts? I spoke with the head of the law school at Leeds Met and he was saying how it's not so much about where you go (with most chambers) but it's about you and how you perform at degree level.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar situation and what I really want to know is whether we'll be discriminated/penalised for re-taking A-levels!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.