The Student Room Group

Ex suggested meeting up

My ex and I had a bad break up last year (he met another girl) and we went through a period of no contact. Before the summer we regained contact and we're meeting up on Sunday to go for a drink on his suggestion.

There's definitely no feelings on my side positive or negative, but I'm beginning to wonder whether I should cancel because I guess this is unusual behaviour for him since he's not friends with any of his exes and I'm not sure his girlfriend knows. Part of me wants to go out of curiosity, but another part of me is wondering whether it's worth having a blast from the past.

Thoughts?
Reply 1
It sounds a bit weird to me. I mean fair enough, it could be an innocent meet up, but I don't think ex's can ever truly 'just be friends' (well, in my experience). So if you do go, be careful not to fall into a trap :s
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
My ex and I had a bad break up last year (he met another girl) and we went through a period of no contact. Before the summer we regained contact and we're meeting up on Sunday to go for a drink on his suggestion.

There's definitely no feelings on my side positive or negative, but I'm beginning to wonder whether I should cancel because I guess this is unusual behaviour for him since he's not friends with any of his exes and I'm not sure his girlfriend knows. Part of me wants to go out of curiosity, but another part of me is wondering whether it's worth having a blast from the past.

Thoughts?

Exes can never be friend and shouldn't be friend cos of awkwardness and chances of falling again. Well if you don't feel anything for him, its better to politely say you are busy and won't have time to meet up.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 3
I don't believe that exes can't be friends. I went through a rough breakup in January. He wanted to be friends as soon as possible and I knew then that it would never work, but now seven months later we talk quite a bit and we've run in to each other in the city twice without any real awkwardness (even met his new boyfriend once), and no feelings reemerging or anything. If you know that you're okay, then it won't hurt to just grab the drinks. Worst comes the worst, the friendship doesn't work out and you move your separate ways for good. Best case, you get a friendship back that maybe you both were missing.

You can even joke about whether his girlfriend knows or not, and if she doesn't (or if he avoids the question) then you can say that's odd, or that it makes you uncomfortable. But giving it a shot seems worth it to me!
i posted this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2433537
for that reason i wouldn't meet up, an ex is an ex for a reason.

I thought i would be fine as friends but the feelings came flooding back. IF he has told his gf and you get to meet her then thats different. however i doubt it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending