Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to go to LSE to study accounting and finance.I just finished my first year at college and got A's in maths, economics, English literature and media studies. I plan to drop media at A2. At GCSE I got 4A*'s, 8As and 2Bs. However I don't do too much out of my academic life, and I'm afraid my personal statement won't be good enough. I work at a charity shop and I have one relevant work experience in the finance department of a law firm, but other than that I don't have much else. I know that LSE is very competitive and I don't know if my A-level subjects will be good enough or if my lack of extra curricular activities will hinder my application significantly. Advice please? I don't know if I'm being too ambitious thinking I should apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JodieW)
    I want to go to LSE to study accounting and finance.I just finished my first year at college and got A's in maths, economics, English literature and media studies. I plan to drop media at A2. At GCSE I got 4A*'s, 8As and 2Bs. However I don't do too much out of my academic life, and I'm afraid my personal statement won't be good enough. I work at a charity shop and I have one relevant work experience in the finance department of a law firm, but other than that I don't have much else. I know that LSE is very competitive and I don't know if my A-level subjects will be good enough or if my lack of extra curricular activities will hinder my application significantly. Advice please? I don't know if I'm being too ambitious thinking I should apply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Read some books. Show that you're interesting in A&F.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lunch_Box)
    Read some books. Show that you're interesting in A&F.
    I've done that and I will be mentioning it in my PS, thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Universities tend not to be massively interested in your extra-curiculars, unless they are relevant to the course. Having some relevant work experience is good. They like you to have read around the subject- perhaps you could ask some people on here to reccomend a few books for you to read. The most important thing in a PS is to express your passion for the subject. If you have strong predicted grades, this will help your application. I think your GCSEs are fine, provided they meet any GCSE requirements LSE may have for your course. The only specific A level they ask for is maths, so you meet this requirement.

However LSE is very competitive, and every year it rejects lots of outstanding students, so try not to pin your hopes on it. No-one can say exactly what your chances are, as they don't know the standard of the other students applying this year. You get five choices, so maybe now is the time to think about where else you would like to go if you haven't already.

ReputationRep:
    I think you have a good shot. Just try to get an A* in Mathematics and it should strengthen your chances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
    Universities tend not to be massively interested in your extra-curiculars, unless they are relevant to the course. Having some relevant work experience is good. They like you to have read around the subject- perhaps you could ask some people on here to reccomend a few books for you to read. The most important thing in a PS is to express your passion for the subject. If you have strong predicted grades, this will help your application. I think your GCSEs are fine, provided they meet any GCSE requirements LSE may have for your course. The only specific A level they ask for is maths, so you meet this requirement.

However LSE is very competitive, and every year it rejects lots of outstanding students, so try not to pin your hopes on it. No-one can say exactly what your chances are, as they don't know the standard of the other students applying this year. You get five choices, so maybe now is the time to think about where else you would like to go if you haven't already.
    Thank you for the response! I think LSE is the most competitive of all my ink choices so hopefully I will get at least an offer from one of the other four.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dilzo999)
    I think you have a good shot. Just try to get an A* in Mathematics and it should strengthen your chances.
    I hope I can get an A* predicted grade for maths but I doubt it. Does anyone know if it's true that colleges generally only only predict A* grades for those who scored 90% or more in their AS exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JodieW)
    I hope I can get an A* predicted grade for maths but I doubt it. Does anyone know if it's true that colleges generally only only predict A* grades for those who scored 90% or more in their AS exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Depends on the school really. If you truly believe you can get an A* then beg your teacher to predict you an A* but remember that, if you can't get it then you'll be lining yourself up for rejection come next results day. Either way requirements are AAA so I still think you're fine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.