Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Mg(s) + 2HCl (aq) --> MgCl2 (aq) + H2(g)

In the equation above, I can work out the order of HCl by adding magnesium ribbon to HCl, then collect the H2 gas and record the volume of gas at set time intervals. Plotting volume against time, I can find out the rate of reaction. Then if I repeat the experiment for different concentrations of HCl I can compare the rates of reactions and work out the order of HCl.

But how would I work out the order of magnesium / How do I change the concentration of magnesium?

(this is for the A2 Investigation Coursework)
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SherlockHolmes)
    Mg(s) + 2HCl (aq) --> MgCl2 (aq) + H2(g)

In the equation above, I can work out the order of HCl by adding magnesium ribbon to HCl, then collect the H2 gas and record the volume of gas at set time intervals. Plotting volume against time, I can find out the rate of reaction. Then if I repeat the experiment for different concentrations of HCl I can compare the rates of reactions and work out the order of HCl.

But how would I work out the order of magnesium / How do I change the concentration of magnesium?

(this is for the A2 Investigation Coursework)
    The rate equation tells you the relationship between rate and the concentrations of the species present.

Mg is a solid and hence cannot have a concentration.

The 'orders' only apply to dissolved substances or gases, i.e. something which is in a homogeneous phase.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    The rate equation tells you the relationship between rate and the concentrations of the species present.

Mg is a solid and hence cannot have a concentration.

The 'orders' only apply to dissolved substances or gases, i.e. something which is in a homogeneous phase.
    I have been told to form a rate equation for the reaction, so is there anyway to modify the experiment or use a different equation to work out the orders of both the reactants?

If I dissolve magnesium powder in water first would this work?
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I have been told to form a rate equation for the reaction, so is there anyway to modify the experiment or use a different equation to work out the orders of both the reactants?

If I dissolve magnesium powder in water first would this work?
    It is not possible to dissolve magnesium in water.

Please read my previous post.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    It is not possible to dissolve magnesium in water.

Please read my previous post.
    I see... if magnesium cannot have a concentration then does that mean a rate equation does not exist for the reaction?

ReputationRep:
    Mg doesn't 'really' have an order as it's solid afaik.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tamimi)
    Mg doesn't 'really' have an order as it's solid afaik.
    Ok, now I am confused as to how I am meant to form a rate equation.

Thanks for the clarification anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Its easier if you employ another reaction which involved 2 dissolved reactants, such as an acid-alkali neutralisation reaction. My teacher said so.

I think you should do for an organic reaction, shouldn't you? There are a lot of possible reactions

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I see... if magnesium cannot have a concentration then does that mean a rate equation does not exist for the reaction?
    Yes, you can have a rate equation, but it can only contain the acid concentration....

ReputationRep:
    If anyone needs help check out retro teach 32 on tutor hunt
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help everyone

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.