Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm going college next month to do my A levels; what is the teaching at college like? And what about the environment/people there? I've heard bad things which make it more scary...

Doing Maths, Business and ICT, hope Maths is not too hard for me. Is it really as difficult as people say?

ReputationRep:
    ?????

ReputationRep:
    Help!!!?!?

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mohy1)
    Hey,

I'm going college next month to do my A levels; what is the teaching at college like? And what about the environment/people there? I've heard bad things which make it more scary...

Doing Maths, Business and ICT, hope Maths is not too hard for me. Is it really as difficult as people say?
    Sorry, I can't help you with how college is like (I'm going to sixth form). However, what I can tell you is that no matter whether you're going to sixth form or college there will be people you don't click with, whilst they'll be others you hit it straight off with.
    Would you care to elaborate on what bad things you've heard about college?

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the college you go to. Sixth forms are usually a lot better in comparison to most colleges, tgere may be many disrractions in a college environment but if you just focus on your exams and your academic situation and make a decent group of friends you should be absolutely fine. Try not to make any enemies and be confident about everything! Im going to sixth form next year myself, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mohy1)
    Hey,

hi, I have no idea what college you are going to personally, so i cant comment on that. But i know quite a few people that moved to a college instead of a sixth form and said they preferred it.

i have been to 3 different colleges, and they have all been great. the teaching is really good at the college i am at now, and it was also good at the other colleges

the environment in general seems to be a bit more relaxed than some sixth forms, but it can still be similar depending on where you go. and all of the people i have met at college are really nice people, including the teachers

is there anything in particular you have heard that is making you feel like it is scary? i may be able to help if I know what you have been told.

and as for the maths part, I am also doing maths, and I have been told by doctors that i definitely will not be able to handle A-Levels but I'm not giving up because of that, and i have decided to look over a few things from the 1st module so i can understand it more, if you really are worried, perhaps you could try looking at a few things before you start too.

sorry for the ramble but if you would like anything else, just quote or PM

ReputationRep:
    mine was ****. had a few good teachers but the rest were idiots. school had crap resources too.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard that people go college just to mess around and don't care about their grades etc
    I'm wondering if this would affect me...

And also some have said that the teaching is not good at college's?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mohy1)
    I've heard that people go college just to mess around and don't care about their grades etc
    I'm wondering if this would affect me...

And also some have said that the teaching is not good at college's?
    I imagine this varies from college to college, but trust me it doesn't matter. If someone is really disrupting a college class the teacher can just tell them to leave, they have no obligation to be there.
    With maths it depends, you will either hate it or love it. Don't pick it though unless you like maths and/or are fairly good at it (got an A at gcse etc).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What about the age range? I'm 16 and don't want to be in a lesson with all older people (20+ maybe)...

This is the college: http://www.bradfordcollege.ac.uk/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mohy1)
    What about the age range? I'm 16 and don't want to be in a lesson with all older people (20+ maybe)...

This is the college: http://www.bradfordcollege.ac.uk/
    Almost everyone at mine came straight from school. It's more informal in terms of choosing how to spend frees, no uniform. But pretty strict rules, most people make the effort. It's a good environment overall.

However, in Sussex for some reason, comprehensive schools don't have their own sixth form, so everyone has to go to a big college. Not a choice between the two!

ReputationRep:
    I want to do Accounting at uni but if I change my mind what other degrees could I do with these subjects (Maths, Business and ICT) at A level?

ReputationRep:
    ???

ReputationRep:
    I want to do Accounting at uni but if I change my mind what other degrees could I do with these subjects (Maths, Business and ICT) at A level?

And are ICT and Business classed as weak A levels (will I be at a disadvantage to others)? Should I take something else? I can only take 3 AS; I know most do 4 but does it make a big difference if I do 3 (got no choice at the college I'm looking at)??

Please help! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mohy1)
    Hey,

I can obviously only speak for my own college, but there were far less people messing about and far more people wanting to actually learn - although that didn't stop the occasional idiot 'class clown' type slipping through the net.

I loved my first year as you get so much more freedom and independence, and generally the atmosphere is a lot more mature. If you can survive 5 years in a secondary school environment then don't be scared of college at all!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks that's given me some confidence

ReputationRep:
    Which is which?? Where I go is huge (4k people) and we are a "Sixth Form College". (Farnborough Sixth if you are wondering.)

I personally prefer the size of a speciallist sixth form, the students seem to be treated more as adults and the facilities and staff are "better" as they don't have to deal with younger students as the teachers have to do in a schools sixth form. Going to sixth form is a new experience for everyone (esspecially if you are going to a dedicated sixth form.), you generally have a much nicer atmosphere than at secondary school. Work is much more difficult as AS is a step up from GCSE, however its a step up that everyone deals with pretty well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.