Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ​so does university rank matter to you?

ReputationRep:
    As I want to study languages it is fairly important to me and I'm only looking at Russell Group ones because I know I can get into them and I feel I'd develop a better fluency there than elsewhere. But firstly course content is important, i would rather enjoy my studies than go somewhere based on rank and not do so. Of course, when employers look at your degree they'll be looking at where you got it from - they'd rather have an Oxbridge graduate than someone who went to somewhere like UWE. that's probably why your parents are pissed. But ignore them because it's your life not theirs and if you're happy that's all that matters!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well.... thing is there is no way to deny the fact that higher ranked institutions are usually the ones with the better facilities, faculties and hence are more likely to foster students. A billion plus endowment of Oxbridge is a large difference compared to my uni's 500m endowment.

Also, for me personally, yes, since I'm an international student and it won't help if the university is not very well known outside the UK, no matter how good it's student sanctification score is.

On the other hand, a degree is something you should enjoy and strive to do well at the same time. There's no point in going to the "best"university in the world if you don't enjoy it, and don't fully appreciate the extra facilities available. Ask your parents whether they want a crappy student in the best university, or the best student in a slightly more mediocre university.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 16, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.