The Student Room Group

Anyone else starting uni around their birthday?

My birthdays the 15th September, which is a sunday. Freshers week starts on the 16th. But I'm assuming this is the day we enroll on our courses and get ID cards etc etc so can't be missed unless you have a damn good reason !?!?!

Does anyone else has this kind of a situation? Obviously if you're living at home for uni then this wouldn't be so much of a problem as you can still spend your birthday with your friends and family. But my uni town is 5 hours by train/car from home, and I wouldn't want to be getting back too late and walking round the streets of an unfamiliar town, in the dark.

If you're in a similar situation, what are you doing for your birthday? Or if not, what do you suggest I do for mine?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

This thread probably belongs in student life. You'll get more answers if you repost it there.

However, enrollment is usually on different days, depending on the course, and you may not need to be at your university on the 16th. At some stage they will send you a fresher's week timetable, so why not wait until you have this before worrying about what you are going to do?
Reply 2
If I don't need to be there until the 17th or 18th then I could have my birthday at home :smile:

I did think this might be in a wrong section and reported myself :eek: saying its probably best to move it. When I posted it, I wasn't sure and thought it could always be moved if someone thinks of a better section for it.
Reply 3
Original post by nic-nac
If I don't need to be there until the 17th or 18th then I could have my birthday at home :smile:

I did think this might be in a wrong section and reported myself :eek: saying its probably best to move it. When I posted it, I wasn't sure and thought it could always be moved if someone thinks of a better section for it.

Throw yourself a party - invite your flatmates/block

Use it as a positive
Reply 4
I have this exact problem, my birthday is the 15th too and I've already checked that it's the day I'll be moving in, I can't even throw a spontaneous party in the evening either 'cause I'm supposed to be going to a gig! But yeah that's just one of my many problems -sigh-
Reply 5
Original post by TenOfThem
Throw yourself a party - invite your flatmates/block

Use it as a positive

I'll be in private accommodation as I didn't get into halls.

Original post by esmith94
I have this exact problem, my birthday is the 15th too and I've already checked that it's the day I'll be moving in, I can't even throw a spontaneous party in the evening either 'cause I'm supposed to be going to a gig! But yeah that's just one of my many problems -sigh-

I'll be 20, what about you?

I'm in private accommodation, (which I'm still looking for :eek: ) I might be moving in that weekend, but seeing as it's private I can probably get the keys any time after the contracts have been signed and I've paid the deposit and first lot of rent. So I might be moving in on the friday or there abouts just before. At least that way I'm settled in and can find my way around the town before uni starts. And if I don't have to enroll until after the 16th, and I have already moved in before the sunday, I could go home for my birthday. But then again, if I've just made new friends, I don't want to ditch them.
(edited 10 years ago)
Honestly, it will be fine. Freshers week doesn't determine your social life for the rest of university. If you don't have to be in uni on the Monday, then you may as well spend your birthday at home if that will make you happier.
Reply 7
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Honestly, it will be fine. Freshers week doesn't determine your social life for the rest of university. If you don't have to be in uni on the Monday, then you may as well spend your birthday at home if that will make you happier.

I think Portsmouth has a freshers fortnight actually ! But I'm just worried that the 16th is an important day where we enroll etc, so don't want to miss it. If it is just tours round the uni and parties in the evenings then I dont mind missing the first day of it.
Reply 8
Original post by nic-nac
I think Portsmouth has a freshers fortnight actually ! But I'm just worried that the 16th is an important day where we enroll etc, so don't want to miss it. If it is just tours round the uni and parties in the evenings then I dont mind missing the first day of it.

Well

A quick look at your union web page suggests that you would miss the chance of a day's shopping at IKEA

Call and ask
Reply 9
Original post by nic-nac
I'll be 20, what about you?

I'm in private accommodation, (which I'm still looking for :eek: ) I might be moving in that weekend, but seeing as it's private I can probably get the keys any time after the contracts have been signed and I've paid the deposit and first lot of rent. So I might be moving in on the friday or there abouts just before. At least that way I'm settled in and can find my way around the town before uni starts. And if I don't have to enroll until after the 16th, and I have already moved in before the sunday, I could go home for my birthday. But then again, if I've just made new friends, I don't want to ditch them.

I'll be 19 and in halls and the university has already said I can't move in any earlier or later, that is if I get in to halls at all because it's my second choice university :/
Reply 10
I'll be 19 and in halls and the university has already said I can't move in any earlier or later, that is if I get in to halls at all because it's my second choice university :/

I didn't think people who put it as an insurance choice could apply for halls? i put it as my firm and didn't get into halls. Have they said you are in halls or not?
Reply 11
Original post by nic-nac
I didn't think people who put it as an insurance choice could apply for halls? i put it as my firm and didn't get into halls. Have they said you are in halls or not?

Sorry, I should've said, my insurance is Winchester and they're letting me apply but can't guarantee I'll get a room
Why don't you celebrate at home just before your birthday and then go out with flatmates when you get there?
Reply 13
My birthday is September 24th - a couple of years ago when I started uni, I moved in the day after my birthday. Didn't fancy spending my birthday in a strange new place, possibly alone!
Reply 14
Mines 21st of September, move into my new halls on the 16th of September. I actually have no clue what I'll be doing. Going to turn 20.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Moving in on the 14th, birthday in the 22th i.e last day of Freshers week, and I have no idea what I'm doing :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nic-nac

The first week of fresher's fortnight tends to mostly be parties and things. Most of the important stuff tends to happen in the second week. Portsmouth will send you a fresher's week timetable at some stage, so then you'll know- none of us can tell you (although if someone else did the same course as you at Portsmouth recently they can give you a rough idea of what's likely).
Reply 17
You know you dont have to celebrate your birthday on your actual birthday right? So you can do something small on the day or nothing at all and then have a big do another time when you're free
Reply 18
Original post by TenOfThem

-

Original post by SlowlorisIncognito

Original post by dean01234
?

Original post by -aimz
!

Original post by ElChapo

Turns out I have to be at the uni at 9am on monday the 16th so spending my actual birthday with my family/boyfriend might not be doable. BUT I am probably moving into my accommodation on the 14th, in which case they could stay overnight in portsmouth and spend the sunday with me ?
Original post by nic-nac
Turns out I have to be at the uni at 9am on monday the 16th so spending my actual birthday with my family/boyfriend might not be doable. BUT I am probably moving into my accommodation on the 14th, in which case they could stay overnight in portsmouth and spend the sunday with me ?

Good plan :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest